Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Street stores you hate

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭addictedtoshoes

Other than the shoes, River Island is awful, you almost need sunglasses walking in because everything is luminous! It's just not a nice shop to browse around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

eth0_ wrote: »
    H&M, again, way better selection in their UK stores, most of the clothes in the Irish stores is so plain and boring, and their sizing is really bizarre. Everything they sell seems to run about 2 sizes too small.

Yeah I find this too, rather depressing when trying stuff on!
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Topshop... blah... i always seem to see lovely clothes on people but when I go in I never find anything.

Same here for Topshop, I get the rare, real odd piece in there but thats about it.
    Never find anything in A-Wear, i like Oasis stuff but they are waaay over priced! ridiculously so especially when you can find nearly the same cheaper if you shop around.
    Jane Norman is terribly overpriced for the tat they sell, never bought anything there though.

As for penneys, I wouldnt do away with it so much but I have Zero patience for it, the sheer size and mess everywhere puts me off, unless you go in first thing in the morning midweek! Which reeks of effort for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

cmpunk wrote: »
    I was in the Arnotts Project is just has your srumbag henlays and your Ben serman that stuff is s.hit does anyone else think that

For guys? Yeah the ranges aren't great for guys. But they do have Superdry!

H&M is the best for guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

H & M..what happened it!? It used to be so good, for tops, little jackets etc, but the stuff they have now is just rubbish. Also I can't stand a bad fit. It dosnt matter how nice the item is, if the fit is bad then its a no no.
    H & M dont seem to sit right, and i don't think its just on me...their trousers/jeans seems to give me a weird shaped ass. ive seen this on other people to.
    and as for jane norman....ugh.

Top shop and UO all the way! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hate, hate, hate Jane Norman, tacky, cheap looking clothes. Sequins on everything or stupid distressed marks :mad:. Jane Norman is just muck tbh.

Never been too fond of River Island either, they have good shoes (too pricey though) but don't find their clothes great at all.

Oh and Next, there's another place I hate, i'm sure it's great if you work in an office or something but other then office wear it's pretty bad, poor quality, over priced ick.

Topshop, Urban Outfitters and American Apparel are the winners for me :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I do not undertstand the appeal of american apparel. Its like an outlet for fame kids. Glittery spandex leotards... why oh why!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

It's Zara and Mango for me. Nice stuff, but I'm short and curvy and nothing in either of them fits me properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

I never both looking in Jane Norman, it just looks cheap and tacky straight away, you can tell from the window that the material is poor quality.

I also hate Pennys. You get what you pay for I suppose but anything I have bought there has been a one wear wonder, wash once and forget about it.

I used to think Next was ok but now I think the material is rubbish and its a false economy to buy there as their clothes dont wash well.

Other shops I never look in anymore: River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge, and all though Swamp type shops.

I find H&M to be rubbish also...

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

Was in Liffey Valley yesterday and got a lovely casual dress in River Island, first thing I bought there in years. Also used to love Topshop but never find anything there anymore. Does anyone else find the jeans in H&M waaay too long, i'm 5 4 and I can't buy them coz even with very high heels they are always too long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I'm going to go with Forever 21 and Abercrombie, both of which are high street brands where I am.

for a more international high street store, I'd pick H&M. Everything looks nice but falls apart in the wash and the staff are beyond obnoxious (even by cheap high street store standards.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Next, River Island and that horrible Fake Diesel shop around the bottom of Grafton street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Definitely Lipsy and River Island -only a gobshyte would fork out an assload of money to look like a knacker. Do love Topshop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

As a lad River Island. Over-priced rubbish. I notice a load of girls love it. But it's all really dark and emo. Don't like the style and a lot of my m8'z hate it too. The girls bags are massive, absurd and look tacky.... The jeans and vest-tops, shirts etc etc are as plain as they come. A lot of things come with holes in them too... Shocking fashion.

You can tell a girl who shops in River Island a mile away. You can see the bag coming!....

