Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on next build

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Well its upgrade time again and wanted a second opinion on this lot...

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, X58 - Socket-1366
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920
    Prolimatech Megahalems Mega Shadow CPU Heatsink
    Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm 2200RPM Fan x2
    Corsair HX 850W PSU - ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Gold, Modular
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2 - 32MB 7200RPM
    Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB

Case, ATI 5870, mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers I already have.

Anyone see any problems Im missing?

*Also Asus products and P55/AMD system not considered.*

Thanks to all who posted advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But what about an AMD Phenom build?

lol.gif

In any case, don't see much wrong. The HX850 is merry overkill but its so darn fine... :D And you'll appreciate it if you CrossFire some HD5870s (as if! :D)

Also, does the 1866MHz DDR3 have tighter latencies than the slower kit? Thought not. So is it cheaper? :P If not there's no point worrying. They're well into the Land Of Diminishing Returns in the speed stakes so its all about latency at that point. Hell, PC3-10600 CL7 is probably better than PC3-12800 CL9 for most things (especially games! ;))...

After that you're in the land of silly things - BluRay, SSD, etc. All up to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

You are missing an LGA1156 Board and i5 CPU :P

Unless of course you actually need the Tripple Channel Memory....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    You are missing an LGA1156 Board and i5 CPU :P

Unless of course you actually need the Tripple Channel Memory....

and a CPU that don't 'splode.

Dunno about the Mugen 2, Most reviews I've seen put even the Noctua NH-U12P ahead of it. If it's for performance it's the Megahalem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

How about a Titan Fenrir CPU Cooler? They sound good. As for the RAM, the Dominators are beautiful, but the XMS3's are cheaper. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=452004

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

and a CPU that don't 'splode.

Dunno about the Mugen 2, Most reviews I've seen put even the Noctua NH-U12P ahead of it. If it's for performance it's the Megahalem for me.

CPU not going bang is a pretty good thing imho :)
    Yeah I screwed up with the cpu cooler. Thinking of a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, almost as good as the Megahalem but comes with fan and is only 24 quid :)

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    But what about an AMD Phenom build?

lol.gif

In any case, don't see much wrong. The HX850 is merry overkill but its so darn fine... :D And you'll appreciate it if you CrossFire some HD5870s (as if! :D)

Also, does the 1866MHz DDR3 have tighter latencies than the slower kit? Thought not. So is it cheaper? :P If not there's no point worrying. They're well into the Land Of Diminishing Returns in the speed stakes so its all about latency at that point. Hell, PC3-10600 CL7 is probably better than PC3-12800 CL9 for most things (especially games! ;))...

After that you're in the land of silly things - BluRay, SSD, etc. All up to you :)

Adding a 2nd 5870 later is on the cards when prices drop next year, rules out EVGA boards tho as no Xfire on em.

Good point on the ram, wasnt sure about DDR3 ram tbh.

Funny, I thought the Mugen2 was rated as one of the better LGA1366 coolers, just a bit below the Megahalems... I remember being laughed at a short while back for not pointing that out... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Cant for the life of me find it now but 1600 CL6 vs 1866 CL8( or was it 9, anyway it was low latency 1600 vs higher latency 1866), in terms of gaming the higher clock came out ahead, but we are talking about 1 fps! In other areas the lower latency pushed ahead. Its splitting hairs really, avoid generic crap and get enough of it and you wont honestly know beyond that.

850W isnt that overkill if your going to crossfire 5870's. Ive tri-fire 5870's on a 1200W, yes overkill, but the case is fully loaded otherwise plus I like having that headroom for future alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Nice looking build but i would deffo look at a better cooler.
    The Megahalems is considered one of if not the best air coolers out there.
    I have the Nouctua and a Corsair H50 and both perform well on my 920 c0.

Yeah upon mature recollection the Prolimatech coolers are probley the best bet but need suggestions on fans for em now lol.

Can best performance be matched with LED fans (I likes me blue glow so I does) or is it a case of one or the other.

