Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Street stores you hate

• 11-11-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Pick one store that you would like to rid the world of. Do you think H n M clothes look like Fame on acid? Do you think River Island just do too damn many diamantes or do you hate Topshop because it's created an army of alternative clones?

My vote goes for Jane Norman. Absolutely despise their cheap materials, tacky patterns awful shimmery diamondy stuff.

You?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

Top Shop out!! The store just annoys me so much, due to the fact I NEVER see ANYTHING that suits me. In the past 6 years Ive bought one item of clothing there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I used to be the same, but now I buy quite a few bits in there because my best friend works there so its a nice 25% discount. Makes ya look a bit harder haha. But I find some of their pieces are a bit "alternative for the sake of being alternative"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hunnybee

I have to agree with Jane Norman..ultra cac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bruzz

Also Jane Norman. everything just looks cheap and sorta cast off lookalikes from other high street shops. Have not been in there in an age!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Topman. Great clothes but they're just ridiculously expensive. So many times I've bought something in there and then seen a similar item of clothing cheaper in River Island or H&M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I used to love Jane Norman but they have the same stuff in there for the past 4 years, literally.. I saw the 'Chinese dress' in there last week in Blanch.. I bought that very same dress in 2005 :eek:

+1 also for Top Shop, I never find anything nice in there it's all horrible nasty looking sh1te..

Vero Moda is another one gone sh1te.. haven't seen anything decent in there in ages..

Then there's the really sh1te ones like Japan and Motive in the Ilac Centre :eek: Christ alive that's some tack :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I used to be a massive River Island fan but in recent years it's gone as tacky as hell! I don't enjoy queuing behind an army of pram pushing chavs in belly tops while I prepare to be ripped off for poor, poor quality clothes.

Oddly enough, River Island up North is amaaaazing!

(though the Ilac centre one has piqued my interest, seems to look pretty cool!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

jane normal is awful. its the same as it first came out. They really need to update their styles! Yeuck!!

River Island I find very mis-matchy. Again, they have the same stuff. They have the same heavy knitted jumpers every year, and then these awful going out tops that could be nice if they didnt have a weird looking pattern of beads at the neck, shoulder etc.

Topshop I find v hard to find stuff in. The one on grafton st is nice. The one in jervis is hopeless and arnotts one has nice accessories.

Vera moda i just dont get. I know lots of people that have shopped there over the years and every time i go in i just do a u-turn.

oasis, some of their clothes can be ok but they always have the same styles!!! you could ask 5 girls to line up wearing a dress and every time i can pick out the oasis one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

BT2 is full of pretentious gee's! Hate that place...

Top Shop and River Island is the best around, but thats mainly because its the only place I can get clothes or fit me!

I dunno if anybody else has this, but if you like me with a small build the only size that fits is XS and sometime Small, depending on the item of clothing (I only have a 30" waist and weigh 9st, so image my size!)

I have often tried size "small" from other stores and they are just HUGE! They hang off me. If anybody knows "Heroes" in Waterford... its just the biggest load of s**te ever... every small size is probably a medium!

I was never so gutted when Top Man was moved out of Waterford, yet Top Shop stayed... SERIOUSLY, what was all that about??? River Island is OK, but only stock very limited XS items, most of which are much and you wouldn't wear!

Rant over! Bring back Top Man to Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Penney's and H&M. Penney's have such terrible clothes compared to Primark, really cheap chavvy stuff on the whole, and of course there's the problem that their clothes don't wash well!

H&M, again, way better selection in their UK stores, most of the clothes in the Irish stores is so plain and boring, and their sizing is really bizarre. Everything they sell seems to run about 2 sizes too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    they are overpriced compared to most other high street retailers because all their clothes are sweat shop free. well that's how they justify their prices.

tbh i love AA because i love plain hoodies, t-shirts etc. i don't need to pretend that i went to huntington beach in 1992 cause that's just lying and looks fugly to me :pac:.

i don't particularly hate any store as you can find small things in each one that when you pick and match between them all it's great.

the only one i'd not really go to is tk maxx, purely because it's also a nightmere to find nice things, granted you do find nice things but i'm a man... i want in and out in the quickest time possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

What IS it with River Island these days? They have masses of jeans but ALL DARK INDIGO wash! I havent been able to locate a light pair in there for nearly 3 years.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Jane Norman. Without a doubt. Can't stand it. Not too keen on Bershka either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

What IS it with River Island these days? They have masses of jeans but ALL DARK INDIGO wash! I havent been able to locate a light pair in there for nearly 3 years.

There were a lot of light coloured jeans in River Island in the last few months. There aren't now because it is winter and pale coloured denim is not as good a seller now as it is from say March/April to August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hornyfemale

Jane Norman
    Dorothy Perkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

River Island, it's tacky overpriced muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Another vote for River Island.

