Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on heating new room

• 11-11-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi im looking to get some advice on heating a new livingroom/diningroom we are adding on to our kitchen.The room will be 400sq ft we are putting in 2 1200 radators do you think this will be enough to keep it cosy.We would like to put in a fire ie gas/elec but cant find a really nice elec one and most gas ones need a flu which is working out very expensive.Also the build cost is working out about 59euro per sq foot is that about right do you think.Iv been amazed how hard is has been to get a builder to quote for the job we have a floor plan but not drawings for roof etc its a very simple L shape room.Any ideas for savings or tips on the build would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

What do the drawings say about insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling. What area of glass will you have and what direction NSEW will it be facing.

Double or single rads?

Would be a great space for a standalone pellet burner.
    http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&cr=countryIE&um=1&sa=1&q=pellet+stove&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&start=0

Without being disparaging about the build quality that can be achieved in a €59 sq ft extension it is unlikely you are going to be getting top end insulation or windows/doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Sorry it will be 2 double rads one is 1000 and other is 1200. the wall can be either pumped beed insulation or a board type he has given me the choice. roof will be 300mm insulation also.The windows are Senator A rated and there will be two corner windows 1500mmx2 each side of extension ie 10 feet of glass in each corner + 2 french doors 1800mm each the build faces south so one side will get morning sun and full sun mid day and evening sun to the other side.Hope this makes some sence any advice would be great

Firstly the price of 59 sq ft seems very good. I would go for the pumped insultation unless you are in an exposed site. 300mm would be a minimum.

Can you do a rough sketch in paintbrush of the layout. attach that to the post. Need to see the layout as position of rads will be very important or else you are going to get cold spots especially with that much glass. An A rated window sounds good until you compare it to a standard insultated wall. The wall will perform at least 6 or 7 times better at keeping in the heat.

Remember south facing is great in spring/autumn sunny days with say a standard window. When you have a lot of glass the room can overheat and especially so in summer. Then on the gloomy days (a lot of those recently) you will have zero solar gain and maximum heat loss through the doors especially.

Sorry i cant upload the pic it keeps saying its to big not sure why its just a simple picture with out line of build.But its an L shape going out 22ftx14ft and the L at the bottom is 22ft wide coming back in 11ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

wexford12 wrote: »
    Sorry i cant upload the pic it keeps saying its to big not sure why its just a simple picture with out line of build.But its an L shape going out 22ftx14ft and the L at the bottom is 22ft wide coming back in 11ft
    This might help regarding the resizing of images to be uploaded.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that i have it down to 204kb but sill to big lol i cant make it any smaller i dont think

If you are using paintbrush save as jpeg and NOT bmp.

Advertisement