Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card needs.

Options
  • 11-11-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently got gears of war for the pc. However, it won't run on my computer. I also play football manager 2009 quite a lot. I can run the 3d version of the game but only at the lowest setting.

I was wondering does this sound like a graphics card issue. I bought the pc about a year ago and at the time the pc was top of the range.

Can anyone tell me how to check what card is already installed? And where is the best place to get a graphics card at a competitive price?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Do you have a Desktop or a laptop?

In vista and win 7 hit start and type in 'dxdiag' without quotes and press enter.

in xp click start > run > dxdiag

In the first page you should see a list under system information.

take note of your processor type and post it here.

click on the display tab on the top of the page and post what it says beside 'name:'

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭outsidethe65

Cheers crinkelite.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll do this when I get home and post it up tonught.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It definitely wasn't top of the range a year ago if you can't run Gears of War or can only run FM at low settings, I've a machine here that's about 5 years old and it runs Gears of War fine! The machine itself just needs a new video card. No CPU released in the past few years is incapable of playing that game as long as you have a decent card - one capable of playing Gears of War at high settings would only set you back about 45 euro.

Its a desktop running off vista

Processor type is: intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4 GHz

Name in display tab: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i

What do you think?

Cheers.

Ok, your graphics card is definitely the limiting factor here, In fact it's not really a graphics card but an integrated chip that's part of your mother board. In any case you'll want to get yourself sorted with a ittle more muscle. I'm no expert on these things but I know terror firmer keeps his ear to the ground so you should probably ask him.

two things you need to look at are.

The dimentions of your case -height/width/bredth . (grafics cards have gotten considerably bigger in recent months)

The make and model of your power supply. (this is crucial so open your case and have a look.)

In any case you should be able to find something that will suit regardless of these factors and you'll be amazed at the difference. graphics card prices have crashed in recent months so you can get fantastic performance for around €160 or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I bought the pc about a year ago and at the time the pc was top of the range.

Can I just ask where you bought the machine from?

Cheers CrinkElite.

I appreciate your advise. I know what I'm dealing with now. Thanks.

I bought the pc in pc world. I also got the service package that entitles me to a healthcheck every year for the first 3 years. I'll see what the upgrade options are when I take it in.

if you are very uncomfortable with doing your own upgrade you could rely on pcworld but if you ask anyone here they'll tell you stay the hell away from them, they will only offer you substandard hardware at extortionate prices. don't forget that these people sold you a laptop taht they claimed was ''top of the range'' and you can't even play a game thats over 3 years old. I would advise you to bite the bullet and do it yourself, there are many people here who will walk you through it step by step and when your done you'll no longer be at the mercy of these vultures. I assume this will not be the last computer you will ever buy.

Cheers CrinkElite.

Cheers CrinkElite.
    I'll give it a shot and see how I get on.

Thanks for the advise.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Can I get advise on the following graphics card:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/NVIDIA_Quadro_NVS_290_-_graphics_adapter_-_Quadro_NVS_290_-_256_MB_GN502ET/version.asp

Do you think this would be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

no, Quadro are are the high end business line from Nvidia. Basically way too expensive for your average home user.

What's your power supply? A decent sub €100 card is the 4770. But you need to have a spare PCI 6 pin power connector on your PSU for it.

Actually, the PSU in that PC will be the most important determining factor as to what you can get. Better find out the wattage of it.

the 4770 is probably the best option but you definitely have to open your machine and find out what power supply you have. If you have any documentation from when you bought it you should dig it up. we really should find out what motherboard you have also.

Hi.

Got the pc back from pc world after its healthcheck. I don't think they did anything really with it.....but no surprise there!!!

I am going to get a 4770 graphics card. I was quoted €130 in pc world for it but the link earlier was for €80.

My power supply is a 250 watt which is too small. I was quoted €60 for this which I suspect is too much as well.

Can you advise which power supply to get please and I'll have a shot at fitting it myself. Hopefully, it will be a matter of plug and play.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Hmmmm is a 250watt psu too small??

It would certainly be a close call, but you could try it!

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=490297 €80

and this is prob the cheapest psu you can get which is also efficient.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404885
    It would do fine for your setup.

But the psu you have currently might also be able to run it fine anyway.

What does everyone else think?

I'm no expert on PSU's but my philosophy is buy a good brand and leave plenty of headroom, those Corsairs are suppose to go for years. so there a safe bet. personaly If I were in the OP's position I would probably go with

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686
    (this may be cheaper on pixmania but I can't get onto their site at the moment.)

or if you have a smaller case and like things to be neat and tidy i'd go for

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=404889
    (the cables have plugs at both ends so you can shelve the ones you don't need)

personally I think you have a reasonable machine there, the q6600 has a bit of life left in her yet. why don't you take the money you would have given to pc world and spend it on bringing the rest of your pc up to speed.

either of those power supplies will be fine with the 4870/4890 .

4870 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206

4890 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179869 (Links taken from Effluo's helpful posts in the bargain alerts thread.)

you just need to be sure it will all fit in your case. see if you can find any identifying numbers or marks on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Why dont you take a picture of the inside of your case and attach it here so we can see what kind of space you have ?

Here is a picture of the inside of the unit. I think there should be enough room:

Here is a picture of the inside of the unit. I think there should be enough room:

I think you're right, You'll definitely need that new power supply. I can't see the lable perfectly but i think it says 8.0A in the 12vRail(the important one).

second opinions anyone?

on second thoughts

the airflow doesn't look terribly good in that case. (generally gpu's will generate a good deal of heat)
    You may need to buy a new case if you wish to proceed.
    I'll have a look around but you can expect to spend around €30-50 for a bog standard one.
    Some companies sell power supplies and cases together as a bundle. This is generally a bad idea but if you go with a good brand.. say Coolermaster or something you may do well in the deal.
    One thing to remember is p&p on a case can add a fair bit to the price.
    You could also try www.adverts.ie maybe someone in you're area has a case for sale. (don't forget to haggle ;))
    If your handy with a drill/dremel you could try to modify the one you have.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2627053/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-gddr5.html

4890 for €130.
    Not bad!

I had a look on the pc-world website.
    Their Irish site just redirects to to English one but they should have roughly the same selection on the on the high street here.
    It looks like you can get a reasonable one for around €45.
    normally I wouldn't recommend them for anything but at least this way you avoid p&p costs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement