Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Out.

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

I'm not dropping out (Yet anyway) but after what date do you loose your entitlement to free fees/partial fees next year?

I tried to find something, but didnt really get anywhere

*Awaits Sean_K's reply*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No Connor... NOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

errlloyd wrote: »
    No Connor... NOOOOO

There's only one n! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

4000th post...

Anyway I know there is one n in n, if not it would just be o...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Gonna drop out?

Fúck it....I'll ruin my perfect 4000.

In short I'm not sure, I like bits of Science, but I really dont like how it's structured (ie I really like both Chemistry and Comp Sci, which is why I put it (Science Omnibus) ahead of Denominated Comp Sci on the CAO, the whole module thingy is messy and what not).

I dunno, I'm not really enjoying the course and I have found another course that I should have the points for (I said that in August.......) if I reapply to the CAO (If I repeat Maths and do HL).

I dunno it's a big mess :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What would you be thinking of doing instead?

Also, have you talked to the student advisor in science or CS? They can be very helpful.

What would you be thinking of doing instead?

Also, have you talked to the student advisor in science or CS? They can be very helpful.

Engineering or something, I'm not entirely sure.

I dunno, I just want to know that date :P.

I'll look into every option though :).

I dont really like UCD hugely.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Can ya drop out, and using points from the LC last year, apply for another course? (assuming you have the correct points and minimum requirements)

errlloyd wrote: »
    4000th post...

Anyway I know there is one n in n, if not it would just be o...

I actually saw you as I was leaving UCD......
    Can ya drop out, and using points from the LC last year, apply for another course? (assuming you have the correct points and minimum requirements)

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Collisionman

Fad wrote: »
    Fúck it....I'll ruin my perfect 4000.

In short I'm not sure, I like bits of Science, but I really dont like how it's structured (ie I really like both Chemistry and Comp Sci, which is why I put it (Science Omnibus) ahead of Denominated Comp Sci on the CAO, the whole module thingy is messy and what not).

I dunno, I'm not really enjoying the course and I have found another course that I should have the points for (I said that in August.......) if I reapply to the CAO (If I repeat Maths and do HL).

I dunno it's a big mess :(

You should have stayed in Physics!

• Advertisement

You should have stayed in Physics!

I really should have! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

by the end of January (31th),the tuition fees has to be paid off.that's rule.hope this helps :pac:

enlighten us tell us why do u dislike ucd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Collisionman

I really should have! :mad:

Physics is where is where it's on man! Physics is where all the pussy is!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Physics is where all the pussy is!

Now I know you're bullshitting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Engineering or something, I'm not entirely sure.

I dunno, I just want to know that date :P.

I'll look into every option though :).

I dont really like UCD hugely.......

Stay with CS. It might be boring but at the end of the day when you graduate you might well have a better chance of getting employed than an engineer would (Unless your doing a software engineering course). Plus, at the moment salaries for CS grads are a higher than engineers. Plus, if you want to get the real salaries in engineering than you probably wold have to go on to do a masters or a PhD.

Click here for the Blackwater Salary Survey for more information.

Systems analyst looks like a tempting job.

I'm wishing now that I had chosen more CS modules, would have been good on the ole CV.

@ Collisionman, yes physics is where all the pussy is, lol.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Now I know you're bullshitting :p
    Nono, it's cool. He's talking about shrodingers pussy. Which may or may not exist.

(Please don't collapse the waveform, you'l ruin our dreams)

Raphael wrote: »
    Nono, it's cool. He's talking about shrodingers pussy. Which may or may not exist.

(Please don't collapse the waveform, you'l ruin our dreams)

It's Schrödinger's Cat, or if you like innuendo, Schrödinger's pussy

I'm not dropping out (Yet anyway) but after what date do you loose your entitlement to free fees/partial fees next year?

I tried to find something, but didnt really get anywhere

*Awaits Sean_K's reply*

'Free' fee students
    (a) 'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw (by returning student card) from Friday 25 September 2009 to Friday 29 January 2010 inclusive are liable for payment of the Student Services fee and the Student Centre levy i.e. €1657.50*. FURTHER, half of the tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will then be liable to pay half the tuition fee for the equivalent duration of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution.
    (b) 'Free' fee students who register and officially withdraw (by returning student card) after 1 February 2010 are liable for payment of the Student Services fee, the Student Centre levy i.e. €1,657.50. FURTHER, the full tuition fee will be claimed on the student’s behalf from the HEA. A student will have to pay full fees for the equivalent duration of attendance if s/he registers within the next 5 years in any Irish third level institution.
    * If entitled to "free" fees; if not, the appropriate tuition fee must be paid.
    (Note: no charge applies to students who transfer to another third level institution as a result of a higher CAO offer).
    Got this from the UCD website. For more click here.

Basically if you leave now you'll have to pay half of the full tuition fees, where now the Higher Education Authority are paying your full fees except the €1,657.50 (i.e., student centre levy & student services fee).

Your paying €1.657.50 now (if you don't have the maintenance grant).
    Your will pay €3828.75 every year if you drop out and go back to college next year. (if you are not eligable for the maintenance grant).

I think personally if the government brings back third level fees then drop out of your course if your not interested in it. There's no point forking out fees for something you hate when you could be spending them on something you would be interested in.

Advertisement