Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensor Tendon

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

My horse ruptured his off-fore extensor tendon. Its a complete rupture but there is no open wound.

Anyone have any experience of a similar injury? It seems to be unusual enough.

I have accepted that he will be off work until springtime at the earliest :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Oh christ fits, thats horrible.

Is it Duchess? I have no experience (thankfully) of this injury but sending you vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

No its my new horse, an OTTB. We cantered into a deep boggy field out hunting (I didnt see that it was boggy in time as there were no horses in front of me) and it snapped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's awful, fits.

You're looking at a long holiday, and the longer the time you can give the horse the better. I've only ever viewed it from a racing point of view, so for me it's something that has always been dreaded as it will normally signal the end of the horse's career, both racing and even for normal/pleasure riding. though I suppose it depends on how seriously strained the tendon is. If it's not too bad, then there is some chance that the horse will be able to go back into pleasure riding.

This article may be of some help to you:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/horsecare/1370/48180.html

If you happen to have one or are inclined to procure one, the pony club manual has a few pages which deal with tendon injuries and how to treat them. Maybe the BHS manual would be helpful, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its not just a strain, its a complete rupture. But as its the extensor (at the front) rather than the flexor tendon, which is at the back of the leg and takes more strain, the vet seemed quite optimistic. She said the horse can compensate to a certain extent. She said that horses can even return to top level eventing after such a rupture.

But we have a long box rest followed by long field rest to look forward to :(

I must look in my manual actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

TIME is your best healer. Like any other tendon rupture its the only way.
    Once he will let you do start to gentle massage the Tendon with your fingers.New growth will not be as stretchable as the origional and so any help you can give it wil be worth it.(its exactly what a physio would do for you).
    Also this may sound way off the wall but leave him unshod as much as possible(only basic trimming to prevent cracksetc) so he will have his natural footfall, his body was made to support him so let it use nature to fix it.
    My own Horse is a TB who ruptured the same flexor twice at 4 and 6(that why I got him) and he is now rising 9, back in full work and has hunted already this season.

Hope it goes well

• Advertisement
Advertisement