Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sporting Fingal v Bray Wanderers

• 11-11-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭

Sporting Fingal v Bray Wanderers Playoff. (Two legs)

Games to be played this Friday 13/11/09. 7.45 kick off (Morton stadium, Santry)

and the following monday 16/11/09 in Bray

Hopefully this combined with our FAI cup final on the 22/11/09 in Tallaght against Sligo will prove to be the start of something big for our club.

I invite all who would be interested to come along to Morton to see us hopefully get one step closer to top flight football and again follow us to Bray for the return leg there on the monday.

Should be a great tie and you can pay in at the gate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm looking forward to these games, especially after beating Bray 4-2 recently. Hopefully this time Fingal won't concede 2 goals. :D

Looks like it won't be great weather for the games, so anyone attending should wrap up well.

Busy sporting weekend ahead.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

C'mon Bray :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on Bray.

The OH is from Bray, so I hope the do very well in this game.

Des wrote: »
    The OH is from Bray, so I hope the do very well in this game.

But, being realistic ... do you think they'll do well?

Whatever about Shels last night, I think against Bray it would have been easy enough (for either team).

Paulw wrote: »
    But, being realistic ... do you think they'll do well?

Whatever about Shels last night, I think against Bray it would have been easy enough (for either team).
    We can always hope :o

Des, from a Shels point of view, would you rather Fingal win, so that you have a better chance of promotion next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Fingal will murder Bray over two legs... unfortunately :(

Bray away is some trip! But I doubt they'll do anything in the Playoffs. Reckon the AGG score will have a difference of 4 or 5 goals, in favour of Franchise.

Bray away is some trip! But I doubt they'll do anything in the Playoffs. Reckon the AGG score will have a difference of 4 or 5 goals, in favour of Franchise.

Have to agree there. I think the goals will flood in, scored by Fingal. I can see Conan Byrne getting a few, and maybe get him the Golden Boot. He's not far off now, I think it's 2-3 goals only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to agree there. I think the goals will flood in, scored by Fingal. I can see Conan Byrne getting a few, and maybe get him the Golden Boot. He's not far off now, I think it's 2-3 goals only.

Yup, I may go too these two games.

Himself and Shaun Williams both look like quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

We can always hope :o

Des, from a Shels point of view, would you rather Fingal win, so that you have a better chance of promotion next year?

Was just going to ask the same. Come on Des you know you want us to win really. Deep down inside you have a beautiful and growing affection for our club, which is built on a blossoming respect for what our club is trying to achieve.

I pushed it too far didnt I :o

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I can answer straight off and say I'd prefer if Fingal went up. My love for Shels will outweigh my hate for Fingal by miles and miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Come on Fingal! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Where are all the fungus fans growing out of?

Come on Bray, it won't be the same league without a trip to the windiest ground in Ireland.

Where are all the fungus fans growing out of?
    Spores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I hope the players don't go into the game with the same attitude. A draw at Morton caused by over confidence and suddenly it doesn't look so straight forward.

Come on Fingal!

dsmythy wrote: »
    I hope the players don't go into the game with the same attitude. A draw at Morton caused by over confidence and suddenly it doesn't look so straight forward.

They're taking it very serious. They are focused on the task in hand (unlike me, who is looking towards the cup).

I think the plan is to rack up as much as possible at home. So many games in a short space of time that have to be played in such a short space of time. If they can build up a good home score difference, then I guess Liam may rest a few key players for the Cup final.

Top division football will mean a lot to Liam and the club, so that will be a high priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Was it Jake Kelly who was s/o against Drogs. Will he be banned for this game on Fri?

Bray just need to pray that Foran and McCabe are back because they look awful without them. Don't rate Dave Mulcahy as a cb either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Come onnnnnnnnn Fingal. Shels are all I care about and I'd much rather play Bray next year.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Come onnnnnnnnn Fingal. Shels are all I care about and I'd much rather play Bray next year.

Would make more sense for shels fans to want us to go up alright.

I wonder, will this match be under threat from the weather. The second half of the day is to get really bad, with high winds and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Never thought I would want to see Bray and UCD in the Premier again, but here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Shaun Williams might regret making comments in the Indo interview ...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/williams-wants-out-of-pub-league-1941055.html
    "Obviously it would be heartbreaking to get this far and to be pegged back for another year, it'd be terrible.
    The First Division is like a pub league compared to the Premier Division.

If Fingal lose will that make him a pub league standard player.

Fingal should walk it ... but a lot of people thought the same last Saturday ;):p

I wonder, will this match be under threat from the weather. The second half of the day is to get really bad, with high winds and rain.

I'd be more worried about the Monday game, especially with continued rain for the weekend. Tonight should be fine. The pitch in Morton Stadium tends to drain very well.

