Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish franchise for Premier League?" [Mod Note: See Post #1]

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    There will be no grassroots support. The grassroot support in Dublin is already there. It's tiny and they all attend games either at junior or senior level.

The support for Premier League football in Dublin is massive. Kids support various PL teams mainly for no reason, but within a decade, they are diehaard supporters. No reason the same cant happen for a Dublin-based PL team. The novelty factor of a Dublin PL team (as well as "away" team supporters) will maintain their attendances for a number of years. The commercial opportunities will be massive.

You also saw with the Sunderland/Keane thing and the massive increase in interest that people here want to be involved in the Premier League - if a few 000 (who were not S'Land fans) will travel to Sunderland just because Keane is in charge, they'll go down the road to watch Dublin FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

drkpower wrote: »

Of course it isnt 100% about quality of the product; I never said it was. But quality of the product is a significant factor.

Go and ask any football fan in the World minus the teams in the top 2 in England and ask why they support they're local team, I can tell you one answer will be present throughtout and that's about an identity.
    1-1.5 million population should be enough of a population base to ensure its viability, even with those who currently support LoI/Premiership. The plan wouldnt be without its difficulties, but the potential is there for sure.

Cork probably doesnt have the numbers to support its own team but if they did, Id support it.

You'd think with that many peole alright, but sure add all the attendences of LoI matches in Dublin each week and you'd do well to hit 10,000, and there's 6 teams in Dublin.

Is your second partjut your pure ignorance, or lack of knowledge?
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    TBH, considering how much new Sunderland fans cropped up when it effectively became an Irish franchise I would imagine it would do very well

... and it wore off quite quickly, sure anyway to the most part, many of them supporters would already have supported Man Utd, etc... and just tagged along for the Keane factor at Sunderland.

Go and ask any football fan in the World minus the teams in the top 2 in England and ask why they support they're local team, I can tell you one answer will be present throughtout and that's about an identity..

What is identity, precisely? And why dont ManU/Chelsea have it? Who decides what it is? Can I decide that Dublin FC has an identity?
    You'd think with that many peole alright, but sure add all the attendences of LoI matches in Dublin each week and you'd do well to hit 10,000, and there's 6 teams in Dublin.

Is your second partjut your pure ignorance, or lack of knowledge?.

As I have been saying, the LoI is a poor quality product; that is why it isnt supported.

Why is it ignorant to say I would support the entrance of a Cork team into the Premier League?
    ... and it wore off quite quickly, sure anyway to the most part, many of them supporters would already have supported Man Utd, etc... and just tagged along for the Keane factor at Sunderland.

So it shows there are many Irish football fans who would be very easily tempted to support Dublin FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Drkpower, would you still support Dublin FC if they were relegated to, say league 1, within two seasons and were playing the likes of Gillingham? Would you go week in/week out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What is identity, precisely? And why dont ManU/Chelsea have it? Who decides what it is? Can I decide that Dublin FC has an identity?

They've lost there identity imo, as ever second person supports them, it's like supporting Ireland in football and Dublin in GAA it's an identity, it's were you are from/live.

As I have been saying, the LoI is a poor quality product; that is why it isnt supported.

So is the Polish 5th Division yet they get a few thousand at matches. Minus the old firm and the LoI would be on par with Scotland yet there attendences are higher. Nothing to do with quality, it's to do with the mentality of the Irish footballing nation, if they wanted better quality football as a whole like you're saying they'd support Man Utd/Liverpool and then England.
    Why is it ignorant to say I would support the entrance of a Cork team into the Premier League?

You said "Cork probably doesnt have the numbers to support its own team but if they did, Id support it." Cork City FC sunshine.

So it shows there are many Irish football fans who would be very easily tempted to support Dublin FC[/QUOTE]

Cork probably doesnt have the numbers to support its own team but if they did, Id support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

You're funny.:P

Drkpower, would you still support Dublin FC if they were relegated to, say league 1, within two seasons and were playing the likes of Gillingham? Would you go week in/week out?

I didnt say i'd support them if they were playing ManU every week;). Im discussing the potential viability of such a team. And Im not saying that the idea is infallible. Im saying that, if allowed, it stands a very good chance of success. A large part of that potential depends on success on the field, particularly in the first 5-10 years before home support has a chance to develop roots.

You may have mistaken me as someone who already sleeps under a Dublin FC duvet at night; I dont. But I can see the merits of the idea as well as the de-merits. On balance, it is far more likely to succed than not. But you are right; setbacks such as relegation in the early years would pose difficulties for it, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Would another setback not be that they'd hardly be allowed to just start in the premiership. Surely they'd have to start at the bottom and work their way up??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Be interesting to see a poll to say who would see a "Dublin FC" on a regular basis

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well the Welsh play in the English League
    And I'm sure clubs from Luxembourg and Liechenstien play in foreign leagues.
    And Berwick is located in England but their football team plays in the Scottish league

So the precedent is there already

• Advertisement

it's an identity, it's were you are from/live..
    Great; thats my argument - I want Dublin kids to support a team from where they live, Dublin. Not Man U, not Chelsea, but Dublin. Im glad to see you are coming around to my way of thinking; good man.
    if they wanted better quality football as a whole like you're saying they'd support Man Utd/Liverpool and then England...

They do support ManU/L'Pool!! You arent making much sense:D.

The 'England' analogy isnt relevant. Ireland's national team compete at the highest level of the game. They may not be as good as England but that isnt the issue. Shels etc dont compete at the highest level of the game; that is why Irish kids even support teams like Villa/Sunderland etc - its not about supporting the best team; people want to support a team who are competing at the highest level of the game. Dublin FC would do that - they dont need to win everythoing to maintain the support.
    You said "Cork probably doesnt have the numbers to support its own team but if they did, Id support it." Cork City FC sunshine.

This is a discussion about a Dublin team entering the Premier League; Cork dont have the numbers to support its own team in the Premier League. I'd have thought that was pretty clear..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mikemac wrote: »
    And Berwick is located in England but their football team plays in the Scottish league

They weren't pumped straight into the top division I'd bet though.

And it's slightly different case here as transport would be dependant on plane/ferry, making it more awkward and expensive.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They weren't pumped straight into the top division I'd bet though.

True, the right way to do it would be like Wimbledon AFC.
    You start at the bottom of the pyramid and work your way up. If you are good you're race up through the bottom leagues
    And it's slightly different case here as transport would be dependant on plane/ferry, making it more awkward and expensive.

I don't accept that. Say Cork to Glasgow or Dublin to Portsmouth. All short flights or even ferry trips. (edit: I'm aware there aren't direct ferry trips on those routes)
    France is a national league and the likes of Calais to Marseilles are a multiple of that distance. The distances in Germany are even greater! Though they have fantastic train networks it's still hours and hours on a train between Hamburg and Munich. If you take a plane then that negates the argument against Irish teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

mikemac wrote: »

That isn't really a great argument though. Wales, Scotland and England are all part of the UK while i'm pretty sure Liechenstein used to be a Swiss canton.

An Irish team playing in the English league would'nt be as easily accomadated not least in the eyes of FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

people want to support a team who are competing at the highest level of the game

:

Only Irish people want this really , Other countries people are happy enough to support teams that represent them rather than teams that win lots of stuff including funnily enough the English themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

gustavo wrote: »
    Only Irish people want this really , Other countries people are happy enough to support teams that represent them rather than teams that win lots of stuff including funnily enough the English themselves

Its also really only an Irish phenomenon to ignore your own league and support a foreign one .

Advertisement