Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog

Options
  • 11-11-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

hi guys had my dog out shooting the other day and something strange happened him just wondering did anyone else come across this. Went out early morning hunting fine stopped midmorning for a tea break for approx 35 minutes. put dog in trailer and restarted in new location. uppon restart about 5 min. in the dog went down on front left leg and tried twice to right himself. He was walking slowly after this and looked like he came over weak. Carried back to trailer brought to vet immediatly and got checked over and found nothing.
    any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

hi guys had my dog out shooting the other day and something strange happened him just wondering did anyone else come across this. Went out early morning hunting fine stopped midmorning for a tea break for approx 35 minutes. put dog in trailer and restarted in new location. uppon restart about 5 min. in the dog went down on front left leg and tried twice to right himself. He was walking slowly after this and looked like he came over weak. Carried back to trailer brought to vet immediatly and got checked over and found nothing.
    any help appreciated
    how much have you been hunting your dog?

whats the breed and size of the olegs?

honsestly how much exercise and running has it got pre season?

what cover was the dog hunting?

the reason why im asking you these questions is to try and see why that could happen.

my setter was ran every single day for 2 months before the start of this season and still after the fourth day she literally couldnt walk and she was as fit as fit could be.

had her out again on sunday working heavey cover in bog whcih meant a lot of jumping instead of running and at luch time she got into the back of the car. i took her out 15 minutes later and she couldnt walk. her front legs had gone from underneath her. i checked for throns etc but it was just exaustion and nothing else. remembeer if you walk 5 miles the dog will run about 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

any help appreciated

IM not a vet but he may have suffered an episode of hunting dog hypoglycemia-this link explains it better, some guys carry chocolate in their pocket to combat this, ive heard of cases of it before but never seen it.

http://www.gsdhelp.info/blood/hypoglycemia.html

but as stevoman says if your dog is not fit and has been lazing around all summer then its quite possible that it just had the spirit to hunt but not the stamina, a dog has to be brought to its peak fitness pre season, if your dog is a spaniel he may have overheated at this time of the year cos they run better with water on their back..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

hi in anser to your questions hes a 4 year old springer spaniel he is a good hunter in and out of cover all the time as a result hes pritty hard on himself. At the time we were hunting heavy wet cver with pritty soggy ditches but as i say it was within 5 mins, of stating to hunt after a break. he just came out of the ditch stammering i guess all wet and very down and out. looked like he was scared too. thought initially he got a dart from a fencer but i ruled that out as none in facinity oh and as for fitness he gets plenty of walks but does anything prepare them for the shooting season??

hi in anser to your questions hes a 4 year old springer spaniel he is a good hunter in and out of cover all the time as a result hes pritty hard on himself. At the time we were hunting heavy wet cver with pritty soggy ditches but as i say it was within 5 mins, of stating to hunt after a break. he just came out of the ditch stammering i guess all wet and very down and out. looked like he was scared too. thought initially he got a dart from a fencer but i ruled that out as none in facinity oh and as for fitness he gets plenty of walks but does anything prepare them for the shooting season??

hows his form since,is he back to his old self?..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

ye hes in great form came good in the vets is 100% ever since had him out yesterday for a hour no problem cant understand it.

• Advertisement

ye hes in great form came good in the vets is 100% ever since had him out yesterday for a hour no problem cant understand it.

These episodes can happen with hunting dogs, i remember a dog that i had ready for the start of the the hunting season getting exhausted after thrashing some really heavy cover, this dog had been exercised and been swimming every day and was in good shape for the season, but he suddenly ran outta steam, i rested him for a week and started him again and he never looked back for the rest of the year..keep ane eye on him but chances are you might never see it again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Similar thing happened to my previous dog, one day after hunting he started limping, a week later he leg was swollen, turns out he chipped the tip of his leg bone, the thing ended up going a bit nasty and he wsa never the same again

Advertisement