Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I be less brutal at Fifa 10?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I rarely get a chance to turn on my Xbox 360 but love it when I do get around to it, probably about every two weeks at most and mainly when one of the lads calls over.

I got Fifa 10 and think it's pretty good but the problem is I don't play it often enough to get any good at it. It's clear to me that it if you are good at reading the game that's an advantage cos all of my best moves have come (with Arsenal) by bouncing around a few passes to drag a player out of position and then play it in behind him, where hopefully a runner is heading (how do you send a runner?).

I've read the manual but there's so many options I just know the basics, though I've mastered the lob shot and find that holding down L2 and randomly spinning the right stick makes some slick tricks happen but I've no idea what's gonna happen so I rarely beat a man with it.

So I'm just wondering are there any quick tips that are easy to pick up without investing much time that would make it more enjoyable?

Here's some things I struggle with, which is pretty much everything:

-through balls (find the Y button is very difficult to use well).
    -striker waiting for the ball to come, defender nips in ahead of him.
    -not able to turn well without losing it.
    -rarely able to beat a man.
    -crossing pretty randomly.
    -lose too many defensive headers.
    -free kicks - never scored one.

I reckon if I have a few tips to try out and start seeing results, I'll enjoy it more and play it more so thanks for any pointers. I guess I'm just looking for the most enjoyable game that doesn't require much of an investment of time, so if that game is Pro Evo, I'd be happy to buy that instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I don't claim to be a God...or even that good...but can hopefully help with some of your issues.

To send a runner, hit LB (L1), you'll see them start a run with their hand out.

Lobbed Through Balls can be quite handy and sometimes more effective than a simple through ball. Hit LB and Y.

For the striker issue, once it switches control you need to move him towards the ball. You can cancel the AI with the two triggers or just hold the direction stick towards the ball.

Turning is still difficult at times, players still unable to turn at pace. Usually better to hit LT (L2) and turn to the side / 45 degree angle. Cutting back on yourself usually loses the ball.

With skill moves, you can load up a practice match from the Arena (instead of pressing "Start", hit "Back" - select options with few defenders). Can work out a couple of the skill moves so that you can use them consistenly. The action changes depending on which way your player is running so just be wary of that.

As the commentary says "it is a passing game" so often you're better off passing and moving (LB + Pass) rather than trying to turn every defender inside out. Just be careful you don't set too many players off on runs because if you lose the ball, they're going the wrong way.

Haven't quite cracked headers or free kicks as yet so going to quit while I'm somewhat ahead. Finesse shot / 1v1s is also something that causes me problems - psyching myself out at times at this stage! Can't cope with the pressure of Manager Mode :D

Finally, it's interesting how your questions are related to the attacking side of the game - most people are struggling with defence (// the AI is struggling in their defence ;) ).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Good man thanks, I'll defo try out that LB move to send a player on a run idea and try to bring the attacker towards the ball manually more.

Played 2 games with a mate tonight and I noticed the Y + LB through ball is much more useful than a simple through ball - scored a nice cracker that way.

Also noticed that tapping the right stick in the direction the player is running seems to knock the ball on a bit and so the player runs faster as they are not dribbling tightly - a la Zinedine Kilbane in full flight if you will. That move worked a treat for wingers knocking the ball beyond the fullback and I got more space that way than ever before.

I'm not exactly great at defending (particularly defensive headers which I mostly lose), but I do generally time a last ditch slide tackle well so have gotten away with living on the edge a few times.

Just bumping in case anyone has any tips...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

i find that if you have your striker alone with the ball up top and in need of support, just hold RT and relase the direction buttons from him to shield the ball and wait for other players to support, works very well with strong strikers like ibra and drogba and if a CB is right up ur arse you can turn him and leave him for dead, also the 1 2 pass works well

Nice one for that leek, will give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    With skill moves, <snip> the action changes depending on which way your player is running so just be wary of that.

Is there any way to have it so this isn't the case? I can do most of the skill moves, but its confusing at times because of the variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Is there any way to have it so this isn't the case? I can do most of the skill moves, but its confusing at times because of the variation.

Unfortunately not as far as I know. Just lots of practice ingame / the practice match (not the arena - less helpful). It is confusing but it's all about practicing the helpful ones until you can do them in your sleep...

I say this as if I know what I'm talking about - but then again, "if you can't do...teach!" :)

🤪

Advertisement