Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Larionovo - Give me back my €440,000 life savings

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:11am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/give-me-back-my-8364440000-life-savings-1939188.html

By Fiach Kelly

Wednesday November 11 2009

FATHER-of-three Alan O'Neill remortgaged his home and ploughed his pension, personal savings and money set aside for his children's education into the Dubai scheme.

The ice salesman, from Ballycullen in south Dublin, travelled to Dubai before committing his money. He liked what he saw and hoped the investment would yield cash for his family's future. But now he has no idea where the €440,000 he put into the scheme four years ago is, or what it has been used for.

"I read about it in the papers and it sounded interesting," he said. "I went over and I was just sold on the Larionova idea and the concept.

"I've invested in four different properties with Larionovo. The first one was International City, which is now completed and I still don't have deeds or keys for it. I've seen the end product, the site. I've bought in Sports City -- Westgate is 60pc paid, again through Larionovo and Profile. The third property I bought was Snowdome through Larionovo and Profile and 32 group, which is 50pc paid.

"I've a €10,000 deposit paid on another one -- the Waterfront -- to Larionovo. I have no idea where that has gone."

He returned to Dubai again last year to see what progress had been made on the developments.

"I was over there twice last year and they were just up to sub-floor level. There were no problems at the start and all the indications were fantastic until Larionovo disappeared overnight.

"The last contact I had was around nine or 10 months ago and I've been trying to email them and had people email on my behalf but there's been no joy.

"I'm planning to go over there in December to find out for myself. I don't think it will be completed. I'd like my money back at the moment because I really need the cash at home."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pretty sad to hear. I mean you can point out the fact that he should never have left himself so open to something going wrong and being so reliant on this crowd with remortaging his home and putting everything he had into it, but still. Think he's still in denial that he'll ever see anything back too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pure greed

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't think I'd call it greed - just naivety, ignorance and getting caught up in the hubris.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

I don't think I'd call it greed - just naivety, ignorance and getting caught up in the hubris.

There's getting caught up in the hubris, and then, there's a even a slight sense of personal responsibility. If you stick 'money set aside for your children's education' into a property scheme in a country you don't know anything about, it's pretty hard to be viewed as a just a poor innocent victim of the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Have to agree. It's all well and good making an investment, anyone's entitled to do that if they wish, but dumping everything into overseas property like that was just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on getting caught up in the hubris :rolleyes:
    Hello personal responsibility.
    There are numerous so called hardluck stories now appearing.
    They are often not hardluck at all, but they are people who spent money that they never had, they had no concept of fiscal control, put all money into get rich quick schemes and now they are complaining when they either have no money or people want their money back.

The other week there was some guy from Waterford in paper whose wife left him, now isn't earning enough to pay mortgage and credit card debt.
    He complained about MBNA chasing him.
    The twist was he mentioned that along with remortgaging to do up the house, he got 10 or 15 grand credit limit on his card.
    He thought he would never go that high, but lo and behold he did and is now getting chased for the repayments.
    Hello why the hell did you run up such huge amount on your credit card ?

I went to a fair few property investment shows and you had to go with a sceptical mind just like if you went to a car dealer and not the fancy ones with the big showrooms (I am not that rich or don't borrow that much ;)).
    There were just too many "great opportunitities" and some things just looked too good to be true.
    As an old colleague used to say, "if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it bloody well is a duck".

I am surprised that someone who is supposedly in sales got taken in by the snake oil salesmen :rolleyes:
    Have to agree. It's all well and good making an investment, anyone's entitled to do that if they wish, but dumping everything into overseas property like that was just asking for trouble.

There is an old proverb "don't put all your eggs in the one basket".
    In this case the guy not alone put his eggs in the basket, he decided to borrow to put eggs he didn't even own in the basket.

Even if he decided to put all money into overseas property why not spread it around and invest in something in a mature more reliable market.
    So yes I think there was an element of greed in his investing.
    He went for the big returns, that were being promised.
    He backed the 100/1 shot and the horse has now bolted.