They do practically nothing but light jeans during the summer, and dark jeans in the winter. Tis just the way they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

River Island
    Jane Norman
    About half of Topshop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Big vote for Jane Norman too...such crappy badly fitting clothes its ridiculous and they do nothing for anyone's figure!

Would also vote for Bershka...such an odd shop with no real direction of what their style is...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

Jane Norman too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Bershka I love half of it.. but then theyve the teeny-tacky crap down the back. It is brilliant for holiday clothes though imo

Stradivarius is the biddgest joke of a shop ever. While they occasionslly have something id wear, the sizes are just all over the shop. Im an 8-10 yet id take a 14 plus in there half the time Shockin. Also, skinny jeans that wouldnt fit my forearm.

I love Topshop though i very rarely find anything other than tshirts that would suit me in there.

River Island-eugh, no thanks.

Vera Moda-used to be amazing, be havent found anything in there in ages.

Also noticed a few tacktastic 'going out' stores popping up everywhere lately, such as Sugarbabe (i think) in gpo arcade and that new one beside noname on Henry st. Whats gong on? Who buys that stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 naturalgoodies

River Island & Topshop are both dreadful in my opinion. I never see anything I like. Mind you I am not too keen on what is in fashion at the moment & they just seem to stock 'fashion clothes'. I think shops should have more staples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 IWantThatOne

River Island...overpriced and most of it needs a good iron...

Jane norman...tacky, cheap material and god-awful patterns...and the mannequins on the windows are like a size minus 4...

The Jean Scene with their constant closing down sales...I wish they would close down...

I'm on a personal mission to boycottt Oasis...because it's so darn expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I absolutely hate Awear I just don't understand the appeal, it's an expensive penneys, before you even get out of the shop you can see ten people walking around in what you've just bought and it'll be sold off in the sales for a fiver before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

River Island - you pick up a top that looks gorgeous from the front, and turn it around and it's got all these random holes cut into it! Tack-tastic!

They can have some fab bags though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Jane Norman, Pennys and Next - crap quality. Next is particularly expensive considering the poor quality.

Topshop - I like but too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Jane Norman, just...yuck.

River Island. Overpriced. Bit tacky. Rarely though I do find some alright stuff there. (in the sales!)

I used to love Vero Moda but lately it's been shit.

I LOVE the clothes in Zara but they are just such bad quality! They always fit me very well and are definitely my style but 80% of the clothes I have bought there have fallen apart in a matter of weeks. So I have given up on the place.

I also love Topshop but it's very expensive. Especially the prices in this country. That's why I try them on in the shop and then buy them online. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Jane Norman, just...yuck.

River Island. Overpriced. Bit tacky. Rarely though I do find some alright stuff there. (in the sales!)

I used to love Vero Moda but lately it's been shit.

I LOVE the clothes in Zara but they are just such bad quality! They always fit me very well and are definitely my style but 80% of the clothes I have bought there have fallen apart in a matter of weeks. So I have given up on the place.

I also love Topshop but it's very expensive. Especially the prices in this country. That's why I try them on in the shop and then buy them online. :D

I didn't know that would work. I thought they would sell at Irish prices when you have an Irish address!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

eth0_ wrote: »
    Penney's and H&M. Penney's have such terrible clothes compared to Primark, really cheap chavvy stuff on the whole, and of course there's the problem that their clothes don't wash well!

H&M, again, way better selection in their UK stores, most of the clothes in the Irish stores is so plain and boring, and their sizing is really bizarre. Everything they sell seems to run about 2 sizes too small.

H&M's clothes fit me perfectly. Maybe you're just two sizes too fat. Cheeky I know, but if you're thinking that their sizes are way smaller compared to Topshop or French Connection for example then you should know that these stores increased the sizes of all their range a few years ago in order to make bigger woman fit into a size 12 or 14 or whatever. I think it's terrible. If women are a size 16, or men a 36 waist then they should know that and not think that they're a healthy weight because they can now magically fit into a topshop 14 or topman 32 waist. Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

jane norman is absolute tack on a rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    uurrrrgghhhhhhh!!!! its disgusting!!

hmmmm i hate river island aswell clothes are just so shoddy!!! pennys is nearly better quality and least you get what you pay for!!

i dont like lipsy anymore now either since it opened in dundrum, everyone is wearing it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Next. yawn.

compsys wrote: »
    H&M's clothes fit me perfectly.

I find H&M sizes to be weird. I'm almost always a size smaller in their clothes, however, I tried on a dress there last week that was a size 12 (I'm normally a 10, often an 8 in H&M) and it was WAY too small for me! It usually depends on the particular item of clothing really, not the shop as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

or men a 36 waist then they should know that and not think that they're a healthy weight

hate to burst your rant bubble there but the majority of athletic rugby players would be a size 36 waist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

River Island and Topshop would be my main ones... Overpriced, and more than a little tacky a lot of the time.

