Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish franchise for Premier League?" [Mod Note: See Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

78 or so pack on to a coach and get on a ferry. This happens numerous times over.

Many travel over on the Friday evening or night and many stay until the Sunday.

Also support of Premiership clubs is not just confined to Manchester and Liverpool, over 10 flights into London saturday mornings alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I support franchises because there are too many clubs currently in the LoI to be any way succesful. I don't see the point of LoI clubs gambling on non existant revenues to maybe be lower Championship football standard. That is a waste of time imo and revenue. Either scrap the current BS semi pro wasting of money and plough any gates ect into the youth system or make a good go of it. 5/6 teams would be ideal and could make their own League or join with Scotland.

Would an Irish team work in the PL? Yes I think 40,000-50,000 averages are more than attainable at Lansdowne. Are people mad? Dublin would be number 1 destination for travelling supporters from the other island and would bring with it Temple Bar tourism (probably not what anyone wants on a Saturday night but as a country we are always desperate for more of them).

Dublin GAA fans would pack Croke Park out 6 times a year (if they make it that far, not recently though;)) in the Championship pretty much irregardless of opposition.

You put decent quality players up every week and you'll see the numbers. People say Irish people are 'event junkies', basing this on the fact that they don't go to LoI games. That's hardly a fair judgement. Why not try it? Its not like the current League is a success, from one week to the next a club is in financial trouble or being relegated for the aforementioned. I genuinely don't see a football Prem League Franchise failing, won't happen because of FIFA irregardless though for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I think a fan base could be created over time, with the right marketing and management.

If the right marketing and management was pumped into the LOI it'd improve drastically I'd imagine.

Some of the posts in this thread genuinely make me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Of course it won't fail. It'll be pounced upon by the bandwagoners and fairweathers. The problem is that it would be final nail in the coffin of our own league.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course it won't fail. It'll be pounced upon by the bandwagoners and fairweathers. The problem is that it would be final nail in the coffin of our own league.

Which is going where exactly? In the last few years Cork, Shamrock Rovers, Bohs, Drogheda, Shels and Derry; big clubs have being in serious financial difficulties and/or relegated due to this (or illegal payments or some such for Derry). How is this league viable when it couldn't pull crowds when some of those clubs were 'riding high'. I remember when Cork almost failed that some said that it would be better if they did to get rid of your man and start your own club again on a clean slate. Whats the difference between that and supporting a new franchise concpet if clubs keep failing (and not being bailed out by the FAI)? Is the concept just above football because of the 'club' nature (most top end teams though in Europe are run, look and feel like an American style franchise anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

If more people actually got up off their ****ing arses and supported their current concept instead of whinging then it wouldn't fail would it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

themont85 wrote: »
    Which is going where exactly?
    Where do you want it to go, El Dorado?

Pats had a very impressive European run and Bohs were minute away from knocking out a team currently top of a europa league group containing Villareal, Lazio and Levski Sofia.

And regardless of that, even if the quality of the league gets worse, it still means a hell of a lot to the fans. Pumping money into a franchise would be 2 fingers up to all of the people who keep football going in this country.

I find your attitude of "Oh, well the league is ****, it doesn't really matter" to be very offensive.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Where do you want it to go, El Dorado?

Pats had a very impressive European run and Bohs were minute away from knocking out a team currently top of a europa league group containing Villareal, Lazio and Levski Sofia.

And regardless of that, even if the quality of the league gets worse, it still means a hell of a lot to the fans. Pumping money into a franchise would be 2 fingers up to all of the people who keep football going in this country.

I find your attitude of "Oh, well the league is ****, it doesn't really matter" to be very offensive.

I don't want to descend into an argument about only the merits of the LoI.

However, the LoI in its current form is going nowhere. It will never go anywhere. And by somewhere I mean sustainable full time professional football on a par with Scotland for instance. Too many clubs, bad geography, badly organised and a reputation tarnished irrevocably.

