Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamangoes to be replaced by ......Aldi?!

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/aldi-gets-green-light-for-east-wall-site-1939108.html
    German discount store Aldi is continuing to expand its presence in Dublin's northside grocery market. Bord Pleanala has given it the green light for a new store along with 2,863sqm of offices on a site at the junction of Church Road and East wall Road, Dublin 3.
    Meanwhile Aldi has also submitted an application for a new store on the grounds of the White Sands Hotel, Strand Road/Coast Road, Portmarnock, Co Dublin. Aldi's East Wall approval comes after more than four years of trying as Bord Pleanala had refused its previous plans in 2005 for a six-storey over basement development incorporating a discount food store and 43 apartments.
    That plan had been approved by Dublin City Council, although Bord Pleanala considered that Aldi's apartments had not been in keeping with the council's zoning of the site for employment purposes.
    Irish Independent

An institution for the past 20 years is to be knocked for the German supermarket giant? Did they buy the hotel?

Oh the memories!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Tbh, I'd much prefare an Aldi there rather then a nightclub...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

At this stage in my life...me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where's the gang gonna go now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Where's the gang gonna go now?
    Barcode? Velvet? Wright Venue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

I heard a couple of weeks ago that it definitely wasn't going ahead now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Will that ignorant little bouncer Brendan get a job in ALDI :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Sizzler wrote: »
    Will that ignorant little bouncer Brendan get a job in ALDI :confused::D

Funny you should mention him. I saw him in the airport about 2 weeks ago... still vibrant as ever.... not a grey hair in sight! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Will the stock in Aldi be fresher??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

SeaSide wrote: »
    Will the stock in Aldi be fresher??

LOL

Depends what you're shopping for...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Part of the planning requires the hotel to be still functioning. It hasn't been bought over. The council has made aldi look for another site in the area rather than site near the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Davy wrote: »
    Part of the planning requires the hotel to be still functioning. It hasn't been bought over. The council has made aldi look for another site in the area rather than site near the hotel.

Not quite in the area but why doesnt Aldi or Lidl buy out Tescos in Kilbarrack?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

flanzer wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/aldi-gets-green-light-for-east-wall-site-1939108.html

An institution for the past 20 years is to be knocked for the German supermarket giant? Did they buy the hotel?

Oh the memories!

The planning application was lodged on the grounds of the Sands Hotel, not on the Sands Hotel (If it goes ahead, it will be beside the hotel on the site of the bungalow.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

branners69 wrote: »
    Not quite in the area but why doesnt Aldi or Lidl buy out Tescos in Kilbarrack?

Most likely because Tesco would never sell it to them :D. Much more profit to be made by Aldi opening up in Portmarnock, it will draw business from the surrounding areas which have not much in the line of discount retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nozama

Word has it that the whole shebang (hotel, bar, nightclub) are to close in January as its gone bust....

Could the hotel be knocked to make room for Aldi??

RIP Tamangos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Id say enough people round here objected to the Aldi planning permission tbh, but sounds like Tomangos is closing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nozama

Well that's a shame, even though I claim to hate the place you do still manage to find yourself there the odd occasion.... Lot of memories in there!

No Tamangos or Aldi, total disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Good site but bad infrastructure around it, thousands of extra cars a day on a bend so tight you already have to slow to about 20km/h to get round it without ending up in the sea is just asking for trouble. The road would need to be upgraded ala robswall and yet another set of bloody traffic lights installed, no doubt.

I've looked at the plans and seen nothing at all to suggest Tomangoes will be closed or knocked to make room for Aldi. Won't miss it if it does, it's a kip. Town all the way.

sdonn wrote: »
    I've looked at the plans and seen nothing at all to suggest Tomangoes will be closed or knocked to make room for Aldi. Won't miss it if it does, it's a kip. Town all the way.

It will be beside the hotel, not on it. The possible closing of the night club is not related to aldi.

Backing up my post, here is the plans showing aldi and the hotel still in place beside it, including tomangoes. The smoke garden is gone though.

iqk4nc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sharper Carper

Hi all...........So would i be correct in saying that the hotel is not closing down..:rolleyes: As i have a wedding there this year and have not heard anything from the hotel regarding this......Any info would be great

• Advertisement

Hi all...........So would i be correct in saying that the hotel is not closing down..:rolleyes: As i have a wedding there this year and have not heard anything from the hotel regarding this......Any info would be great

Well tomangoes or the hotel premises are not being replaced by Aldi for certain.

The certainty of the hotel staying opening is another matter. They business is not doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

If aldi does open, will it be there first members only shop? And will brendan be on the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

hey there.

i see the hotel was closed the w.end just gone, but seems to be open now never many cars around there. Has anybody herd any more news??:mad:

aidannulty wrote: »
    hey there.

i see the hotel was closed the w.end just gone, but seems to be open now never many cars around there. Has anybody herd any more news??:mad:

Hotel to fully close next month i think. Tamangoes is totally unaffected though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Yeah the hotel is soon to be no more. My neighbour has worked there since it opened and said it closed at the weekend I think. Tough on the staff but she said business has been bad for ages. When is Aldi going in there does anyone know? Tamangoes is fine for now but I was there on Saturday night and it was the quietest I've ever seen it. Can't see that place lasting much longer either.

Planning decision hasn't been decided yet. It doesn't really matter though. Aldi doesnt effect the hotel or tamangoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sharper Carper

Makes no odds to me as i want down a few weeks ago.....Have got a full refund from them regarding my wedding the hotel was a bitings and like a ghost house not a light on........And it was not because they got in contact with me neither........:mad:.......W~nkers they would have just closed the doors and said feck all.....Scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aidannulty

i herd today that Aldi's first planning application has been refused. They have so much money id say they will keep reapplying with changes until they get what they want:mad:

aidannulty wrote: »
    i herd today that Aldi's first planning application has been refused. They have so much money id say they will keep reapplying with changes until they get what they want:mad:

No, weren't refused. They were asked for some details and information on the plans. Like i said earlier, no decision has been decided either way, by the planners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I remember the old days . Going for a few pints to the to Gibs in Malahide . Taxi back to Portmarnock into Tomangoes then down to the Shelters for a few tinnies

Advertisement