Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAPPY Act? What it says about US Politics?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The US Congress considers the HAPPY Act (Humanity And Pets Partnered through the Years), HR 3501, while waging two wars and undergoing the greatest financial meltdown since the Great Depression? Have they gone completely mad?

Was this bill proposed by a Republican? Is Thaddeus McCotter the 4th term US House Representative for the State of Michigan? Will HAPPY be a part of the Republican platform for the 2010 mid-term elections? Is the $3,500 possible tax deduction almost as high as that given for one child under 18? Who needs kids, we'll just have pets!

Sources:
    http://taxvox.taxpolicycenter.org/blog/_archives/2009/8/7/4281284.html
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3501:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pets-save-taxes-congress-debate-happy-act/story?id=8811927

If the HAPPY Act passes, and Blue and Cinful go out and purchase a gold fish, does this mean that we could write "Goldie" and her maintenance off our US taxes (up to $3,500 USD tax credit per year)? Just think of all the water changes that "Goldie" would have to have in a water-starved Southern California semi-arid desert coastline for a year (maybe a French water import)? The water pump could be specially built by Rolls Royce and imported from the UK? The water filtration system could be designed and imported from the water expert engineers found at Dubai? What about an Irish Waterford crystal bowl for "Goldie" to float about in? Food for "Goldie" would have to be organic too, because her health, growth, and development would be foremost! And how about playful and attractive ornaments to be placed in "Goldie's" watery environment, that could be bought from the same posh stores that Sarah Palin shopped at during her campaign (Neiman Marcus, et al)? And last but not least, would "Goldie" occasionally need the services of a Fish Whisperer in order to ensure her state of mind?

Wait a minute! "Goldie" might get lonely without the opposite member of her species about to give her a little TLC? Since I file my taxes independently, Cinful can go out and duplicate "Goldie's" environment and create a watery environment for "Mr Gold," but a bit more macho with maybe a Sacs Fifth Avenue castle inside his Waterford crystal bowl, and claim him on her taxes?

$3,500 Blue and $3,500 Cinful write-off = $7,000 USD per year! Whoa! Those are fish that laid the golden eggs! But we cannot vote for Michigan Republican Thaddeus McCotter from California, unless he becomes a candidate for VP or President in 2012? That's it Republicans! We've found your presidential candidate for 2012! I mean, who would vote against someone that wants to make them HAPPY?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,332 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Uhm - I can't criticize this. I can get a kitty on my measely income now.

funny-pictures-kitten-has-a-happy.jpg

Morbo is also reportedly pleased on behalf of PETA.

profilepic10442_1.gif
    Morbo wrote:
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Are Foxes covered as pets?

What about when the pet has shuffled off it's mortal coil? If I was a naturalised citizen of Sino-Korean heritage in USA, and my pet dog died, could I make a HAPPY meal out of him, as often happens in Korea/China? Could I claim on garnishes to go with it...side salad/chips/hot dog buns?

(Lol at The Fish Whisperer.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What about when the pet has shuffled off it's mortal coil?

There's probably an exception for Norwegian Blues. Due to the plumage.

NTM

Advertisement