Keep the LoI as an ameteur league. The AIL in rugby has survived with a pro league taking over with there still being club supporters who take pride in their club gaining promotion/making cup finals. You can still have your games on a Friday Nights or whatever and chant on the terrace. Whats the difference between that and what we have now where plenty go abroad. Only difference I see is that we are no longer wasting money paying people when they aren't at a standard which makes it viable.

The people in the main 'pumping money into' an irish franchise would be the people buying tickets and jersey who already giving two fingers to the league by treating it as an irrelevance which sometimes makes news for another decent Euro run followed by inevitable financial gloom stories. And that is the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If they got relegated they'd be f'd alright, but then I think the Bolton chairman said there'd be no relegation in his vision of footballs future so play on boys!

What a terrible idea. That would just breed mediocrity. Interesting that it comes from a chairman who's club is 1 point above the relegation spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I don't want to descend into an argument about only the merits of the LoI.

However, the LoI in its current form is going nowhere. It will never go anywhere. And by somewhere I mean sustainable full time professional football on a par with Scotland for instance. Too many clubs, bad geography, badly organised and a reputation tarnished irrevocably.

Keep the LoI as an ameteur league. The AIL in rugby has survived with a pro league taking over with there still being club supporters who take pride in their club gaining promotion/making cup finals. You can still have your games on a Friday Nights or whatever and chant on the terrace. Whats the difference between that and what we have now where plenty go abroad. Only difference I see is that we are no longer wasting money paying people when they aren't at a standard which makes it viable.

The people in the main 'pumping money into' an irish franchise would be the people buying tickets and jersey who already giving two fingers to the league by treating it as an irrelevance which sometimes makes news for another decent Euro run followed by inevitable financial gloom stories. And that is the vast majority of people.

in fairness dont think the scottish league is a league we would want to replicate in this country if anything scottish football is at its lowest ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I'd love to see this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This is where you fail. Sport is not about entertainment, not even remotely.

Sport is about participation and belonging. Think of the common words that are contained in every teams name the world over. "Club"

Think of the word club for a second.
    Think of it.

Here is the formal definition of the word club.

Now, is sport about entertainment?

I support my club because of the participation, the belonging and the "association with people with similar interests". And if you expect to be entertained rather than belong, you are a consumer and not a supporter, and this is where Irish people as a generality fail.

Yo, maybe sport can mean different things to different people? Maybe you can't claim a monopoly on what sport is 'really' about? Something to think about. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I always thought this would be a good idea .

Wasn't it thought of with Wimbledon back in the 90's ? when they moved to Milton Keynes , there was an idea floated then that Dublin could work.

Might actually make the new stadium in D4 work/ make money .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

JPA wrote: »
    That guy is cuckoo.
    I don't think he is. I'd say it's something that will happen before to long especially when the big four break away and form a european super league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

So you are in a tiny minority.

Really? 6,000 people go to see Rovers in Tallaght. The same night there would be a few thousand on Leeside, Terryland, Tolka, Oriel, The Brandywell and about 100 in the Morton :)

I wouldn't say thats a tiny minority if you stacked that up against the figures that go across the water that same weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

iregk wrote: »
    Really? 6,000 people go to see Rovers in Tallaght. The same night there would be a few thousand on Leeside, Terryland, Tolka, Oriel, The Brandywell and about 100 in the Morton :)

I wouldn't say thats a tiny minority if you stacked that up against the figures that go across the water that same weekend!
    I'm not asking you to stack it up against the number that travel over at the weekend though. I am asking you to stack it up against the majority of the Irish public who watch football. I am certain the vast majority would prefer to head into Dublin to watch United, Liverpool or Chelsea live (I would say the same for most prem teams to be honest) than Cork or Bray.

Most of those people that you speak off are the type that buy the jersey, couldn't name 5 players and have never been to the city where their team play. They have no idea how to be a football fan or what its like. To be brutally honest, they probably wouldn't even go if it was in Dublin "too much hassle".

