Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

German Military Cemetery Glencree Wicklow Ireland

• 11-11-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I have posted up spme pictures from Glencree Military Cemetery in Wicklow that I thought some people here may be interested in.

German Military Cemetery Glencree Wicklow Ireland

134 persons are buried here including Luftwaffe & Kriegsmarine of which 53 are Identified and 28 unknown. These were in 59 Graves across 15 counties of Ireland until being moved to Glencree . Included also are the victims of the Arandora Star, German civilian detainees sank by U-Boat in 1940 off Tory Island. 6 WWI German POW's who died in a british POW camp are also buried here as is Dr Hermann Görtz who was one of a series of parachutists (including Irish born Sicherheitsdienst and Abwehr agents) to parachute into Ireland during WWII on espionage & IRA related activities. In the summer of 1940, Görtz parachuted into Ballivor, County Meath, Ireland he remained at large for a total of eighteen months. On his arrest Görtz was interned first at Mountjoy Prison then later Athlone Military barracks with 9 others until the end of the war. In 1947 under the threat of return to Germany and Soviet captivity he took his life by cyanide capsule.

http://www.militaria-archive.com/ireland%20glencree/index.html

Glencree01.jpg

Glencree06.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Glencree09.jpg

Glencree20.jpg

Glencree17.jpg

I have been there a few times, Lovely place and an interesting bit of history in Glencree.

Glencree18.jpg

Glencree22.jpg

If anyone else has any pictures of other military/related cemeteries or Memorials feel free to post them here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I presume there will be a remembrance ceremony up there this Sunday, isn't it usually the week after the British one?

I presume there will be a remembrance ceremony up there this Sunday, isn't it usually the week after the British one?

Yes - on the 15th, Preusse posted a link over on the militaria forum . .. .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055174883&page=18

apparently their website is incorrect and it is the Sunday 15th. I might head up to this if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Thanks for posting, Morlar! Very nice images.

Yes, it's this Sunday the 15th starting at 11.30am but get there earlier to get a good parking space.

People will probably notice the remedial work carried out, new drainage and so on to reduce the water-logged patches on the cemetery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Excellent pics Morlar ! :)
    how did you get up the hill to take the one from above ?
    did you climb up by the stream ??

There's a path there leading to the stone cross overlooking the cemetery.

Preusse wrote: »
    There's a path there leading to the stone cross overlooking the cemetery.

Yep, at the time they were taken that path was wet and treacherous but it leads you up to the area of the Cross. Does anyone know anything about the Belgian buried there ? It says on the grave 'Ein Belgischer Kriegstoter' marked 132 ? I was thinking maybe he was a Belgian born German soldier or possibly someone from the Arandora sinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

I've read about it alrite, but can't remember at the moment. I think that there is more non-German nationals buried there as sometimes it was impossible to recognize the uniform on the bodies washed ashore, if the bodies had some sort of uniform at all...
    I think that they are buried there, because Belgium was part of the 3rd Reich /?/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

I have been there, it's very solemn. I wonder if many young Germans living in Ireland know of it's existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Have all German war dead been moved to Glencree? There's a headstone in Templemore for a German soldier and I'm wondering if it's just left there and the body been moved.

I believe they were all moved to Glencree - Preusse may have more information on that. Do you know the name on the Templemore one ? Would you have a picture by any chance ?

Hi guys, yes this has been asked before. It's only the headstone left in Templemore. The remains have been moved a long time ago.

Advertisement