I don't really like H&M in Ireland - their stuff in the UK is generally nicer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

H&M's clothes fit me perfectly. Maybe you're just two sizes too fat. Cheeky I know, but if you're thinking that their sizes are way smaller compared to Topshop or French Connection for example then you should know that these stores increased the sizes of all their range a few years ago in order to make bigger woman fit into a size 12 or 14 or whatever. I think it's terrible. If women are a size 16, or men a 36 waist then they should know that and not think that they're a healthy weight because they can now magically fit into a topshop 14 or topman 32 waist. Rant over.

That doesn't really make much sense.....if H&M fits you perfectly then surely you're a different size in other shops? I think the poster was complaining about the inconsistency with sizes in different shops not about wearing a certain size. H&M are about one size smaller in normal clothes and maybe even two sizes in jeans/trousers. I'm a size 10 in Riverisland, Topshop, Awear, Oasis but some size 12 (well their size 29-30) jeans are a bit tight in H&M. I don't care that they're telling me I'm not a size ten, I care because I have to bring about three sizes into the dressing room.

Anyway my vote goes for Jane Norman. It's awful! All those tacky shops like the Jean scene, Japan, Crisis, Swamp etc are so bad I can barely call them highstreet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You're very wrong about all of this. H&M's sizes are actually one smaller than they say, try looking at the European sizes compared to the sizes in other shops sometime.

• Like most people, I hate Jane Norman. I do not understand why anyone buys clothes there. There are maybe 2 or 3 nice things and everything else looks like cheap tat. River Island ditto. In fact, I barely ever find anything to wear on the high street. I went shopping and came back empty handed a while back. The only stuff I like was in Urban Outfitters and I find it terribly overpriced.

• phasers wrote: »
    You're very wrong about all of this. H&M's sizes are actually one smaller than they say, try looking at the European sizes compared to the sizes in other shops sometime.

Indeed. They sell size 36 clothes as a 10, but 36 should be an 8. I have no idea why they do this.

• Advertisement

^ It's because in Denmark/Sweden it's 2 sizes smaller than France/Spain etc. Like in France a size 10 is 38 but in Sweden it's 36.

Regarding H n M, I also find the inconsistency in sizes, at the moment Im wearing a skirt that sits on your waist from there in a size 14. and I have a small waist, Im also wering a tshirt from there in a size 10 and a cardigan in a size 8 (I do love them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Less of that please. You have been warned. - Larianne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jane Norman is an obvious one. Cheap, horrible clothes.

I never really buy clothes in River Island because I don't like a lot of what they stock but I love their shoes and accessories.

I never shop in Awear. I don't like the clothes. The sizes, particularly the trouser sizes, are inconsistent. The quality is often rubbish. I'm constantly seeing people in the same outfits from Awear.

I don't really like shops anyway which is why I shop online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

hanner wrote: »

i dont like lipsy anymore now either since it opened in dundrum, everyone is wearing it now.

I'm with you on that. I used to love Lipsy clothes but the stuff in the Dundrum shop has just the tackiest stuff and it's awful. Was very very disappointed when that opened.

I cannot stand River Island. The clothes are horrific. I can't remember the last time I saw something I liked in there. They do lovely bags but that's all I can bear to look at cos it's just awful.

Topshop is incredibly overpriced but I love their jeans as they're the only ones I've found that fit me. I'd shop there a lot more if I could afford any of it.

I'm not really offended by Jane Norman, I got a dress there about 3 years ago for my 18th that I still wear cos I love it but other than that I never really think to shop in there.

The likes of all the Swamp, Rude, Rave whatever the hell they're called shops are just horrendous though. Should all be burnt to the ground...

I hate lipsy. I think everything in it is cheap and tacky. Essex girls on a night out kinda thing. Cheap materials and diamantes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I never buy anything from River Island, Oasis, Next or Jane Norman.

River Island and Jane Norman tend to have tacky stuff with things hanging off the the tops. I dunno. Although River Island always have nice bags and shoes but too expensive.

Oasis and Next are incredibly boring. I find anyway.

I'm loving the Arnotts Project. Some of the stuff is fab in there. They have Max C London. YAY! And 20% off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

mood wrote: »
    I didn't know that would work. I thought they would sell at Irish prices when you have an Irish address!

Nope... they sell in sterling. Works out cheaper.

Topshop... blah... i always seem to see lovely clothes on people but when I go in I never find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

I was in the Arnotts Project is just has your srumbag henlays and your Ben serman that stuff is s.hit does anyone else think that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Wow, I didn't realise how many people hate Jane Norman. I find its the only place I can actually find anything nice. The only places I shop really are A Wear for jeans (the only place I can find ones that actually fit me nicely) and JN for tops. Yeah there is a lot of crap but there are some real gems. I know if I wear a JN, that's a sure way to get compliments, and that's from girls as well. I can't stand any other shops on the high streets, but then I really don't like most of the current fashion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement