Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz SIM card

Options
  • 11-11-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am wondering is it easy/cheap to get an Oz Sim card for my Irish phone for the two months I will be there?

I have a regular o2 bill phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

They are available in practically every shop in the country. Cost is very low e.g $2 for Vodafone in woolworths/dick smiths (tesco/dixons australian equivalents).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah really cheap - we also do a thing called 'caps' over here

not like home where it is cheaper to ring at night or something

but you pay $49 (or $44 if you but it from woolworths(like tesco)) and you receive $350 worth of calls for one month

and texts (which I'm guessing you'll mainly use) are $.25c a text to international

... works out pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Make sure your irish phone is unlocked first, or else it won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mellor, what do you mean by 'locked'. Would most mobiles be already locked or can you do something with it b4 u leave.
    Im thinking more about getting a second mobile while im in aus...what are the best deals??
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kensingtondell

Mellor, what do you mean by 'locked'. Would most mobiles be already locked or can you do something with it b4 u leave.

Most mobiles are locked to the network company you buy your phone from. o2,Vodafone,meteor,3...

Simply check by getting another sim card and insert it into your phone to see is it locked or unlocked. If locked, ring your phone company to see can they send you unlocking code. If they can't, there are loads of unlocking phones shops around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

hussey wrote: »
    Yeah really cheap - we also do a thing called 'caps' over here

not like home where it is cheaper to ring at night or something

but you pay $49 (or $44 if you but it from woolworths(like tesco)) and you receive $350 worth of calls for one month

and texts (which I'm guessing you'll mainly use) are $.25c a text to international

... works out pretty cheap

do all networks do this? which seems to be the best network for irish people looking for a pay as you go option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

lg123 wrote: »
    do all networks do this? which seems to be the best network for irish people looking for a pay as you go option?

Yeah they all do this
    I find they are all the same apart from coverage, vodafone have bad coverage outside big cities

telstra have the best coverage, but are like the old telecom eireann.
    If I was to pick one I would go for optus as they have good coverage.

I'm on vodaphone and since in sydney have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm on vodafone and can't complain. Optus get good reports too.

A basic phone will cost you 49-69 dollars. Pretty basic, but will get the job done.

Advertisement