Ps before people start saying I am heartless so and so, I have got burnt on an investment, but I only lost an amount that I could afford to lose and that is the difference.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

smccarrick wrote: »

How do you make €440,000 selling ice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Hard to feel sorry for anyone who risks money set aside for their kids education.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just read this, hard to have any sympathy, the one thing about investments is never put your eggs in the same basket seems to be the golden rule.
    i dont think he has any hope of getting his money back

personal responsibility.

and as an aside a couple of years ago i had to get an atlas out to find cape verde, yet people were throwing money at a place that had no direct flights to a lot of europe, yet it was the next big thing, i just lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

There is getting caught in the hubris by buying a Mini Cooper S and getting caught in the hubris and remortgaging your home and buying 4 apartments in the middle of desert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Four properties!

How is it not greed? It was an investment and went wrong. What next, compensation for people's losses on the stock market? He has to suck it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

In fairness, I think some of you are being a bit harsh. I am all on for personal responsibility (I hate people who blame others for their mistakes) but it's not like this guy has 4 properties which are in negative equity -- he has nothing.

I don't know if he was scammed, but he was definitely screwed over.

So while I agree it was a bit naive to give all his money to one company (Larionovo) and of course he was trying to make a quick buck (nothing wrong with that), I think it was reasonable of him to assume he would actually get something back at the end of it, even if that's just four apartments in negative equity, so he has a right to feel hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

How do you make €440,000 selling ice!
    You don't. You do that by remortgaging your house and putting the college fund in for good measure.

The long and the short of it is, he spent his money with a reasonable expectation of getting something back, at the very least some unprofitable apartments. From my reading of it he has got nothing so far, which is fraud at the minimum. No company is entitled to make promises, take money, and vanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    You don't. You do that by remortgaging your house and putting the college fund in for good measure.

The long and the short of it is, he spent his money with a reasonable expectation of getting something back, at the very least some unprofitable apartments. From my reading of it he has got nothing so far, which is fraud at the minimum. No company is entitled to make promises, take money, and vanish.

*cough* Bookmakers *cough*

'I'll have 400 grand on the favourite in the 1:30 please.'

'What it didn't win?'
    'I'll have money back so.'
    'Hello?!'

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

AARRRGH wrote: »
    In fairness, I think some of you are being a bit harsh. I am all on for personal responsibility (I hate people who blame others for their mistakes) but it's not like this guy has 4 properties which are in negative equity -- he has nothing.

I don't know if he was scammed, but he was definitely screwed over.

So while I agree it was a bit naive to give all his money to one company (Larionovo) and of course he was trying to make a quick buck (nothing wrong with that), I think it was reasonable of him to assume he would actually get something back at the end of it, even if that's just four apartments in negative equity, so he has a right to feel hard done by.

I agree here. He tried to invest his money. The people who took his money seem to have just taken his money. It is not as if it was a failed investment, it was money that was not actually invested. The comparison would be, put your money in the bank, the bank gets robbed, bank now says your money is all gone, people on boards say tough.

By the way to the people who complain about spending money he put aside for his kids education. We live in a country that is supposed to have free education. He shouldn't have to save money for his kids education

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mathie your analogy would be valid if instead of gambling on the 1:30 he had bought a horse which failed to win the 1:30. Fact is regardless of the gamble on the value of the property market, he still did buy apartments which have failed to materialise. Thats wrong.

Apart from that, not much sympathy from me.

mathie wrote: »
    *cough* Bookmakers *cough*

'I'll have 400 grand on the favourite in the 1:30 please.'

'What it didn't win?'
    'I'll have money back so.'
    'Hello?!'

More like "What the horse won enough to get most of my money back but you are now telling me you have no record of the bet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Is there such thing as Financial Darwin Awards? 'cause this guy should win one.