I'd be more worried about the Monday game, especially with continued rain for the weekend. Tonight should be fine. The pitch in Morton Stadium tends to drain very well.

Im also thinking of the conditions that would hinder any good football to be played.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Shaun Williams might regret making comments in the Indo interview ...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/williams-wants-out-of-pub-league-1941055.html

If Fingal lose will that make him a pub league standard player.

Fingal should walk it ... but a lot of people thought the same last Saturday ;):p

You mean the athlone game. We had our youth team out, complimented with a few reserves and two first team players who came of early in order to rest them. The result was not a true reflection of our team.

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Ah come on, just because Athlone actually won and scored a few goals?? :D

Remember, Fingal had 7 of the U20 squad out that night, and only 2-3 first team players, who came off early enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd fancy Sporting Fingal obviously, but after seeing Bray a couple of times this year, I wouldn't put money on it.

If they come out with the right mind set, they are one of, if not the best pure footballing teams in the country.
    Pity they couldn't get more of a mix in their team of youth and experience.

Should be cracking games anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Just hope the date has nothing to do with it :eek:

This is on TG4 for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

1-0 Fingal. Goal-line scramble, eventually put in. OG by the looks of it.

Terrible conditions this match is being played in. Pitch looks barely playable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

1-0 Fingal. Goal-line scramble, eventually put in. OG by the looks of it.

Terrible conditions this match is being played in. Pitch looks barely playable.

SF will be gutted if it gets abandoned now. Be surprised if it finishes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Horrible conditions for a game but would be surprised if it was abandoned now given they are not that much worse than at the start

Conditions making a mockery of trying to play ball

Tis almost a hybrid of water-polo and football being played out there.

Great strike off the bar there.

Fair play to the nutterssupporters who turned up.:)

Didn't realise that Fine Gael had such a strong soccer team :p

2-0 now. Conan Byrne. Good goal, considering the conditions.

2-0 Ball into the box unmarker at the back post and a decent strike left the keeper with little chance.

The first goal was a real masterpiece of the foul weather goal mouth scramble genre with the Bray defender clearing the corner off the line and taking three deflections [Fingal forward(Casey), other Bray defender and Bray keeper] before trickling across the line.

Bray very unlucky not to get a goal there. First a shot off the bar and the rebound just evades the incoming forward, and the shot that does come in is saved excellently by Quigley.

• Advertisement

Bray had a good chance there with a tasty strike from distance off the bar and then another good striker on the rebound but the Fingal keeper making a decent save on the follow up.

FFS Bray, score!

Bray go close again with a bullet strike off the bar.

Fingal palying a risky enough game since the second goal sitting back very deep.

Weird there - looked like the keeper was at fault and the Fingal player didnt know anything about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Farce of a game.

• Advertisement

2-0 FT - A war of attrition in a sense that both sides were battling the conditions and pitch throughout. 2-0 scoreline probably a bit unfair on Bray as they had chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

considering how poor we were in the Semi and then in the second half on tuesday night against the drogs the performance of the lads tonight was great.

Gutted that we didnt score.

I really think we can give it a good go on monday evening. Don't fancy trying to get out of the first next season.

Tippex wrote: »
    considering how poor we were in the Semi and then in the second half on tuesday night against the drogs the performance of the lads tonight was great.

I really think we can give it a good go on monday evening.

I think the conditions suited Bray more than Fingal. If the pitch is even half decent on Monday, I think that Fingal will rack up a few more goals.

Gutted that we didnt score.

I really think we can give it a good go on monday evening. Don't fancy trying to get out of the first next season.

Yous had plenty of chances alright. On another night that game would have finished 2-2. Thank god for us that wasnt the case.
    The conditions made the match a more even contest. We couldnt play the football we wanted to. I hope the weather doesnt play a part in the Bray home match.

Roll on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Bray were very unlucky , and deserved a draw or even a goal to take to Bray on monday. The conditions didnt help either team and im relieved that we finished 2 up ahead of the second leg. If Bray can get a goal back early in the second leg then they still have a chance but i think Fingal will have things boxed off and either draw or win by another 2 goals on monday.
    Bray must take some credit for making our keeper the man of the match.

. Don't fancy trying to get out of the first next season.

it'll be a very bad division, imo, with Bray and Shels the most sttractive teams, from a player persepctive, playing there. Simply because Shels are in Dublin, and, well, so is Bray :p

Derry will be like Shels in 07, higher-mid table at best.

Waterford will probably be strong, but it's between Shels and Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I hope you're right Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If Derry are reformed as a new debtfree club, will they not have a bigger budget than us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Des wrote: »
    it'll be a very bad division
    So will the Prem.

At least I won't have to watch the likes of UCD and Finglas twice next season.

Less of the Finglas slagging there mate :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement