Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photobox , flicker etc.

• 11-11-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I have hundreds of photos that I have taken in the past few years but only now have I had the time to organize them. I loaded a number of them on an old laptop using picasa and others are in my pictures. Others are on my sons pc again with picasa. I want to ensure that I don't lose any of them.
    Can someone explain to me how photobox , flicker etc. work.
    I have some photos that I would like to share with others but would not like people to use these photos without my permission.
    Any help would be appreciated. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Highly recommend pix.ie. And it's IRISH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

shawnee wrote: »
    I have some photos that I would like to share with others but would not like people to use these photos without my permission.

As an aside, if you want the above to be true then there's only one way to be sure. And that is ... Don't upload them to the internet :D Seriously. You're making tradeoffs between accessibility and access and privacy in uploading them. If you want security then burn them to a DVD and hand them out to people you trust. Otherwise, for conveniences sakes, upload them and don't worry too much about it.

Flickr -does- offer a variety of ways of staying off the radar with respect to searches. Obviously nothing is foolproof (see above) but you can make your entire stream private and then send email invites to people for particular pictures or sets. This allows them to see only those instances. I don't know whether or not pix.ie offers similar functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Apologies, I was rushing into a meeting and misread the question. Aside from recommending Pix.ie, it also gives you an option to make photos private on upload so only you can view them. If you don't want anyone to use your photos at all then obviously complete privacy is recommended. If you make then open to the public, but put a copyright on them, then you will only deter honest viewers.

Flickr offers the same, and maybe a little bit more, but you have to pay to get some of the flickr features that pix.ie offers for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks Karma for explaining the features and I will check them out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

Pix.ie and Flickr offer similar services and functionality, but they are photo sharing websites, not archival services.
    You can use them for that, but you'll quickly run out of space - especially on flickr - 200 shots in the free account.
    Not 100% sure on pix.ie limits, but they offer a lot more than flickr.

Googles picasa has an online photosharing element.
    Again space could be an issue.

A proper regular backup on an external drive is the best way to safegaurd against loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

+ 1 for pix.ie. You can upload 500Mb per month. You can keep all or some of your photos private. You can control who can access them. You can participate in the community. What more do you want?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Anyway, +1 for Pix.ie also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Recommendation for pix.ie as well.

Bear in mind that once you upload them and give access to even just a single person to view them you will lose control over where they might end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I tend to use pix.ie more than flickr. I am a member of both.

If you want group activity then flickr. Otherwise pix.ie imho.

Pix.ie don't have the ability to limit the displayed image size which may be an issue for you. For me I just upload the maximum size that I want to see on the internet. Again as others have pointed out, they are sharing sites more than archival sites.

Advertisement