Most of the girls I talk to like it for bags and shoes... I don't see it to be honest. It doesn't look nice in my eyes and a lot of other lads eyes... But then again you dress for yourself... Or do you :cool: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Osu wrote: »

Most of the girls I talk to like it for bags and shoes... I don't see it to be honest. It doesn't look nice in my eyes and a lot of other lads eyes... But then again you dress for yourself... Or do you :cool: :D

I find some of the leather bags from River Island lovely tbh but everything else in the shop is just awful. The clothes are so so tacky and the shoes are grossly overpriced. In fact the whole place is vastly overpriced.

Terrible shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

Next. awful awful shop and they never seem to have anything nice in there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Jane Norman- I think the fabrics are cheap and the sizes are horrendous, have never bought one thing, i'm a size 12 and sometimes the size 16's don't even fit- the cuts are also horrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bershka - the clothes are cut for anorexics. I'm a size 12 and I struggle to find stuff that fits me there.

• Osu wrote: »
    As a lad River Island. Over-priced rubbish. I notice a load of girls love it. But it's all really dark and emo. Don't like the style and a lot of my m8'z hate it too. The girls bags are massive, absurd and look tacky.... The jeans and vest-tops, shirts etc etc are as plain as they come. A lot of things come with holes in them too... Shocking fashion.

You can tell a girl who shops in River Island a mile away. You can see the bag coming!....

That's weird cos I'd say the ONLY nice things in RI are the accessories, especially the bags. I haven't been in in a while but they're usually quite lovely and classic looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

Pick one store that you would like to rid the world of. Do you think H n M clothes look like Fame on acid? Do you think River Island just do too damn many diamantes or do you hate Topshop because it's created an army of alternative clones?

My vote goes for Jane Norman. Absolutely despise their cheap materials, tacky patterns awful shimmery diamondy stuff.

You?

I work as a personal shopper and...well, can add one extra thing: Jane Norman sizes. Try to squeze anybody into their size 8 dress :-) It is a brand for very young girls and their style reflects it well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

Bershka - the clothes are cut for anorexics. I'm a size 12 and I struggle to find stuff that fits me there.

:-) so true

And what about lingerie? La Senza for example? Colours...and sizes... Can't spend money there even if I wanted :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

That's true actually, I find the sizes completely arseways in LaSenza and the gigantor extra super puffed up mega cleavage bras aren't nice at all... Don't like the quality of the material either.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I'm shocked at the the JN haters! It's my favourite store for getting clothes that actually fit properly, and I find I get the most compliments whenever I wear something I bought there! I do agree it's over-priced though.

I don't understand people's obsession with River Island, all my mates love it, and I don't see the appeal - to me, the clothes looks cheap and tacky, and are way too expensive!

There are also plenty of tacky shops along Henry Street, eg. Sugarbabe, No-Name, Extrovert - but I have bought one or two nice pieces from all of these shops on certain occassions :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

compsys wrote: »
    H&M's clothes fit me perfectly. Maybe you're just two sizes too fat. Cheeky I know, but if you're thinking that their sizes are way smaller compared to Topshop or French Connection for example then you should know that these stores increased the sizes of all their range a few years ago in order to make bigger woman fit into a size 12 or 14 or whatever. I think it's terrible. If women are a size 16, or men a 36 waist then they should know that and not think that they're a healthy weight because they can now magically fit into a topshop 14 or topman 32 waist. Rant over.

Are you for real? Im waist 35-36 and in no way overweight, I workout regularly and am told all the time how healthy I look. Fair enough some people could do with losing some weight to drop a waist / dress size. H & M is designed for skinny small boned Europeans IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Are you for real? Im waist 35-36 and in no way overweight, I workout regularly and am told all the time how healthy I look. Fair enough some people could do with losing some weight to drop a waist / dress size. H & M is designed for skinny small boned Europeans IMO.

I'm skinny and small boned and European (Ireland is part of Europe) and I still hate their clothes. They are poor quality, not much better than Pennys and very odd sizes and cuts. Once I tried on jeans and the waste wider than the hips (no it wasn't maternity wear).

Advertisement