Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Query

• 11-11-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I have a question about wiring an immersion. At present there is a hot water tank with 2 elements however only the top element is wired at present to an APT timer. If i wanted to wire the bottom element what would be the best way to do this.
    Option 1 - Put a bath/sink immersion switch on wall beside APT timer
    Option 2 - Remove APT timer and just have a Hortsmann E7 timer.

Note there is no night time meter in Apatment so would there be anypoint in having an E7 timer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Prob no point to the Horstmann without nightsaver.Obviously for a single 20amp supply you need 'changeover'(they can't run simultaneously).
    If using electric water heating 'only' you should get nightsaver(it's a free install afaik)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

davelerave wrote: »
    If using electric water heating 'only' you should get nightsaver(it's a free install afaik)

Correct - they do charge if you want to change back tho but chances are you wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Simply break the phase after the on/off switch through the APT timer, and mount it adjacent or below the immersion switch. Loop back to the sink/bath module on the immersion switch. If its newer, it will be outside the hotpress so you'll need to chase/fit a drylining box where appropriate.

Nightsaver is free, and it will be fitted within a few days, straight swap for the existing meter. No fee, but you will get walloped if you revert to standard tarriff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 Rev.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Of course I forgot to remind him that he'll have to leave said switch on, or his clock will go out of whack!!!

Tis a simple matter to use the timeswitch itself to control the immersion anyway, if he needs to boost it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

I would bring feed to apt timer first ,preferably.

Advertisement