Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Things to do in North West Cork

Options
  • 11-11-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    just recently moved to Millstreet, looking to do some activities other than drinking. It would involve me and my girlfriend and be an interesting way to meet other people and especially my girlfriend who is from Bulgaria.
    She has good English and is very sporty but wants to meet other people and improve her English even more.
    We are doing some hillwalking at the moment but with the weather going bad, we want to do some indoor sports.
    Is there any information on Ladies Basketball in Kanturk, my girlfriend is a good player and would love to do something like that and would be a great way to mix with girls of her age. (25)
    What classes are around locally in Newmarket, Kanturk, Mallow areas during the weekdays?
    The more diverse, the better. Travelling to and from the areas is not an issue.

If you can list out any activities in or around the area, that would be great, maybe even make this a sticky as well. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halfback

you could look at the "what's on" page on millstreet.ie. or just look at notices on the post office door or on shop windows. farther afield, i don't know if i can help you much.
    but, everyone has a different view on what they would like to do themselves :I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

We live in Macroom and had the same problem when we moved there 3 and a half years ago...very little interesting things to do and very hard to meet new people.

Night classes are a good idea for meeting people with the same interests. McEgan College in Macroom run a good range of courses, though I'm thinking Mallow would have a much better choice.

There are some great night classes in Mallow, and some decent ones in Kanturk too (I taught there last year :) ). I think they start in Sept, and some start again in the new year. Watch the local papers.
    http://www.mallowcollege.ie/files/davis_college.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hill **** walking is a popular one. What in gods good earth made you move there btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Yeah been checking out classes and stuff.
    We decided to move there as I'm working in a nearby town. The distance I need to travel is short and I can be home in 20 minutes by car.
    Mallow had been my number one choice for a long time, but due to the extra distance and extra rental costs, I felt we'd get a better deal in accommadation in Millstreet. There's an early morning train to Cork from Millstreet for the girlfriend when she goes to Uni next year. Banteer station has no early train. The town is served by buses which is another plus. We have a very nice renovated cottage with plenty of space, the owner is really nice, the running costs low and a little bit of ground for potential in gardening or vegetables and lots of privacy. It's still within the town area.
    We have my income only and we based our budgeting on getting better value in our accommadation but we still live pretty good, pay the bills, paying off loans and most importantly saving. For the same place you are paying at least €50 extra per week for the place we have in Mallow but without the privacy. We sacrificed Mallow to be money cautious, just in case my job ever did go, but thankfully got my contract renewed for another year. The area is just devasted by unemployment :(
    I'll be catching up with some old friends who live locally who can direct me to some activities. I have a few ideas and I will post any new stuff I encounter. I hope you do too whoever happens upon this.
    Thanks to all.

• Advertisement

Sneakee wrote: »
    For the same place you are paying at least €50 extra per week for the place we have in Mallow but without the privacy.

I'd be the exact same as you sneakee, I'd live somewhere like you just described before living in any busy urban area.

Good luck with the veg growing, I'd def recommend it. Start your ground work for the plot before Christmas if you can so that you have it ready for planting next spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Yeah, I dropped the veg idea to my girlfriend and she seemed to like it.
    Just with the weather I think I want to make a start in the next weekend or two.
    That'll keep me and her busy at weekends. Have to watch out for rabbits, lots of them around the property and will be a major headache.

I'll talk to my mom and Dad for advice as they did vegetables before.

Time to get muddy :rolleyes:

I have no regrets over moving to Millstreet so far, and my girlfriend is happy as well.

Sneakee wrote: »
    Have to watch out for rabbits, lots of them around the property and will be a major headache.

Set a few traps and you'll have some nice meat to go with your veg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi Sneakie,
    we're in a similar situation, I'm 25, moved to the coutrnyside outside mallow into an old cottage. I'm commuting to UCC (in my final year now woo!)
    We're big on the veg growing have a massive field with the house with 4 long (but short tunnelss) in it and lots of pets!
    Some ideas: check out the farmers markets to meet some interesting people the nano nagle centre north of mallow is a good one they are every second saturday.
    The nano nagle centre also do yoga and mediation courses.
    Check out the fermoy and middleton carboot sales which are on regularly.
    Millstreet country park is a fantastic place to go for walks.
    I've started Tai chi classes in Mallow (every sunday morning and thursday evening)
    The secret garden (garden centre) between Kanturk and new market has is a lovely spot, they have a cool little cafe and organize all sorts of fun events (apple festival, pumkin growing competition etc..)
    There's art classes on in the college in mallow in the evenings.
    There's also an organic permaculture college somewhere in north cork that are supposed to be very open to visitors with lots of cool heads lfoating about.
    pm me your number if you like and next time we're having a party or BBQ (be warned we very well may not have another one for ages) I'll try remember to give you a shout. We'd some pretty mad ones over the last year including a huge BBQ last summer with people from boards.ie and meetup.com and a great DJ to boot!

Advertisement