Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Chungs

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:50am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone been to Jimmy Chungs on the Quays and what is it like? Would the food be the same standard that you get from a normal Chinese takeaway? or is it slop thrown into a trough?? What's the selection of food like and what sort of atmosphere does the place have?

I know it's €12.50 for an adult on Fridays which is quite reasonable but what are the hidden extras like? ie your beverage and any condements etc?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jimmy Chungs is actually a Scottish chain, and I loved it when I lived in Edinburgh. There's a huge selection of food, but it's not fantastic quality. It's perhaps take-out quality, not restaurant quality. Still, if you're like me and like a little bit of a lot of things, it's fantastic. All three courses are included in the price, but drinks are extra. I don't know what the atmosphere in the Dublin branch is like I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Awful spot. MSG laden crap. Worse than your average Chinese takeaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

i really enjoyed it when there. and for 12.50 its grand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

go for the desserts and pull your own ice cream from the machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I go there for a sneaky msg hit :) Love their massive selection of starters (ribs, wontons, spring rolls, satay skewers etc.) I tend to park myself near that for the evening and dig in. It's not slop in a trough but it's not amazing food either. If you happen to enjoy bad chinese food a lá most of what you get out of a takeaway you'll be in hog heaven. They have a massive selection of mains, (veggie, fish & meat), different rice and noodle options and (I think) chips. The serve yourself ice cream machine is smashing, and there's a rack of pineapple and banana fritters to go with it

You have to pay for drinks but all the sauces etc. are included in the price you pay for the buffet.

Atmosphere is grand, there can be a lot of stags and birthday parties there but it's big enough and well spread out enough that they don't get in your face :)

One thing I would probably steer clear of if I went again is their 'aromatic duck', looked at the sign for it and it said 'contains pork', dodgy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nahboisk

was in edinburgh recently and was warned if i went in not to eat the shrimp so i would stick to non sea food really. The story was not pretty haha

Chinese food is not Chinese food without MSG, imo. It's probably why I like Jimmy Chungs so much.

The quality in Edinburgh is also possibly better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Faith wrote: »
    Chinese food is not Chinese food without MSG, imo. It's probably why I like Jimmy Chungs so much.

The quality in Edinburgh is also possibly better.

Yeah I'd rather it had MSG in it tbh, if you're going to treat yourself to something dirty it might aswel be really dirty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

MSG isn't bad for you so I don't really know why every feels the need to bring it up.

MSG isn't bad for you so I don't really know why every feels the need to bring it up.

No, it's not afaik. It's just tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you are vegetarian dont bother

ended up paying E20 for a place of plain noodles and a slice of cake :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tell that to the countries that have banned it!

Advertisement