Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell delivery

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I ordered a Dell Mini v from their Irish website about 10 days ago, got an email from them last sunday to say the order was shipped on the 7/11/2009.

I rang them today to ask why it had turned up, the address on all their emails is a dublin address , the girl on the phone told me it takes 5 days by Interlink from CHINA.

When did Dell move manufacturing to China, I thought it went to Poland ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Some manufacturing moved from Ireland to Poland. Their service for servers has gone to **** in the meantime, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I'm not even sure if they made those in Ireland to begin with.

Other products have always come from China, mostly laptops I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, it doesn't matter where they ship from, as long as they ship within the timeframes stated in their service level agreements or T&Cs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Laptops were moved out of the Limerick plant several years ago. Since the Poland plant is only coming on stream now, it was unlikely they moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

We've gotten a few desktops from Dell's Poland facility over the past couple of months and I have to say the build quality seems to have gone down a bit.
    I'm not sure if its just a coincidence or if the case supplier has changed but there is no a very visible 5 mm gap between the sides and top of the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have to agree with the previous poster about the build quality haven gone down in the last while.
    Since Jan 2008, my immediate family have bought 6 laptops from Dell.
    1 of them has worked perfectly since purchase.
    3 of them have had to be returned twice for hardware issues (2 video-cards replaced and 2 dvd drives replaced, motherboard & battery replaced).
    1 of them was dead on arrival, an onsite engineer called, replaced the motherboard - still wouldn't work, whole laptop was replaced, replacement was faulty - had to go back for repair.
    1 of them has just gone back for the 4th time (2 screens replaced, hard-drive replaced, replaced hard-drive went faulty after 10 days).
    Despite these faults, I have to say that the support was pretty good all-along and hopefully I won't have many other issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

jor el wrote: »
    Laptops were moved out of the Limerick plant several years ago. Since the Poland plant is only coming on stream now, it was unlikely they moved there.

Nah, they were building notebooks there up until July

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mud wrote: »
    Nah, they were building notebooks there up until July

For the last year or more and long before Limerick was closed, I've been receiving Dell laptops made in China.

96055.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think most of the carcasses came in from China for years and they only added optional extras in Europe like screens memory HDD and 3D cards .

Has foxconn not built them since they went over to a standard power jack for the PA-12 and PA-10 series power adapters around 2004 ??

Advertisement