Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas holly

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all - I'm wondering where I can get some CHEAP fresh holly LEGALLY in the Galway and surrounding area!

Thanks!
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi all - I'm wondering where I can get some CHEAP fresh holly LEGALLY in the Galway and surrounding area!

Thanks!
    M

any woods surely. no wait maybe that's not legal. buy it from a pikey who took it illegally from the woods. you'll feel better.

BTW, do they still christmas trees outside S. pats?
    I remember when you could buy the turkeys at the market and yer man would either wring its neck there and then or you could take them home and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

No trees or holly outside St. Pat's NS yet but there should be soon. There will be plenty of holly there and up along Naughton's car park and fairly reasonable too if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Fuinseog wrote: »
    any woods surely. no wait maybe that's not legal. buy it from a pikey who took it illegally from the woods. you'll feel better.

I would feel worse buying from someone outside St. Pat's than if I went and cut it myself.

From what I have seen of certain people selling holly, they sometimes cut down the whole holly bush and then they cut it up into smaller pieces and sell it that way. If you cut the whole bush it will never grow back and that's why holly has become quite scarce in Ireland.

If you just cut a piece from the holly bush it will grow back and the bush will be there next year. It's probably more responsible to go and cut it yourself rather than buying it off someone not knowing how they cut it.

I know not all people who sell holly cut the whole bush but some do.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

KevR wrote: »
    I would feel worse buying from someone outside St. Pat's than if I went and cut it myself.

From what I have seen of certain people selling holly, they sometimes cut down the whole holly bush and then they cut it up into smaller pieces and sell it that way. If you cut the whole bush it will never grow back and that's why holly has become quite scarce in Ireland.

If you just cut a piece from the holly bush it will grow back and the bush will be there next year. It's probably more responsible to go and cut it yourself rather than buying it off someone not knowing how they cut it.

I know not all people who sell holly cut the whole bush but some do.

This is a non stop learning curve. Can anyone grow a holly bush? And when best to plant? Where does one get the plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

KevR wrote: »
    . If you cut the whole bush it will never grow back .

You forgot to put "in my opinion", as that statement is false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dec25532 wrote: »
    This is a non stop learning curve. Can anyone grow a holly bush? And when best to plant? Where does one get the plant?

i am not a gardener, but I'd say it wouldn't be ready for christmas if you planted it now.

personally if i need the holly i walk into the owwds and take what I need. obviously if everyone were to do thatvthere would be no more holly but I live on the outskirts of the city and that's the way we have always done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Come back and ask sometime near Christmas!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You could buy a bush in the garden centre and get a few sprigs off it for Christmas, depends if you're looking for boughs though. Also be aware with the early frost we've had that it's likely the birds will have a lot if the berries gone by Christmas. The mammy has 5 big bushes and she said birds landed down on them in plague proportions yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Anybody can grow a holly bush but they are slow growing and usually you must buy a female and male variety to get berries in Winter. The most well known female variety is "Golden King".
    They are beautiful in a garden.http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Ilex_%27Golden_King%27_(Holly).htm

Grow them near each other or in different parts of the garden. You can plant them at any time of the year but the best time is now up until April while the growing season hasn't started.
    Go to any good garden centre and they will give you more details.
    In Galway McGaughs in Curraghline (headford Rd) and Dangean Nurseries in the city would be good places to start.
    http://www.mcgaughs.com/
    http://www.danganhousenurseries.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fuinseog wrote: »
    buy it from a pikey who took it illegally from the woods
    im-watching-you-focker.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ivy - get some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

[quote=Fuinseog;62960873 buy it from a pikey who took it illegally from the woods. you'll feel better.

Do you wake up every morning and intentionally set out to abuse people
    or is that something inherant to you ??
    first racism now this... someone needs to moderate your use of the english language

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On topic, you can probably get it from various florists around.

Advertisement