Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Work Techies... How many out there?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

We were wondering how many unemployed techies are out there at the moment, (qualified) - we are hearing of more and more layoffs and cutbacks in the techie-sector and this must give rise to the number of valuable and untapped resources and knowledge in the pool..

I know that some people may argue that the weakest links are the first to go and that this will water down the knowledge pool, but there are entire companies going to the wall with some very qualified techies who cannot find replacement jobs..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

New Zealand is desperately looking for techies, according to someone i know living there... auckland is supposed to be a hotspot, I'm not too sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Qualified techies?

Like that guy from the eircom ad?

RESET YUOR ROOTER

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We had a bunch of layoffs in my place. To the best of my knowledge nobody who got laid off is still out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Do programmers count? I've just gotten an MSc in Comp Sci so i haven't had much opportunity to look around yet, but so far I haven't had a single reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yo.
    LAME.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

My company has let 2 full time people go, and a lot of contractors. I'm plugging the gaps so safe...... for the moment.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I'd say IT is probably the best sector to be in at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    I'd say IT is probably the best sector to be in at the moment.

That's good to hear, hoping to get in to it in the new year.

Advertisement