Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which wireless router to get

Options
  • 11-11-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I recently got set up with a 8Mb download Digiweb package.
    I basically have a PC that I want to connect wirelessly to a router to the digiweb modem
    I will be downloading music/movies/software at times.
    I was looking at this router
    Wireless G Router WGR614 (54Mbps)
    Would this be sufficient or would I better of getting this one
    Wireless N-150 Router WGR614 (150Mbps)

regards downloading purposes....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I have the Netgear WGR 54mbs and it's pretty good. Never have any problems with it. You wouldn't need the 150 unless you planned on streaming high definition internally. Ie form one PC to another, so if it's more expensive then I'd go with the 54.

Recommended it to a friend and we found it on EBay for €33 inc free delivery from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

We basically I need to be able to watch youtube etc plus download movies/music
    I will be connecting my PC wirlessly to it and laptop also.
    The pc will be in the room beside the router….

Well then if you only have 8Mbps download and you're not streaming internally there's no point in having 150Mbps across the router. Unless you plan on upgrading to UPC's 100Mbps broadband in August 2010.

Is there much difference in the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Downloading 54 is more than enough. I used to get a poor 11mb on my wireless but it was still more than the broadband needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

i havnt checked the prices yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

NothingMan wrote: »
    I have the Netgear WGR 54mbs and it's pretty good. Never have any problems with it. You wouldn't need the 150 unless you planned on streaming high definition internally. Ie form one PC to another, so if it's more expensive then I'd go with the 54.

Recommended it to a friend and we found it on EBay for €33 inc free delivery from Germany.

Hi would you have a link to the ebay seller, please

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi would you have a link to the ebay seller, please

Firewalled in work, but will try and find it later. But I can see on the iPhone there's a buy it now option for €20.36 + €16.92 Delivery. That's pretty cheap. Seller is "trusted_goods" based in Twickenham.

Advertisement