Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you behave in this instance (Follow on from Motorway thread)

• 11-11-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

So here is the scenario and I would like to hear people's opinions on how you act when presented with this.

Let's say you are driving along on a normal national route with one lane in each direction.

Up ahead on your side there is 3kms of a climbing/slow lane / overtaking lane.

You are in the overtaking lane(right lane) passing cars travelling slower than you. There is a sign saying Slow Lane ends in 300mtrs. Now its the slow lane whose lane is ending not the overtaking lane technically.

So alike the motorway thread WHO has right of way?(I.Y.O)

(1) Those in the right lane because anybody encroaching in their lane cannot have right of way?

(2) Those in the left lane because of the overtaking lane rule(see ROTR)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Me and 3rd gear in the overtaking lane :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have no idea if this is legally correct, but when the slow lane comes to an end and there is a slow car in that lane ahead of me that I can't safely overtake any more without forcing the other car to either slow down or end up driving in the hard shoulder, then I slow down enough to let it merge safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

peasant wrote: »
    I have no idea if this is legally correct, but when the slow lane comes to an end and there is a slow car in that lane ahead of me that I can't safely overtake any more without forcing the other car to either slow down or end up driving in the hard shoulder, then I slow down enough to let it merge safely.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭AcePuppetMaster

Interesting one. Technically I would assume that the people have right of way in the right lane and vice versa. (I'm not being smart just technical), therefore if the people from ANY lane wish to change lanes (be it left to right or right to left) then they MUST give way to those already in the lane into which they wish to change into.

Phew. Ok, now the human element, If I saw that someone was running out of road in the left lane, I'd be considerate if possible, I'd speed up to overtake more quickly allowing them time to get in behind me if the speed difference was a lot, if not and they were ahead of me then I'd slow down and let them out in front of me.

Does this make sense or am I just confusing you? Hope it helps.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I panic, mess my trousers, turn on my foglights, then my full beams, floor it, and if neccessary perform an emergency stop.

But on a more serious note, I use a bit of common sense....

Car in front of me with nowhere to go at the end of the slow lane.... let him in.

If I can get in front of safely, drive on normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Is it just me or is it not always the slow lane that 'ends'.
    Iirc there a one or two on strecth of n25 that end from the overtaking lane(arrow to join slow side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it just me or is it not always the slow lane that 'ends'.
    Iirc there a one or two on strecth of n25 that end from the overtaking lane(arrow to join slow side)

New road designs have it where the overtaking will now end. Take the 2:1 pilot scheme on the N20 Cork to Limerick.

The old national routes still have the climbing lane type of slow lane which will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

peasant wrote: »

+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Common sense?

Oh no wait, this is Ireland....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd say the perfect outcome would be for people to decide to merge in turn - zipper style.

If I were going considerably faster than the other driver, I'd try and make it past them. If I was only a little faster, I'd ease off and let them ahead of me.

I would presume that I have the right of way if push came to shove as usually the painted island is in the left lane when the lanes merge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The lines on the road demark lanes. People merging if crossing a line need to observe normal lane changing discipline, ie you can't barge into another lane if there is a car already in it. Or in other words those not changing lanes have right of way.

Common sense by all is required. This would probably mean the driver in the outside lane would need to match their speed to the merging lane to allow everyone to merge safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

The person in the lne that isn't suddenly ending has right of way.

The people in the left lane have plenty of notice of their lane ending, so should be merged well in advance.

If there is a line of traffic in each lane, then it "zippers"; every second car lets a car out, so that neither lane is overly slowed (car from right goes, then left, then right, then left, and so on), the same as in most other countries, and which I believe is part of the rules of the road in Germany for entering the autobahn.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

give way to traffic on your right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I panic, mess my trousers, turn on my foglights, then my full beams, floor it, and if neccessary perform an emergency stop.

Sounds like a good night out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it just me or is it not always the slow lane that 'ends'
    There are a couple of hill climbs on the N2/A5 (Monaghan/Tyrone - northbound) where the right hand lane comes to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

The first time I encountered the climbing lane just before Mitchelstown on the old N8 (Dublin side), there were two articulated trucks close together in the left lane and I was passing them in the right lane. Going around a right hand curve the climbing lane arrangement suddenly (and quite unexpectedly) ended, and the two artics moved abruptly out forcing me across the double white lines onto the other side of the road on the curve :eek: Thanks be to Jaysus nothing was coming the other way around the curve at the time. The warning sign for the end of lanes was allegedly at the time face down in a ditch, so I was told after :rolleyes:

Advertisement