Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pork

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi

just wondering is pork ok to give dogs? i have heard before that it should not be given to them?
    also my dog eats hills. do any of you mix the dried food with anything so he's not eatign the same thing day in day out? he gets liver and rice every week or so but was thinking i could mix in some tuna r smething every other day with the dried stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

you could try sardines in olive oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

Paul91 wrote: »
    you could try sardines in olive oil

In Lidl at the moment at 37 cent a can. Great value! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

cool thanks, aparantly dogs love smelly food...the smellier the better - rekon the sardines are up there on the stink scale :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Phenix wrote: »
    cool thanks, aparantly dogs love smelly food...the smellier the better - rekon the sardines are up there on the stink scale :)

ye my OH loves them - not - :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Make sure that if you give sardines or tuna thats its the one in sunflower oil and not brine as the brine is too high in salt for them.:)

Pork can be a little salty for dogs too so i wouldnt feed that too often.

Dogs can get fussy if you add stuff all the time so i would leave the add ins as treats, maybe once or twice a week.

What could happen is the dog gets used to eating his food mixed with nice things then wont eat the dry food on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

andreac wrote: »
    Make sure that if you give sardines or tuna thats its the one in sunflower oil and not brine as the brine is too high in salt for them.:)

Pork can be a little salty for dogs too so i wouldnt feed that too often.

Dogs can get fussy if you add stuff all the time so i would leave the add ins as treats, maybe once or twice a week.

What could happen is the dog gets used to eating his food mixed with nice things then wont eat the dry food on its own.

great thanks. just another question though, he seems to have developed weird eating habits. we give him his dinner in the evening, but he picks at it. We used to bring his dish upstaris at bed time and he'd eat it through out the night but we have since stopped doing this. is this correct? this has only really started since goign to day care a couple of times during the week. the days he goes to day care he will come home form there and is so tired will jsut go to bed but then i am concerned he will be hungry during the night or something, hence the idea of mixing his food with someting really tasty in the hope he will eat it before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, you would be right to stop the feeding at night.
    I personally dont like the idea of free feeding and its better if a routine is established.

Would the day care feed him for you instead if hes that tired when he gets home?

Advertisement