As has been said. Dynamo Dublin CarpetWise B&Q FC sell out against the top 4. Get mediocre crowds against Spurs, Villa etc... and non existent ones against Hull, Burnley, Portsmouth etc... Would that be enough to sustain a budget for survival? No. Cut to season #2 and the big 4 are not in town is this team going to get the same crowds in for the glamor ties again Swansea, Barnsley and Scunthorpe? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not asking you to stack it up against the number that travel over at the weekend though. I am asking you to stack it up against the majority of the Irish public who watch football. I am certain the vast majority would prefer to head into Dublin to watch United, Liverpool or Chelsea live (I would say the same for most prem teams to be honest) than Cork or Bray.

Well then you have to decide if you're talking about football supporters or people who like to watch a game on television because there's a world of a difference and outside of one or two glamour games games a season, you're not going to change these people. Irish people don't want to support teams week-in, week-out, they want to go to the big games so they can say 'I was there'. Can't see why some pie in the sky made up team would change that.

Where will the supporters come from? Not many Cork, Kerry, Belfast, Derry or Galway people are going to get behind some Dublin United team. Indeed for most of them, travelling to England to see a Premier League team will continue to be the quickest and most popluar option for them. There's already a group of, at an estimate, 10,000 to 15,000 Dubliners who attend, at least semi-regularly, League of Ireland games and support a League of Ireland team. They're not going to want to know. And the supporters of Premier League teams certainly aren't going to switch their alliegences.

Which is going where exactly? In the last few years Cork, Shamrock Rovers, Bohs, Drogheda, Shels and Derry; big clubs have being in serious financial difficulties and/or relegated due to this (or illegal payments or some such for Derry). How is this league viable when it couldn't pull crowds when some of those clubs were 'riding high'.

The league while going through some serious pain at the moment is going in the right direction. The problem with the league was clubs chasing the european dream and putting themselves in serious financial difficulty. The clubs mentioned above as prime examples.

Rovers are now back in business and have a sound financial model and fan base to build off. Bohs are knee deep in it and about to get a whole lot deeper. Drogs are starting to find the right path again as are Shels and Cork can turn things around and I believe they will as they have the fans to do it.

What happened and is happening with the league was needed. Too many clubs mortgaging their future on a high risk strategy. In most cases one that didn't pay off. The league restructured and put in place the wage cap. Now yes some clubs have cheated their way around this (bohs, derry) but next season the cap drops to 55% of turnover and includes all staff and not just players. Due to this we are seeing some serious short term pain but its essentially that this happens. Clubs need to work within a viable financial structure or they will go to ruin. In a couple of years things will be better.

Look at whats happening in England though. Has this same argument not been brought up before? Wage cap's anyone? Clubs running at a loss? United 500m in the red, Chelsea 300m in the red, Liverpool 400m in the red (approx figures), Wigan, Hull, Pompy, Spurs all knee deep in the red end of a balance sheet with falling attendances. The Prem is not immune to the problems that the LOI is facing. The difference being the FAI as weak as they are will relegate Rovers, Shels and Derry. The FA doesn't have the balls to relegate those clubs in debt as it would destroy the Prem and they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think the way forward for the LOI clubs is a mixed league with Welsh,Northern Irish & Scottish teams.All these leagues are in bad shape and need something new and innovative to get them going.The PL does not need this a Irish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't agree it would be an automatic failure. I think the Leinster example is relevant - 15 years ago "Leinster Rugby" didn't exist in its current form, relatively small crowds went to watch club rugby but large numbers of people still showed up for international games - pretty much the same situation you have today with domestic soccer.

Leinster have built a following and a brand and have become very successful. The main difference with soccer is that you already have a lot of supporters following English teams and a general antagonism between fans of the local scene and the big match\barstool brigade.

