Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiefl to close by 2013

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭

Shocking news to be honest..
    250 people employed at Stiefel Laboratories in Sligo have been told that the company is planning to close.

Stiefel has been in Sligo since 1975 and was taken over in July by GlaxoSmithKline. It produces a range of prescription and over-the-counter products for the treatment of skin disorders such as psoriasis and acne.

A statement issued by the company says that it is proposing to cease operations by the end of 2013. It says the decision is part of a global review of the Stiefel operation following tis acquisition by GSK.

The work done in Sligo will be transferred to other company facilities where there is currently under-capacity.

Tánaiste Mary Coughlan expressed 'deep disappointment' at the news but noted the 'long run-down' until 2013. Ms Coughlan said the IDA was in talks with the parent company about potential opportunities to develop the site in Sligo.

GSK says it will now enter into consultation with the staff in Sligo, and by March next year it should be clearer as to how the operation will be wound down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I worked there in the summer of 99 I think.

They were outstanding to the employees.

Summer BBQ's, partys etc.

It will be a big loss to the county :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Used to work there and have 3 relations still working there now. Awful news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Slidey wrote: »
    I worked there in the summer of 99 I think.

They were outstanding to the employees.

Summer BBQ's, partys etc.

It will be a big loss to the county :(

aint the same as it was in '99 trust me, im one of the 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Sorry to hear that dude(ess?)

Myself and 2 other lads were the first fellas ever to work on the floor amongst all the ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Slidey wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that dude(ess?)

Myself and 2 other lads were the first fellas ever to work on the floor amongst all the ladies

its not all bad tbh, i get redundancy and ive already got a job offer lol, just need to do some training before i start it in the furture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

"Pharmaceuticals have become one of Ireland’s most successful and developed Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) business sectors since IDA Ireland attracted the first pharmaceutical multinational to the State in 1964."

http://www.entemp.ie/press/2008/20080303.htm

Is Stiefel's closure a sign that other pharmaceutical multinationals will also look to move production abroad?
    It would be disastrous for Sligo if this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

sorry for anyone affected directly but does anyone know of the rollout of the shutdown. I know 2013 was mentioned so will most be gone in the next few months and a few left by 2013 or the other way round? If so you'd have hoped they could have announced it differently but maybe its just wishful thinking.

Advertisement