Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Music Store (what do you think?)

• 11-11-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭

I posted this over in the meteor forum and got no replies (that forum is becoming a ghost town)

Songs cost €1.50 and can be downloaded to a mobile (PAYG data charges apply ie 99cent) or to a computer or both.
    Music songs for download on computer are MP3 and are transcoded to 256kbps for better sound quality.
    Music songs for download on mobile are AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) /AAC+ format and are transcoded to 64kbps.

Seems like they have a lot of songs out there (1.4 million tracks). The price is a bit more expensive (€1.50) compared to (€0.99) in other stores out there. It is handy that the money comes out of your credit. Here is the link to the store: https://music.meteor.ie/home.aspx

I think they'll have to lower their prices or at lease make it cheaper to buy an album.

What do you think of it, will you be buying from it ?

Will you use the Meteor Music store ? 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    13% 2 votes
    Maybe
    73% 11 votes
    Not a Meteor customer
    13% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

hahaha is that the same store that eircom advertise on the warning page on the road to piratebay

...wait...aren't most songs on itunes 99cent? let me get out my calculator ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

strecker wrote: »
    ...wait...aren't most songs on itunes 99cent? let me get out my calculator ;)

yes here is one calculation ;) to buy say the codes album it would cost €19.50 compared to €9.79 on other sites :eek: I wonder if meteor give the extra profit to the artists....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There charging for data to download the songs:confused:, that's a rip off, i'm using the 3 music store since it launched, can preview videos and songs at no charge and also get 3 copys of each song, just in case I loose my phone...
    nice try meteor, just not good enough yet...

also get 3 copys of each song, just in case I loose my phone...
    nice try meteor, just not good enough yet...

Meteor also give you the 3 copies to download too I forgot to mention that but I still agree with your last comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Wait, they actually charge you for not only downloading the song at €1.50, but for the data usage of that download as well? They need to look at what their competitors have been doing for years and sort that out now, as that is ridiculous.
    Meteor wrote:

3. I bought a Music Song on my mobile which was priced at 1.50, when I checked my balance I had been charged 2.49. Why is this?

Pay As You Go Customers are charged data charges to download content. This charge is up to a max of 0.99/day as per Daily Mobile Internet Pricing.

Also, I don't see any mention of DRM, but I'm sure they're using it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Meteor also give you the 3 copies to download too I forgot to mention that but I still agree with your last comment

Only 2 times if it's from Sony BMG. ;)
    Meteor wrote:
    8. Is the song mine to keep?

Yes, the song is yours to keep. You can also redownload the song for free if you have deleted the song from your mobile or your computer. Simply go to MyDownloads to redownload a song. In most cases you can redownload a song 3 times, however in the case of songs provided by Sony BMG, you can only redownload a song 2 times.

yes here is one calculation ;) to buy say the codes album it would cost €19.50 compared to €9.79 on other sites :eek: I wonder if meteor give the extra profit to the artists....:rolleyes:

Yeah, wanna bet ;) They're pro-art and freedom'n'all that

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Also, I don't see any mention of DRM, but I'm sure they're using it?

They don't use DRM AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

if there's no DRM i'll give it a try

• Advertisement

Just to confirm that all tracks are all DRM free . (source Meteor admin )

Just to confirm that all tracks are all DRM free . (source Meteor admin )

Just got a song off there. looks like 256kbit mp3 alright, but the thing they sent to my phone is a 800k .dcf file? and the quality is horrible for the one they send to your phone so you have to transfer with cable/email/bt
    ID_DEMUXER=audio
    ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=85
    ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=256000
    ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
    ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
    ID_LENGTH=281.00
    ==========================================================================
    Forced audio codec: mad
    Opening audio decoder: [libmad] libmad mpeg audio decoder
    AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 256.0 kbit/18.14% (ratio: 32000->176400)
    ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=256000
    ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
    ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
    Selected audio codec: [mad] afm: libmad (libMAD MPEG layer 1-2-3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Looks like a complete BS service.

€1.50 is a bit more expensive than their competitors, and I see no reason why anyone would buy something from that store, when you can get them cheaper at hmv.com/downloads, play.com, 7digital.ie, loads others.

And they're not even proper 320K downloads. It says they're "transcoded" to 256K. Does this mean they're doing a dreaded lossy-to-lossy transcode (ie - encoding a 320K mp3 to 256K, if this is the case it will sound even worse than a proper 256K encoded from CD/WAV)

And am I right in saying they don't even have a discount for buying the whole album? So this Florence and the Machine album will cost €1.50 x 19 tracks = €28.50?!? for a crap 256K download (or even for the 64K version?) PLUS data charges?

EDIT: This Michael Jackson album costs €48. I'd be amazed if they sell a single copy. (sorry if I'm missing a 'buy album' option, but I don't see it anywhere).

A joke.

plazzTT wrote: »
    (sorry if I'm missing a 'buy album' option, but I don't see it anywhere).

There is no buy album option it's crazy pricing, I've raised this on the Meteor forum and waiting for a reply. €1.50 is cheaper than their ringtones which is only a part of a song which they price at wait for it........ €5.00 :eek: Who buy these things ?
    I think they will lower their price when they see nobody using it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Seems aimed at kids and teenagers who will waste their credit on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

That sounds terrible. I used the old vodafone music store once or twice back when I got my 6630, songs were 0.99c but quality wasn't great either.

I have absolutely no need whatsoever for this, don't want to pay data charges on top of their inflated pricing. I'll just transfer my music the old fashioned way, by usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ladeee

I just tried it out, I like it. Wont be buying all my music there but its handy to get the odd track for my mobile. Very easy to use!

funkyflea wrote: »
    That sounds terrible. I used the old vodafone music store once or twice back when I got my 6630, songs were 0.99c but quality wasn't great either.

I have absolutely no need whatsoever for this, don't want to pay data charges on top of their inflated pricing. I'll just transfer my music the old fashioned way, by usb.

usb is old fashioned now? what about rs-232?

Advertisement