Smaller domestic leagues are dying financially (look at whats happening in the LOI and SPL this year), I think some form of consolidation is needed. Its probably more likely to be amalgamation of smaller leagues though, rather than the likes of the EPL taking on extra members. UEFA will eventually have to allow some loosening of national boundaries or else in a few years the big 5 leagues will be only ones still viable.

I disagree with your first point above - there is a major difference between what is being proposed here and what happened with the Provinces in Rugby back in 1995. The game of Rugby changed completely from amateur to professional and the IRFU looked at where the money was and decided that competing on an a European stage would be the best option rather than trying to build up a professional domestic league.

The domestic league in Ireland has suffered massively as a result. Clubs are kept going by hard working volunteers and attendances are way down. Only now are they starting to see the benefits of the provincial system with the successes of Leinster and Munster helping grow Rugby in Ireland over the few years - with more youngsters starting to take up the game and returning to the clubs.

So-pointing to the provinces in Rugby and saying that it might work isnt true. Soccer has been professional for an awful long time. People have been watching the Premier League on Sky since 1992 and attending LOI game for their whole lives. People being asked to give that up and support a new professional team is a big ask IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Walsh wrote: »
    Thousands of people go over every week? What planes are these people getting, theres usually two flights in and two flights out on the day of the match within the time it takes to get to the ground and all that business, i think most people like the warmth of the couch or the pub to watch it.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/irish-love-affair-with-the-premier-league-14547161.html

This article reckons it's about 12,000 a week between here and the North. I'd say that's not too far off the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Leejo wrote: »
    You don't follow a team but you follow a league? The mind boggles. Do you follow any other countries football leagues? Genuine question because all your posts on here seem to be very much against your own domestic league.

I am interested and entertained by the EPL, a bit of La Liga, Heineken/Magners rugby, a little bit of (US) NFL, the odd title fight, a bit of Olympic athletics, GAA etc etc...

I dont know why your mind boggles at the fact that I have an interest in and 'follow' (in thje sense that I watch it) many sports. My mind boggles when people from Carlow are die-hard Villa fans....

It is not that I am against our domestic league. It is just that it is not working. And its not as if its a new product trying to find its feet. Ive gone to the (very odd) game over the years, particularly in Tolka - I didnt like it; the quality was poor.

If there was any evidence, though, that the LoI was oin the brink of flourishing, and that bringing in Dublin FC to the PL would stop that, I would agree with you. But that is not going to happen. Given that a EPL is probably on the horizon over the next couple of decades, I think we should get in now rather than miss that boat later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Aside from the fact that it would effectively kill off football in this country, how would they even manage it??

Just one year suddenly decide to place this franchise in the top division. Yeah I can't see any English clubs complaining about that.:rolleyes:

It wouldn't work anyway. Irish people are too lazy to get off their arses now so I don't see why this would make it any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Iago wrote: »
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/irish-love-affair-with-the-premier-league-14547161.html

This article reckons it's about 12,000 a week between here and the North. I'd say that's not too far off the truth.

Shamrock Rovers would get half that on their own ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

This whole idea is stupid and is driven by nothing more than money. The club chairmen just want to get control of as much TV money as they can. What happens if a Scottish or Irish team get relegated, are the Football league supposed to accept them, or will they go back to their own league, who probablywon't be all that pleased to see them.

if it goes ahead, i can't wait to see the scumbags from Celtic who decided to sing rebel songs during the two minutes silence on Sunday trying that stunt at Stamford Bridge.

Stupid stupid stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think this is a ridiculous idea. Assuming such a team came into existence it would more than likely be located in Dublin. Being in Cork that team would be too far away for me to support regularly. The same could be said for people in Galway,Limerick or anywhere outside of Leinster really.

I'd have to travel up to Dublin for home games and over to England for away games. Which isn't viable.

But regardless of that i'd hate this team anyway.

