Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Co.Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

irish1967 wrote: »

:eek:

Hmmmmm. A very big can of worms.... what I want to know is... when are they going to adopt the € in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hmmmmm. A very big can of worms.... what I want to know is... when are they going to adopt the € in NI?

Would be great for the All Island economy we hear so much about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

What a load of rubbish this article is!

Bridgend is effectively a suburb of Derry and has kept its name.

"plans to build 5,000 new homes on the northern side of the border". I drive along Buncrana Road every week and there is no construction activity anywhere: there will be a long wait for the 5,000 houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

So they build the houses on the northern side with the shops etc on the Donegal side. That's a well thought out plan alright. 5,000 more households travelling into Sainsburys and Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

there is a retail park there already where desmonds yard is , afink there is a bridal place and a new bargin store opened, so my girlfreind tells me, any excuse to go shopping!

On another note , slightly off topic, one shop i'll not name it in killea as in the republic of ireland asks you are you paying sterling or euro every time you go to the till, extremly annoying, and they "tut" when you say euro cos 9 times out of 10 they have it already in the till as sterling, don't think it would last long on the other side of the border asking the same question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

there is a retail park there already where desmonds yard is , afink there is a bridal place and a new bargin store opened, so my girlfreind tells me, any excuse to go shopping!

On another note , slightly off topic, one shop i'll not name it in killea as in the republic of ireland asks you are you paying sterling or euro every time you go to the till, extremly annoying, and they "tut" when you say euro cos 9 times out of 10 they have it already in the till as sterling, don't think it would last long on the other side of the border asking the same question!

I know which shop you mean.:mad:

It pisses me off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Ha Ha Ha
    A few months ago i was travelling to Derry every day and used to stop in that shop for the paper etc every morning. One particular morning i wasn't in the best mood (usual for me in the morning) and the girl asked me "euro or sterling" i looked up and looked around me and said "what country am i in". It didn't go down too well, the rest for that week i went into Kernans:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Probably a good financial development proposition behind this, and perhaps the developers are looking at a long term view. In the Eighties who would have contemplated retail parks with UK names in Letterkenny.

Its also quite likely that this is the best side of Derry to get land to build on, including costings, people don't seem to remember a year or two ago developers were all over east Donegal to build homes for commuters to Derry. Yes Sterling difference was a factor but I'd say this development is looking at the long term view.

From a Donegal perspectus I am not sure why Donegal Co Co and the Government are so keen to actually promote this Derry - Letterkenny Corridor, the Derry Airport etc when really they should be looking at Letterkenny's Gateway Status being worthy in its own right.

Or maybe in light of the Donegal Lisbon Vote they are landgrabbing before we are made an independent state. I see dissassociated press articles sheding light

This is obviously someone looking for more land to develop for the Derry potential as has been the case for sometime here.

Though I wonder should we give them a straight swap - Lifford for Derry, with St Johnston available as a secondary negotioning position. It was the deal in the 20's and now with the offer of muffler and smashey as rotating Mayor and deputy Mayor surely its tempting! Perhaps a King of Lifford is feasible just like Tory Island. We'll throw Fishing rights on Raphoes Streets in a Flood as trade off for moving Derry Wimmin all to the New Lifford area.

Yes behold King Muffler, Moderator of All Derry Wimmen.

"Blanket Ban on speaking on Day one appears fruitless" bound to be headline on first day of the new Lifford News

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭digital pimp

the UK will never convert to €uro

theyre better off without it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

the UK will never convert to €uro

theyre better off without it

Many are saying that G.Browns weakling of Sterling is the first step on the road to the Euro, it may come to a point were they will say they have no choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement