Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend hillwalk within 1 hour of Galway city?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have some friends coming up.
    Are there any hill walks/mountain climbs that you’d recommend that are
    within 1 hour (roughly) drive of Galway City (ideally North or West or Galway; I'm living near Claregalway).
    • easy to find
    • won’t take ½ a day

At the moment I'm thinking of Croagh Patrick, but if there was somewhere closer it'd be great.
    Cheers,
    patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Croagh Patrick is probably closer to a 2 hour drive from Galway.

Letterfrack might be a wee bit closer, you'd have the Connemara National Park there and I believe there is a handy walk up Diamond Hill which offers decent views with a minimum of effort. I think part of the walk is done over railway sleepers.

http://www.irelandadventures.com/activity.php?id=537

Planning to go up Croagh Patrick myself next weekend and the onto Achill.. must be nice to have all that on your doorstep!

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have some friends coming up.
    Are there any hill walks/mountain climbs that you’d recommend that are
    within 1 hour (roughly) drive of Galway City (ideally North or West or Galway; I'm living near Claregalway).
    • easy to find
    • won’t take ½ a day

At the moment I'm thinking of Croagh Patrick, but if there was somewhere closer it'd be great.
    Cheers,
    patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Speedy2009

Eh you realise you have the whole of conemara on ur doorstep? why go to mayo? (nothing against the reek)
    There is a really nice walk near mam cross - bout 45mins from gway. drive thru mam cross, after abuot 5km you will see small turnon the right right signposted 'Maimen' - follow this bog road all the way heading straight for the mountains and veering left at the end where you will see an open space for parking cars.
    Walk is along a clear path aprx 40 mins up to a wee curch where ya can shelter from the weather and have ur sambos!
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers
    is it as easy to find and follow ( the walk) as it sounds? 40 mins up and 40 down ( same route or is it possible to come down another way?)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Speedy2009

sorry didnt see your reply until now!
    did you find it okay or did ya go some where else?

Advertisement