I don't think we should abandon the LOI just yet as Shamrock rovers success this year has shown there is hope for clubs in Ireland. The main factor in LOI clubs failing the last few seasons has been useless chairmen. We get rid of these gombeens and give the club to the fans and things might improve.

Also i don't like EPL fans saying we should get rid of the LOI because they believe it's not up to there standards. It's insulting. I'm sure they'd be up in arms if a La Liga supporter told them the EPL should be scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think the way forward for the LOI clubs is a mixed league with Welsh,Northern Irish & Scottish teams.

Are you going to pay for my travel every second week?

No?

Thought not.

No offence Dub, but that is one of the most ridiculous and ill-thought-out points I've ever seen from you.

You are talking about screwing over actual people who do go to every game their club plays. Something that no EPL fan posting on here can claim to do.

In fact, I'd wager that the cost of flying to Britain on a regular basis, to not only one city, but various places, is the main reason for that. It would be cost-prohibitive for any person living in Ireland to make a weekly trip to the mainland to follow their team. How many Liverpool away games have you ever been to, for instance? Is the majority of your spending not to home games? Could you afford an away game twice a month? Could anyone?

The A-League in Australia is one personal example I'll give here. That country is huge, and as a result, there is very, very little away support at matches. I know, I've been to quarter full stadiums with a decent home crowd behind the goal, but no-one else in the stadiums.

No thanks.
    All these leagues are in bad shape and need something new and innovative to get them going.
    Yes they are.

but a merged competition is not the answer.

Look at the setanta cup, started off decent, but now no-one is interested.
    The PL does not need this a Irish club.

I agree.

Was English football not on its last legs before Sky pumped in millions? Genuine question... I ain't too sure.

I'm fully certain that if someone was to pump money into our league, modernise ALL stadia, enforce strict budgetry control and financial management (make teams develop youth systems and introduce a Academy at each club) and launch a professional marketing and advertising campaign, then the LOI would prosper.

I'd much rather doing that ^ than letting some poxy Franchise team in Dublin play in the EPL. Seriously, if you need there to be a Dublin based team just to go and watch foodball here, your not a football fan.

And btw, for anyone who thinks Scottish league is great, take out Celtc and Rangers, and see what your left with. Its about the same level as LOI, with slightly higher attendances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    Are you going to pay for my travel every second week?

No?

Thought not.

No offence Dub, but that is one of the most ridiculous and ill-thought-out points I've ever seen from you.

You are talking about screwing over actual people who do go to every game their club plays. Something that no EPL fan posting on here can claim to do.

In fact, I'd wager that the cost of flying to Britain on a regular basis, to not only one city, but various places, is the main reason for that. It would be cost-prohibitive for any person living in Ireland to make a weekly trip to the mainland to follow their team. How many Liverpool away games have you ever been to, for instance? Is the majority of your spending not to home games? Could you afford an away game twice a month? Could anyone?

The A-League in Australia is one personal example I'll give here. That country is huge, and as a result, there is very, very little away support at matches. I know, I've been to quarter full stadiums with a decent home crowd behind the goal, but no-one else in the stadiums.

No thanks.

Yes they are.

but a merged competition is not the answer.

Look at the setanta cup, started off decent, but now no-one is interested.

I agree.

Des as you know I am no expert on Irish football so my posts on this should right of the bat be seen in this context,I am by no means in touch with the workings of the Irish leauge.

Most people who go to games know that the away fans matter little (expect when its the likes of Bohs,Celtic,Rangers keeping other clubs ticking over with there traveling fans).So your main body of argument is the fact that away fans will be screwed over would not stop this in the unlikely event that this idea was going to come to fruition,if the home nations (excluding england of course,as they don't need this) taught this idea was a runner and the TV company's agreed it would go ahead a small detail about a few hundred traveling fans would not stop it.

