Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting stance over in After Hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Such is life, such is after hours.

There is not much point trying to fight it. Turn the other cheek...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Let the children have their fun. I couldn't even be bothered reading it, I'm sure there is nothing new there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Dont take offence mate. Just a load of jumped up little kids with nothing better to do. It smacks of insecurity if you ask me. I once seen a thread there where people were making fun of suicide!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, my objection is that some guy passed a comment about Limerick being "comprised of criminals"........in a thread where he accused the mayor of being racist! The irony!

The same guy posted again later, saying that the mayor was probably elected by 878 votes.

I replied saying that yeah, it's a pain when some idiot takes the view that that number of people or less represents a whole city. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Slow day in AH but some of those comment were way OT and out of line.

Kiely was an eejit to make such a statement though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055737275

I like this thread... I say we all storm the dublin thread, about how they're all scumbags up there bla bla and so on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm positively fed up with the Limerick bashing...I've kept quiet about it long enough. Its like some smart alecs see "Limerick...." in a thread title and you can just picture them flexing their fingers, just drooling at the notion of putting the boot in.

Sure, theres a lot of ****ty things about Limerick, (I'm not even from the city, closer to Newcastlewest) but there comes a time when you need to defend it. Have a lot of good memories of college, and going drinking in the city for the first time, back in the 90s, so even though I might be 20 miles away, I still see it as "my" city. There was a thread here a while back about 10 things you like about Limerick, perhaps the whiny Limerick bashers would be advised to have a gander at that before they form their ignorant, mis-informed, small-minded ramblings.

Sorry for rant but I'm in foul humour over this (plus a head cold doesnt help) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, my objection is that some guy passed a comment about Limerick being "comprised of criminals"........in a thread where he accused the mayor of being racist! The irony!

The same guy posted again later, saying that the mayor was probably elected by 878 votes.

I replied saying that yeah, it's a pain when some idiot takes the view that that number of people or less represents a whole city. :D

unfortunatly limerick relly is a racist city. scumbags do run this place and morons think its funny to talk like scumbags. imo everyone in this city is to blame for this being a crap hole

just read the rest of the thjread. im from limerick and defend it to the ground but the l9merick people are as bad as the city.

SCUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

I think Limerick having a racist ****-stirrer for a mayor is far more damaging to its reputation than a bunch of people making sneery comments on an internet message board.

(BTW, starting a thread like this is as petty and childish as anything written in the After Hours thread)

fcussen wrote: »
    (BTW, starting a thread like this is as petty and childish as anything written in the After Hours thread)

How so ? Someone passed a racist and slanderous remark and the mod (initially) backed them up (but to be fair has since discussed the matter fairly via PM and admitted that he would keep and eye on things like that and view comments like that in a different light)

That's COMPLETELY different to me starting a thread highlighting that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Don't ever make the mistake of trying to hold a rational or logical debate within the skewed Realm that is After Hours.

- There's no talking to them - its like in one ear and out your Mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

How so ? Someone passed a racist and slanderous remark and the mod (initially) backed them up (but to be fair has since discussed the matter fairly via PM and admitted that he would keep and eye on things like that and view comments like that in a different light)

That's COMPLETELY different to me starting a thread highlighting that !

You don't see starting a thread on the topic of "someone had something bad to say about my poor little pisshole, call the internet cops" as being a bit thin-skinned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Apparently slandering Limerick is all the rage over there again..... :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055736698
    I read the first page, remembered I was reading a thread from After Hours and then exited it.

If I wanted replies and stupid jokes that have been used a 1000 times before
    such as
    Originally Posted by stovelid View Post
    Irish people are EU nationals.

So if you deported every unemployed EU national in Limerick, the place would be empty.
    Which would be a really good start actually. ''

Then after hours is definitely the place to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Harpy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055737275

I like this thread... I say we all storm the dublin thread, about how they're all scumbags up there bla bla and so on..

