Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting MKV files to AVI/DVD

• 11-11-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm having problems converting .mkv files to either AVI or DVD. The program I'm using is ConvertXtoDVD. It converts fine and the output is in VOB files.
    The problem is when I playback the DVD on regular DVD player there is no sound. The DVD will play perfect on my PS3.
    When I try to play the DVD back on computer through Windows media or Nero it has no sound. The only player which plays with sound is VLC.
    I'm presume its a problem reading the codec in the file.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hi All

I'm having problems converting .mkv files to either AVI or DVD. The program I'm using is ConvertXtoDVD. It converts fine and the output is in VOB files.
    The problem is when I playback the DVD on regular DVD player there is no sound. The DVD will play perfect on my PS3.
    When I try to play the DVD back on computer through Windows media or Nero it has no sound. The only player which plays with sound is VLC.
    I'm presume its a problem reading the codec in the file.
    Any help will be much appreciated.

sounds like it's not demuxing the audio during the conversion process perhaps?

I've used ConvertX plenty of times myself to burn AVIs to DVD but I've never used it for MKVs.

A free tool called SUPER will be able to create the VOB files for you (just make sure it demuxes the audio), however you'll then need an additional tool to create the menu files necessary for the DVD players and i'm not to well up on that... sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thanks I will try that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I use Handbrake for format conversion. Works a treat.

Macros42 wrote: »

Thanks Macros42. Hope it solves my problem. Plus it seems to be a freeware as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's Open Source - completely free. Hope it does the job for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I use Xvid4psp for exactly the reason of converting mkv to avi, works 9 times out of 10. May have to play around with a couple of settings but it's free and pretty reliable.

Macros42 wrote: »

Hi Macros42

I tried to convert MKV file to AVI with HANDBRAKE. When the conversion was completed the sound was distorted and out of sync with the movie, making it unwatchable. Is there a setting I need to use in the audio conversion???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Forget about Handbrake. Ive seen that stuttery audio problem before, its not related to your settings and there's no fix. Its just to do with the age of the program, it can't seem to handle some seemingly normal AC3 audio streams.

And the latest SVN version (test/beta) seems to have fixed the problem, but has dropped support for AVI completely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I use Xvid4psp for exactly the reason of converting mkv to avi, works 9 times out of 10. May have to play around with a couple of settings but it's free and pretty reliable.

this is the one i've used also and found no problems with it. As far as i can remember, ConvertXtoDVD doesnt support MKV's.

There are also converters available solely for MKV to AVI but i've never tried them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Try using mkv2vob...
    http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1

easy to use...can output to a number of formats...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Had a similar need as the OP yesterday, found an open source program called "AllToAvi" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/alltoavi/) that did 23 out of 24 files for me flawlessly, but one file just won't convert properly, and I tried it on 2 different computers. End up with a file exactly 2 minutes long (should be about 45mins). It must be an issue with the file (but it plays perfectly) - a real head scratcher.

I'll try some of the other programs mentioned on it.

Advertisement