Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hand Cream

• 11-11-2009 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest a good handcream for the dry, cracking skin on my knuckles! I've tried regular moisturiser but failed. Also tried vaseline, but not doing much good!
    It happens in the cold every year, it hurt, boo :(

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

I get the same in the winter. I am using La Roche Rosay Lipikar hand repair cream. I find it very good. Have also found Nutragena good in the past, but when it's cold I have to wear gloves too, to avoid the really sore cracked skin. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 catkingcole

this months marie clare has a free Crabtree and Evelyn hand cream that i'm really liking. smells really fresh and oceanic and does a decent job of softening. i've been keeping it on the coffee table so i end up using it if i'm just sitting watching tv which is good because it gives time to soak in.

sugar and olive oil mixed together and used as a gentle scrub is really good too, you feel like you have brand new hands afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Handy gurugu from Lush. It's magic! Lovely and thick and is great when the weather gets cold!

*or if you worked down in the laundry room like I used to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I find the Elizabeth Arden Either Hour hand cream brilliant - although it is expensive so I only use it when I really need to.

I also use the Dove Pro Age hand cream (in the red tube) as it's also brilliant and it's cheap too.

Also, I find, every time I wash my hands, if I put some handcream on, my hands/skin are very soft.

I only use a little bit of cream though, cos I find if I put too much on, my hands are greasy.:o

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

The L'Occitane handcream is great, it has shea butter in it. Elizabeth 8 hr one is great too.
    Although I find that as soon as I wash my hands it all comes off and it's like it was never there. I even tried wearing those white gloves (bought them in the body shop) at night after applying handcream but it didn't make that much difference. Maybe you need to do it every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Aveda Hand Relief (I know, I know) is lovely. It is thick and moisturising but still absorbs easily. It smells divine too. I also like the L'occitane lavender one, but it isn't as rich as the Aveda one.

I work in a very cold spot and always get really sore chapped hands in winter. I think the key is to apply hand cream EVERY time you wash your hands and wear gloves as much as you can :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Also, stop using the vaseline. If your skin is cracked vaseline will do it no favours, it's petroleum based and will dry the bejayzus outta your skin.

Go for something with cocoa and/or shea butter in it, with some gentle oils to soothe your skin. (almond oil or lavender oil would be great)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Product.aspx?prod=01MA150KA

I love L'Occitane 20% shea butter hand cream. Seriously amazing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I also reccomend the L'Occtaine hand cream, or what I throw on when on field walks and stuff in the cold: Boots Skin Therapy Emollient cream: it's lanolin and almond oil based, works a treat for my ezcema too, and it's only about 3 pounds in Boots for a 300g tub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Either the La Roche Posay stuff mentioned further up, or this stuff;

http://www.lotil-cream.com/locr17oztuma.html

Lotil cream, from most pharmacies.

And ALWAYS moisturize your hands after each time you wash them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

try dermalogica body hydrating cream, its a body lotion but contains aha's which are lik little pac man which will eat up the flakes and allow the moisturising ingredients to penetrate deeper. also try a parrafin wax treatment, you could buy the equipment cheaply enough in salon services, or enquire in a salon to have the treatment as prt of a manicure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Clarins hand and nail treatment cream is my favourite by far! It's really rich but not greasy, magic stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭spudz22

my knuckles tend to crack and bleed in the winter so before i go to bed at night, i clean my knuckles then use silcocks (sp?) base cream. It's generally used for eczema but it's great for dry skin! I then make sure I wear gloves when I'm out in winter. also really good for dry elbows before you put tan on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Neutrogena hand cream, the ad on tv says it's amazing haha. Ah no, seriously, it is good, especially if you are on a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

elizabeth arden is great and the body shop do a brilliant hemp hand cream aswell!!

Advertisement