Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Yaris, recommendations for new car?

• 11-11-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Help! i'm looking for a change from my much loved Yaris :).
    I need something smallish, with 5 doors, that is not a penance to use on the motorway.
    Max budget of 3/4k + whatever i get for my 99reg tatty old yaris.
    I'm currently looking at the Suzuki Swift (which I love but they are a little pricey) or a boring Colt.
    Any better ideas or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try selling the yaris yourself. If its in any way decent it should sell ok. Have a look at a fiesta or clio too. Clios are well able for the motorway. Few cars will be as reliable as the yaris though

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ted maul

Thanks, that's great to know about the Clio. I thought it might be a bit tinny for motorways. I'll add it to my short and uninspiring list:)
    I know a the yaris gets a lot of slagging but I've loved mine - fun to drive and no reliability issues at all. The new shape ones are very pricey so I have to look at something else.
    As for selling it myself, it's not something I've tried before but I'll give her a clean and give it a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Seat Ibiza and Skoda Fabia are good small cars as well and let's not forget the Ford Fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

My wife has an 03 fiesta and despite the fact that it is more than realible and all the rest, I don't think they are really built for the motorway. Personally, I would be aiming for a 1.4 but I'm not sure about the other hatchbacks.

I tried the Seat and found it a bit heavy and stodgy but maybe it was just that particular one.
    1.4 would be the max engine size I'd be into. The Swift has a 1.3 and feels very capable. I'd not considered a Fabia so I'll deffo check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

id advise the clio aswell. or else a peugot 206

The seat and skoda are essentially the same car. I'd be surprised if you could get a new swift in your price range. My sister changed from her Clio to one and they are great spec and power wise

EPM wrote: »
    The seat and skoda are essentially the same car. I'd be surprised if you could get a new swift in your price range. My sister changed from her Clio to one and they are great spec and power wise

You are absolutley right, I'd say I'd need to find at least another 1.5k for a Swift. I'm seriously considering it though as it's one of the few that made me feel happy about driving.
    Was it the Swift or the Skoda your sister got?

She's a swift. It's a 1.3 and there's loads the go in it. GLX spec has everything you need. It would be worth spending the extra if you are keeping it long-term. Should be every bit as reliable as a yaris

Good for her, it's hard to feel enthused about any of the other options. The only downside really is the price, even up North they are still about quite dear, though there are some that look good value (I think) [URL=": http://www.ulstertrader.com/Car/Suzuki/Swift/211872.aspx"]: http://www.ulstertrader.com/Car/Suzuki/Swift/211872.aspx[/URL]

VRT of over a grand though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Consider the Daihatsu Sirion/Perodua Myvi/Subaru Justy, all the same car, based on the Yaris and very well built and reliable. Equipment is good and they're ridiculously cheap in the UK. VRT is low as they're low on emissions. 1.0 or 1.3 VVT-i Toyota engines.

Advertisement