Well today it's Limerick, tomorrow it's Dublin. As a Dub I can tell you that at one point, AH was particularly bad for Dubliners. Right now, thanks to MacCarthy-Dundon and Keane-Copoly (or whoever and however you spell them, who cares :rolleyes:)) it's the turn of Limerick.

Don't be so sensitive to it and remember that it's AH. As has been said already, don't expect much sense, just loads of keyboard warriors and attention-seeking going on in there with the occasional brilliant awe-inspiring thread that makes the place worthwhile :)

fcussen wrote: »
    You don't see starting a thread on the topic of "someone had something bad to say about my poor little pisshole, call the internet cops" as being a bit thin-skinned?

I made no reference to any "pisshole"; I was talking about my city and its many fine people.

And in addition, they slandered the people, writing them all off as criminals, etc......the fact that it's complete bull**** is irrelevant, because if someone posted "everyone from Poland is a criminal / dole-sponger / drug addict / alcoholic", it would be pulled up - and rightly so - as racist and unacceptable.

But you're saying that posting "everyone from Limerick is a criminal" is OK, though ? Ah sure, it's only Limerick people.....who cares...... :rolleyes:

I don't think so.

Labelling and insulting people because of where they're from is racist.
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well today yesterday it's Limerick, tomorrow today it's Dublin. As a Dub I can tell you that at one point, AH was particularly bad for Dubliners. Right now, Previously thanks to MacCarthy-Dundon and Keane-Copoly (or whoever and however you spell them, who cares :rolleyes:)) it's was the turn of Limerick.

FYP ;)

But to be fair, I can't let it pass without acknowledging that you explicitly specified the tiny minority of scum by name, rather than tarring us all.....so thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hi.
    Just posting here as an AH mod.

I'm not going to try to claim for one minute that we don't get some idiotic posts in AH. We do.
    Christ. You should see the reported posts forum.
    I've been away for a few days and have over 100 e-mail notifications from that forum.

The thing is, while a large percentage of those posts may be racist, the AH users do not discriminate when it comes to our own country.

I'm from Kildare. It's a fairly low profile county. Nothing majorly newsowrthy happens here. I'm also close enough to Dublin to know what happens there though.

Here's the thing. People are idiots.
    someone fro Dublin will take the piss out of someone from Cork. They most likely have never been to Cork, but they'll form a dumb opinion and stick with it.

Limerick, Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Antrim and Cork have the largest cities in the country.
    In large cities, you have more gang related crime than in the likes of Kildare or Athlone or any of the lesser populated counties.
    Dumb people from outside those areas are going to believe the tabloid headlines and go with that.

Instead of getting wound up about these adverse comments, all you have to do is take te piss out of their county.

Kildare?
    We all **** horses.

Just don't do it in a personal or nasty way and all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Terry wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just posting here as an AH mod.

I'm not going to try to claim for one minute that we don't get some idiotic posts in AH. We do.
    Christ. You should see the reported posts forum.
    I've been away for a few days and have over 100 e-mail notifications from that forum.

The thing is, while a large percentage of those posts may be racist, the AH users do not discriminate when it comes to our own country.

I'm from Kildare. It's a fairly low profile county. Nothing majorly newsowrthy happens here. I'm also close enough to Dublin to know what happens there though.

Here's the thing. People are idiots.
    someone fro Dublin will take the piss out of someone from Cork. They most likely have never been to Cork, but they'll form a dumb opinion and stick with it.

Limerick, Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Antrim and Cork have the largest cities in the country.
    In large cities, you have more gang related crime than in the likes of Kildare or Athlone or any of the lesser populated counties.
    Dumb people from outside those areas are going to believe the tabloid headlines and go with that.

Instead of getting wound up about these adverse comments, all you have to do is take te piss out of their county.

Kildare?
    We all **** horses.

Just don't do it in a personal or nasty way and all will be fine.

Kildare?? F*@king Kildare???? That county inflicted Ray D'Arcy on the rest of us.
    :mad::mad::mad:

:D

Advertisement