I agree Des I have not taught this one out much as it does not effice me,but as I said football on these two Island's with one notable exception is on life support and need new innovative ideas to turn the corner.Whats the population of Ireland north & south,Scotland and Wales I would think its around the 10 million mark,is that enough to sustain 2 professional league's and two semi pro league's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Was English football not on its last legs before Sky pumped in millions? Genuine question... I ain't too sure.

I'm fully certain that if someone was to pump money into our league, modernise ALL stadia, enforce strict budgetry control and financial management (make teams develop youth systems and introduce a Academy at each club) and launch a professional marketing and advertising campaign, then the LOI would prosper.

I'd much rather doing that ^ than letting some poxy Franchise team in Dublin play in the EPL. Seriously, if you need there to be a Dublin based team just to go and watch foodball here, your not a football fan.

And btw, for anyone who thinks Scottish league is great, take out Celtc and Rangers, and see what your left with. Its about the same level as LOI, with slightly higher attendances.

It's chicken and egg though. There has always been international interest in English football and English teams did have a fair amount of success before Sky came along, it's just that anything pre premier League days seems to be ignored (I'll stop now other wise the Liverpool fans will start going on about their european glory years:D)

Buying the TV rights was a relatively safe bet, whereas Irish football just does not have the same appeal on a Global basis. OK, pump in billions, build loads of shiney Ikea style stadia and buy all the top players would give it international appeal, just as it would if the same thing happened in Dubai, Japan or the US.

I don't see what the difference is between that and an Irish team joining the EPL though, all the teams would still be franchises playing in 40,000 capacity stadiums watched by 10,000 people. it would be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Aside from being a stupid bloody idea, I believe that the key obstacle in this is that it would have to attract fans to it.

I would never, and I do mean never, abandon Chelsea for any other team, even if they set up shop just down the road from me. I go over to London as often as is physically (and financially!) possible, but I also take in the odd away game too (Sunderland, Liverpool, Villa). The main reason I cannot go to EVERY Chelsea game is purely the cost of it. If it was cheaper... I'd be gone to every game! I prefer games in London simply for the reason that transport there is childishly simple and handy, but away games have the added bonus of being the more hardcore fans...

This proposal for an Irish PL team would run into this, and I believe that this would be its biggest problem; where are the 20,000 fans to fill the ground every home game going to come from? Most fans like myself would never even dream of abandoning the club we've supported for years to support another club.

The team would also need some serious financial backing in order to buy players to compete at such a top level. And even then, simply by throwing money around is no guarantee that players would WANT to go to the club (Kaka and Man City anyone?).

The only way I could see this being done at all is doing the NFL thing on it; taking an existing team from England and re-locating them to Ireland. And even then, it would cause utter uproar from the English fans, would necessitate building a new stadium and training ground/facilities and obviously could not be one of the bigger English clubs, so the fanbase in Ireland anyway would be fairly small.

I do not believe that this idea would work, in any way. It would be financially ruinous on whomever the backer was, would create frothing rage amongst the fans left behind in England and would in all likelihood go down quicker than a lead balloon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Premier League Vote No to Old firm Entry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1112/premierleague1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yay

DazMarz wrote: »
    This proposal for an Irish PL team would run into this, and I believe that this would be its biggest problem; where are the 20,000 fans to fill the ground every home game going to come from?

Where did Chelsea's (or any pther club's) fans come from when they were originally set up? It may take time; but it will happen.

Anyone who thinks that a Premier League team playing in Dublin 'wouldn't work' is deluded. It's not rocket science. Sport is business, ultimately. Supply a good product with easy access and it will be succesful.

The interest in top-tier football here is massive. Affiliation with a team by Irish youth is mainly by chance. A Dublin PL club would pick up a substantial number of today's 5-12 year olds and the novelty of the PL would fill the stadium until these guys develop into hardcore supporters.

