Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning a tv

Options
  • 11-11-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭

bought a tv in summer and im going to be returning possibly this weekend because it has developed 2 faults

here is my question

should i be entitled to a replacement right away, its the same tv I want but of course not a faulty one.

or will they have to send it away for Repair ?

edit

bought the tv in DID

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The shop must offer one of repair, replacement or refund. If they offer a repair, it'll have to be sent away. You can refuse the repair, but you'd need a good reason why, and they don't have to offer anything else. It becomes a negotiation, and you both come to an agreement.

Insisting on an immediate replacement, without giving the shop a chance to verify the problem, probably won't get you anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jor el wrote: »
    The shop must offer one of repair, replacement or refund. If they offer a repair, it'll have to be sent away. You can refuse the repair, but you'd need a good reason why, and they don't have to offer anything else. It becomes a negotiation, and you both come to an agreement.

Insisting on an immediate replacement, without giving the shop a chance to verify the problem, probably won't get you anywhere.

thanks for the reply jor el

I was told on the phone awhile back that they will have to send it back for repair and they'll give me another tv in the mean time

I rather just get a replacement ya know, if they see a visible fault in the tv I should get a replacement no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Headshot wrote: »
    I rather just get a replacement ya know, if they see a visible fault in the tv I should get a replacement no ?

Nope, it's up to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Also because of the time scale involved since it was bought it'd be very unlikely you'd get the replacement first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

RangeR wrote: »
    Nope, it's up to the shop.
    OP, if you have a good reason why you need a replacement over a repair then you can discuss that with the shop and try and come to an arrangement. If they insist on a repair then you must bring them to the small claims court. You will need a good reason why a repair will not give you the working product you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

axer wrote: »
    OP, if you have a good reason why you need a replacement over a repair then you can discuss that with the shop and try and come to an arrangement. If they insist on a repair then you must bring them to the small claims court. You will need a good reason why a repair will not give you the working product you wanted.

I dont have a real good reason tbf

I just dont want to be waiting nearly a month for the tv to come back from repair and it takes a 2hr drive to get to the DID store near me

any ideas for a good excuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Headshot wrote: »
    I dont have a real good reason tbf

I just dont want to be waiting nearly a month for the tv to come back from repair and it takes a 2hr drive to get to the DID store near me

any ideas for a good excuse ?
    They said they would give you a replacement in the meantime. TBH I think they are being reasonable here.

Advertisement