ZYX wrote: »
    We live in a country that is supposed to have free education. He shouldn't have to save money for his kids education

We have free tuition fees, but there still a lot more charges and expenses associated with a child being educated in Ireland.

Yes it is bad luck that the properties have failed to materialize and he is owed his properties or return of his money.

The damm big reason why I don't have pity for the guy is that he was stupid in that he invested it appears all with the one developer/agent in the one non stable location.
    Added to this he was stupid and greedy because he actaully didn't just invest some spare cash he had, or some spare money he had put aside for retirement or for the kids educaiton, he actually re-mortgaged his home to invest even more money.

It would have been hard luck if he had invested with different developers/agents in different locations (i.e. countries and regions) and they all failed to materialise.
    Then I would have pity for the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm more interested in the fact that he said that he invested his pension in the properties mentioned above. Knowing what I know about pensions it's not possible unless same is invested in property / other assets that's graspable under irish / uk law and he borrowed the balance at a specific LTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

and as an aside a couple of years ago i had to get an atlas out to find cape verde, yet people were throwing money at a place that had no direct flights to a lot of europe, yet it was the next big thing, i just lmao

Would that have been because of "the great" Eddie Hobbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the fact that he said that he invested his pension in the properties mentioned above. Knowing what I know about pensions it's not possible unless same is invested in property / other assets that's graspable under irish / uk law and he borrowed the balance at a specific LTV.

It's likely he didn't have a pension and was doing this "as his pension". I've heard this fallacy a number of times.

Of course I feel sorry for the guy at a personal level, but like everyone else I bet he wasn't shy talking about it when it was all a sure thing.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

dazberry wrote: »
    It's likely he didn't have a pension and was doing this "as his pension". I've heard this fallacy a number of times.

Of course I feel sorry for the guy at a personal level, but like everyone else I bet he wasn't shy talking about it when it was all a sure thing.

D.

Well therefore it must have been a cash investment. In that case it was a poor investment strategy.

omahaid wrote: »
    We have free tuition fees, but there still a lot more charges and expenses associated with a child being educated in Ireland.

Not quite true. We have free education up to 18. There are charges associated with adults being educated in Ireland. That is somewhat different. Some parents choose support their adult children many don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not quite true. We have free education up to 18. There are charges associated with adults being educated in Ireland. That is somewhat different. Some parents choose support their adult children many don't.

Your first go at 3rd level is free. Thats where free education is capped regardless of your age.

If you were investing that much money surely you would check it out and make sure its is all legit and have all the relevant fail safes in terms of knowing who you are dealing with and how the process works in the event like this

Its not exactly free education though http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/education-expenses-survey-results-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

kearnsr wrote: »
    Your first go at 3rd level is free. Thats where free education is capped regardless of your age.

There are all sorts of ongoing costs with 3rd level education for young adults. At cheapest you'll just have the reg fees + books + transport (if you live nearby), you could also have rent and food, or choose to go to a fee paying third level (possibly in another country).

Wasnt this thread about some idiot?

• Advertisement

just read this, hard to have any sympathy, the one thing about investments is never put your eggs in the same basket seems to be the golden rule.
    i dont think he has any hope of getting his money back

personal responsibility.

Seen as you mention Cape Verde I would like to point out how knowledgeable some of the people selling in that market really were.
    A few years back I used to frequent these overseas property shows.
    Yes I was in the market and decided to do some digging and research.
    Perish the thought I did research.

Anyway at one big show I came up to stand being manned by numerous fancily dressed snakeoil sales staff including one elderly gentleman supposedly with years investment and banking experience.

I had to point out to him his big sign for Cape Verdi was mispelled and the island nation isn't the same spelling as that of the Italian composer. :rolleyes:

Now if they couldn't get that much right, I thought what hope was there of
    them getting you the forecast 20% capital gains and 5% ROI per annum :rolleyes:

Similarly I came across some very unorthodox payment methods for overseas property that involved banks on totally different continents.
    If in doubt walk away is the best and safest motto.

Advertisement