It's chicken and egg though. There has always been international interest in English football and English teams did have a fair amount of success before Sky came along, it's just that anything pre premier League days seems to be ignored (I'll stop now other wise the Liverpool fans will start going on about their european glory years:D)

Buying the TV rights was a relatively safe bet, whereas Irish football just does not have the same appeal on a Global basis. OK, pump in billions, build loads of shiney Ikea style stadia and buy all the top players would give it international appeal, just as it would if the same thing happened in Dubai, Japan or the US.

I don't see what the difference is between that and an Irish team joining the EPL though, all the teams would still be franchises playing in 40,000 capacity stadiums watched by 10,000 people. it would be awful.

Oh, I don't mean build huge 40,000 all seater stadia. But something like Turner's X, Tallaght Stadium and even AFC Bournemouth have a 9,000 all seater. There's plenty of small modern all seater stadiums about the place.

I think a modern, all seater stadium* with high spec facilities would attract fans.

Atmosphere's important too, which, you wouldn't have at an Irish franchise EPL club.

*well, maybe a terrace at one end :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

For starters, I'm sure Phil Gartside would be amazed as anyone that anything he said has generated such a debate.
    My own opinion is that it would not work. All sport is inherently parochial. Parachuting in a team would not attract anything other than the aformentioned event junkies, who would shortly move on to the 'next big thing'. The comparison with rugby neglects to point out that they are centrally funded (something the FAI would not be able to do) and based on the provinces, thats where the core support come from, they've always been there with their clubs and now they are following the province.
    Where are the fans supposed to come from? The LoI debate is irrelevant, as their fans either don't support anyone in the EPL or already have an attachment with an existing team in the EPL. If someone already follows a team, are they expected to switch due to geography? If that was the case why follow a foreign team at all?

And finally, on the entertainment argument. Does that give us the right to stop supporting Ireland and start following Brazil?

great decision imo. The old firm has to much political baggage around them for english football, the english game doesnt need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

major bill wrote: »
    great decision imo. The old firm has to much political baggage around them for english football, the english game doesnt need it.

Maybe a lot of that political baggage is because they only really have to play against each other? Just a thought.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Maybe a lot of that political baggage is because they only really have to play against each other? Just a thought.

The same bigoted screams from the terrace are there when they play the english sides also!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I've plenty of friends who support Premiership teams, but I honestly cannot imagine meeting someone who would support an idea like this, and liking them. This isn't a barstooler rant, I'm sure EPL fans have a strong love for that club, and would never dream of changing, but I cannot understand anyone suddenly deciding to support this, or even want this to exist.

It is a horrible idea, it gos against everything football support has always been about, and it is pure fake. This isn't even the sort of thing that should be up for rational debate, its pretty much a closed issue, people who are opposed to this are correct, and people who support it are wrong. Cue someone telling me how its all about opinion, that person is not a football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

apoch632 wrote: »
    Was reading through the annual Celtic and Rangers to the Premiership stories

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8353937.stm

Noticed this in there.

"The Bolton chairman is also believed to be open to inviting an Irish franchise into the league in the future. "
    It doesn't say that anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It doesn't say that anywhere?

He meant Celtic duh!

DSB wrote: »
    I've plenty of friends who support Premiership teams, but I honestly cannot imagine meeting someone who would support an idea like this, and liking them. This isn't a barstooler rant, I'm sure EPL fans have a strong love for that club, and would never dream of changing, but I cannot understand anyone suddenly deciding to support this, or even want this to exist.

It is a horrible idea, it gos against everything football support has always been about, and it is pure fake. This isn't even the sort of thing that should be up for rational debate, its pretty much a closed issue, people who are opposed to this are correct, and people who support it are wrong. Cue someone telling me how its all about opinion, that person is not a football fan.

It wouldnt necessarily require people to switch allegiances to Dublin FC from Villa or Bolton etc.. There is no reason why kids, when they are 7-12 or so and are 'choosing'a team, wouldnt support Dublin FC. In the interim the novelty value of a Dublin team and the many people, like myself, (who feel no affiliation to Portsmouth or Hull), will be interested in attending these games with their kids, and that support should keep Dublin FC in good support until the grassroot support develops.