Swirlser im with you on always having the extra ummph for whats down the road :)

What sort of results you seeing with Tri 5870's ya mad yoke lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Just got it tuesday and coming from XP Ive spent much time playing with the shiny (to me) Win7.

Having not bought any PC titles in ages I went out and raided a game store (nicely timed too, CoD6 was just released!). Got about a dozen titles and havent yet tried them all. Actually played Borderlands the most so far, i dont know why, i just started and couldnt stop (its not in any way graphically intensive tho, triple digit fps on that). CoD6 isnt that graphically intense either, was very surprised (again, way into triple digit fps maxed out :s). The difference between the gpu requirements of titles is massive, going from lol street fight with 300+ fps to Stalker which can bring the machine to its knees >_< to get playable (50+) fps I need to notch down the settings or play at a lower res o.O

Havent tried eyefinity, doesnt honestly appeal to me, the border on my monitors is about an inch (apple 30'' cinema), if I did put 3 together I know the 2inches of broken space both sides would bug the **** out of me, not to mention that games which require monstrous grunt can only just be played @2560*1600 maxed out, I would have to compromise settings to keep things silky smooth (and leave other machines without a display!). I will at least try it out ofc, but its certainly not going to become a standard way of playing at this time, next time round when cards can actually support (and by support - I mean play games maxed out) 3-6 screens and new monitors with next to no border (designed specifically for), Ill consider it more seriously then. For now if you want a nice thrill from a big screen, get a nice racing game or flight sim and a big ass TV XD (wipeout HD = very sexeh for this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i officially hate you! :P

3*5870 & the 30" apple (damn damn fine screen, had the use of one for ~3 weeks a while back, wow) but yeah, the border is a bit off putting when 2+ are side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah upon mature recollection the Prolimatech coolers are probley the best bet but need suggestions on fans for em now lol.

Can best performance be matched with LED fans (I likes me blue glow so I does) or is it a case of one or the other.

Swirlser im with you on always having the extra ummph for whats down the road :)

What sort of results you seeing with Tri 5870's ya mad yoke lol.

I would recommend the Silverstone F122 :p nice static pressure on it 5.66mmH2O.
    I dont think you will find many good 120x32mm or 120x35mm fans with LEDs, they all look rather boring, this being the flashiest i have found.

Bah. Never heard of such a thing as a good LED fan before finger.gif Just get a 1337 fan (cooling is more important!) and strap some fairy lights to it or something lol.gif

Solitaire wrote: »
    Bah. Never heard of such a thing as a good LED fan before finger.gif Just get a 1337 fan (cooling is more important!) and strap some fairy lights to it or something lol.gif

Yeah tracked down some Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm 2200RPM Fans to pair with the Mega Shadow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Get yourself a CM V8( I might sell you mine, Its brand new ). I was running one on my i7 965 at 4.2ghz and getting 42c idel and 70c under full load in Prime95, Playing games it never went over 60c.

As for your setup its not far off mine.

I am using 6gb Corsair Dom 1600Mhz at 7-7-7-20 1600 and it runs great.

Also have the X58-UD5 and what can i say, Its the dogs B@llox. Its so easy to OC and it runs so well.

I have some 5870s on order but am waiting for them to come in. Its kinda gone beyond a joke now,

All in all i am very happy with my setup.

My new case and watercooling stuff comes soon(Shipped yesterday) So once i get them im going to be happy happy happy :D

And il be over the moon if i get my cards also :D

On less someone with a tri setup wants to sell me one now :D

Blazher I looked at the CM coolers but they don't deliver performance/price wise.

What's the on-board sound like on the X58-UD5 btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Venom wrote: »
    Blazher I looked at the CM coolers but they don't deliver performance/price wise.

What's the on-board sound like on the X58-UD5 btw?

Il give you mine for 55 Euro new in box with everything. A CPU cooler that overclocks a 965 to 4.2 and only hits 60 while gaming, Thats fecking great.

The 965 has alot more heat then the 920 D0 stepping

The onboard sound is good! better then most but its still on board!

Advertisement