Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best book on the history of English literature?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Book reading is my hobby. I want to know the history of English literature. Can you the names of few good books?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

What do you mean, a historical account of all English literature? I don't know if such a thing would even be possible. There's a decent book by Declan Kilbred called 'Inventing Ireland' which is really just a post colonial critique of Anglo Irish literature. Its very interesting and comprehensive. I'm sure there are similar efforts by British and American authors for their own country.

Another book which you might find interesting, and one which changed the way I think about the East is Edward Said's 'Orientalism'.

Advertisement