Even the best supported teams have to begin somewhere. And I would prefer my kids supporting Dublin FC than Wolverhampton Wanderers. That, to me, is pure fake.

drkpower wrote: »
    It wouldnt necessarily require people to switch allegiances to Dublin FC from Villa or Bolton etc.. There is no reason why kids, when they are 7-12 or so and are 'choosing'a team, wouldnt support Dublin FC. In the interim the novelty value of a Dublin team and the many people, like myself, (who feel no affiliation to Portsmouth or Hull), will be interested in attending these games with their kids, and that support should keep Dublin FC in good support until the grassroot support develops.

Even the best supported teams have to begin somewhere. And I would prefer my kids supporting Dublin FC than Wolverhampton Wanderers. That, to me, is pure fake.

If you want your kids to support an Irish team, that option is there. If you want your kids to support a Premiership team, that option is there too. But those options should not be mixed. It gos against everything football stands for.

If you want your kids to support an Irish team, that option is there. If you want your kids to support a Premiership team, that option is there too. But those options should not be mixed. It gos against everything football stands for.

What?
    No, it doesnt!

If my kids want to support Shels, good for 'em but kids, like everyone else, want to support the best quality football. In our sphere of influence, thats the PL. And Id prefer them supporting a Dublin team in the PL than supporting Wolves.

If they can support Leinster in the Magners and Heineken, why cant they support Dublin FC in the (British & Irish) PL?

You will have to do better than 'it goes against everything football stands for'....:D

drkpower wrote: »
    What?
    No, it doesnt!

If my kids want to support Shels, good for 'em but kids, like everyone else, want to support the best quality football. In our sphere of influence, thats the PL. And Id prefer them supporting a Dublin team in the PL than supporting Wolves.

If they can support Leinster in the Magners and Heineken, why cant they support Dublin FC in the (British & Irish) PL?

You will have to do better than 'it goes against everything football stands for'....:D

Football and rugby are such different things, while you have every Tom, Dick and Harry on here claiming otherwise, rugby teams just aren't as passionately supported as football teams. Just because rugby has diluted itself to make a few bucks, does not mean that football should soil nearly years and years of beautiful history, to franchise out and please individuals who really wouldn't know what it was like to actually support a football team like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I said it before, but imo it's only a matter of time until the biggest teams in Europe form a Superleague, with a number of divisions. So, if that does indeed happen, then it's not inconceivable that we will have a team from Dublin represented.

Football and rugby are such different things, while you have every Tom, Dick and Harry on here claiming otherwise, rugby teams just aren't as passionately supported as football teams. Just because rugby has diluted itself to make a few bucks, does not mean that football should soil nearly years and years of beautiful history, to franchise out and please individuals who really wouldn't know what it was like to actually support a football team like yourself.

Give me a break!:D

"rugby teams just aren't as passionately supported as football teams"; What are you talking about...?!! Do you have a table of 'most paasionately supported sports'? And what relevance is it to this debate?

Try and actually address the issue rather than making generic points about the extraordinary pasion you supposedly have for football. And try not to be clouded by your obvious emotion on this issue, you will come to a more sober conclusion....;)

And forgive me if I dont take lectures in 'support' from those who 'follow' teams from various areas in the UK merely by virtue of who was poplular in 1985 or who their big brother supported....! I'll take the passion of a Leinster or Munster supporter over that any day.

• Advertisement

I said it before, but imo it's only a matter of time until the biggest teams in Europe form a Superleague, with a number of divisions. So, if that does indeed happen, then it's not inconceivable that we will have a team from Dublin represented.

No doubt that will happen with time. If Dublin FC and/or Cork FC are already in an expanded UK & Irl PL, we will be in a far better position to be involved.

Advertisement