Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Kerryman that ever lived?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Although born in Cork, he was raised in Killarney and died in Cahirciveen and somewhere in between saved some 6500 lives was awarded the CBE (UK) was given the US Medal of Freedom and countless other merits of recognition. Monsignor O'Flaherty comes across as very much an unsung hero or am i missing out on something here??
    Could someone put me in my place, if at all possible, on this, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I like his style,kept his head down and got on with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

for my money, the greatest kerryman was the explorer Tom Crean.

Talk about courage, toughness, and quiet dignity..... Some of the greatest explorers of the time (and today) look up to him.

Anyone interested, check him out on wikipedia or find his pub 'The South Pole' in Annascaul Co Kerry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(explorer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Spud Smith

You must be skint!
    Your talkng about someone who left home to join the British Armed Services at a time when there was many a Kerryman embroiled in conflict with them. Although feted in apart of Kerry like there is footballers today and his achievements were borne from self-exhilaration i think you read my question wrong, i said greatest man ever not great at what one did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

[QUOTE=Spud Smith;62990767 i said greatest man ever not great at what one did!!![/QUOTE]

Dont see too much of a difference. Both were good at what they did

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Spud Smith wrote: »

You must be skint!
    Your talkng about someone who left home to join the British Armed Services at a time when there was many a Kerryman embroiled in conflict with them. Although feted in apart of Kerry like there is footballers today and his achievements were borne from self-exhilaration i think you read my question wrong, i said greatest man ever not great at what one did!!!

Weren't quite a few of the people helped by the Monsignor, British service-men? Many people here at the time (if not now:eek:) wouldn't have been too happy with that.

• Advertisement

newman10 wrote: »
    Dont see too much of a difference. Both were good at what they did

Seriously, one ran away to join the British navy and became an explorer and thats what he did and he was good at it!

Second one became a priest and he was good at it!

Now the second one saved around 6500 lives recieved the CBE, US Medal of Freedom, Notary of the Holy Order and a film made about him starring Gregory Peck (i think) plus much more!

Now the first one did exactly what it said on the tin... explored!

I know which one i'd like to call the greatest KERRYman....

ejmaztec wrote: »

Weren't quite a few of the people helped by the Monsignor, British service-men? Many people here at the time (if not now:eek:) wouldn't have been too happy with that.

He was a PRIEST and true to faith and without hypocrisy was obligated to assist all with aid and never question ones allegiance while they were in need.
    I don't believe he intended to flee his homeland and take up British arms with the intention to kill those the British Crown nominated their enemy albeit under the intention to explore:rolleyes:.

Does anyone but me think the Monsignor is edging this one slightly :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Wasn't there that dude who was both a priest[not to mention a saint] and an explorer, my vote goes for him.

Although Kerry being part of a democracy these days, if it was put to a popular vote the Greatest Kerryman is sure to be...

...a footballer !

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Tom Crean vs Monsignor O'Flaherty

Tom Crean only joined the British army.

Monsignor O'Flaherty was born in Cork, waaay worse !

Didn't think of that!!!
    But surely that can't be held against the man, because as sure as he was able to walk over the border he came never to return.

Look at the misfortune of our all Ireland Kerry captain this year.... born in London:eek:

• Advertisement

Didnt think of that!!!

But in fairness to the issue and the Monsignor, as soon as he realised and was able to walk, over the border he came never to return.

I can almost imagine the Monsignor looking down and whispering "say feck all about the Kerry captain this year!!!" (nee London);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

While one can't deny this mans greatness, alas, he not is a Kerryman, he was born in Cork. He did live in Kerry, but also in Italy for quite a while - would this make him Italian?

Tom Crean was indeed a legand,
    and what about Daniel O Connell?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Seriously, one ran away to join the British navy and became an explorer and thats what he did and he was good at it!

Second one became a priest and he was good at it!

Now the second one saved around 6500 lives recieved the CBE, US Medal of Freedom, Notary of the Holy Order and a film made about him starring Gregory Peck (i think) plus much more!

Now the first one did exactly what it said on the tin... explored!

I know which one i'd like to call the greatest KERRYman....

To understand the magnitude of what Crean did look at a globe and just imagne the harshness of Antartica and the Southern Ocean. He was just one of many Irishmen who joined the British Army because it was better than rotting away in what must have been a Godforsaken Hell in the 1880s.

Then again Hugh O Flaherty's Church of Rome are now seen to be just a rotten as the British Army.

History cannot be judged through the Rose tinted glasses of a Republican Catholis Tradition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Would have a lot more time for what Tom Crean achieved that O'Flaherty.

If it was a choice between the two, Crean would get my vote every day of the week.

However I can't help thinking that surely there are other options out there.

What about Kitchener, he was a great Kerryman?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Just a note on tom crean he joined the british navy in dingle long before the IRA was there or the war started between ireland and england
    He also helped a local man who was being charged with being involved with robbing somewhere with the IRA
    Crean went to court and swore he saw him working in a field on the day
    even though they thought he was guilty the had to leave him off because of creans record with the british navy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Daniel O Connell is the greatest Kerryman of all time. If it weren't for him we'd all still be helping the British army. He did more for Irish Freedom than anyone else and dont anyone ever forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener

He mapped Cyprus , and was the original Larry of Arabia

Kitchener,
    Another Brit soldier and a gay one at that.

What was it with North Kerry and their GREAT:confused: British Soldiers????

Kitchener,
    Another Brit soldier and a gay one at that.

What was it with North Kerry and their GREAT:confused: British Soldiers????

He was still born here, and he probably wasn't the only gay in the village.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

John B. Keane, for what he contributed to the arts. :)

grenache wrote: »
    John B. Keane, for what he contributed to the arts. :)

98649.gif

tumbleweed[1].gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

You must be skint!
    Your talkng about someone who left home to join the British Armed Services at a time when there was many a Kerryman embroiled in conflict with them.

How old are you? Anti British bigoted rhetoric from the 19200s is getting old.
    Do you watch X factor and support and English football team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

how about ogie moran?

8 all ireland medals in the one position, unlikely to ever be equalled or surpassed.

or micko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Damn when I saw the thread title I was sure it was about John O Donoghue.:D

St Brendan perhaps? We are lead to believe that he did discover America!

Someone should do a pole up here for the laugh.

Any female contenders?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Danny Foley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Any female contenders?

only in kerry could a woman be nominated for "greatest kerryman of all time" :D

sam34 wrote: »
    only in kerry could a woman be nominated for "greatest kerryman of all time" :D

:o:o:o:o

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Someone should do a pole up here for the laugh.

It's possible for a Pole to be the greatest Kerryman.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's possible for a Pole to be the greatest Kerryman.

A poll even:o
    Anything else?

Advertisement