Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide Via Duct to re-open next Monday

Options
  • 11-11-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

bit of breaking news from ianrod eireann....

for anyone traveling along that route

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Moved from AH

Thanks & sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

You forgot the linky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hopefully the canoers will have checked the line for us by then

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was at Malahide Marina this lunchtime and there was a locomotive that looked like it had just come across the viaduct - I presume it was testing the track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Don't forget your Life Jacket's :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

does this mean the enterprise is running from then too? ah ok it is- brilliant news!
    hope they are going to revise their fares! i heard they were going to be lowered to get people back onto the trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Nice touch this morning for our 3 months inconvenience, they were handing out 1 X voucher per passenger for a return ticket to any station on the IR Network :cool:

its great to see things are finally getting back on ""track"" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Nodster wrote: »
    Nice touch this morning for our 3 months inconvenience, they were handing out 1 X voucher per passenger for a return ticket to any station on the IR Network :cool:
    Nothing for us on the 33X :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

The voucher says it's for travel between 2 IE intercity stations and you have to exchange it at Connolly. Does Balbriggan count?

The leaflet also said they're launching special offers on the route and to see details on the website but I haven't been able to find any details, can anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Much appreciated, kudos to IR on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

33X passengers received their's this evening.
    While it is better then nothing, I would much rather have seen something like free family tickets for off peak use (especially over the weekends). Something along those lines.
    I think most off the passenger's families have also suffered during the 3 months of disruption.
    For Balbriggan to Donabate based passengers, I will also be interested to see what the special offers they refer to are , and especially those with existing monthly/annual tickets.
    The intercity voucher can only be used between intercity stations, and not suburban stations. Also must be used by Jan 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jthrppel

We were told in the bus that the new 33x will continue to run at 10 min intervals between 6.30 and 9 AM and 4 & 6 PM as it is now. The 5.35 PM regular 33x from Stephan's Green will stop running from Monday. Would be a great help for commuters to have the option for both full length commuting as well as to get to and from train stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In fairness at full price that's anything up to €100 odd to Cork, for example (think its about €36 if you buy online, each way, more at the station on the day)...
    Beasty wrote: »
    I was at Malahide Marina this lunchtime and there was a locomotive that looked like it had just come across the viaduct - I presume it was testing the track

Saw that from the other side as well, was just the donabate side or so it looked.

They actually used a full Tara Mines freight train (which would be heavier than any commuter train) and it passed.

As posted in a previous post, the 33X will stay in operation from 6.30am-7.30am (every 10 minutes) and 7.30am-9am (every 15 minutes) and ALL buses will operate to St. Stephen's Green.

Return journeys will be between 4pm-6pm (every 10 minutes).

The level of service will depend on the uptake by passengers.

Rail tickets will be accepted ONLY on this Monday and Tuesday, after that it's bus tickets or pay as you go.

Annoying for me as I have a rail only Taxsaver ticket that expires at the end of January so at this point in time, I won't be in a position to obtain a refund if I return it.

As a result, I'll be walking to Rush & Lusk station every morning to try and get fit while saving €8 on car parking fees (except when it rains of course).

My wife just told me that she was on another 33X this morning and the driver announced that the arrangements that I posted above are a trial basis of 1 week to assess volume of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭squonk

Dublin Bus have posted up times here: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Routes-33x-and-33d/

The driver this morning mentioned the extended 33X service on the way up the quays and said 'anyone who filled in the survey and peition from Rush, Lusk & Skerries, Fair play to you!!' and got a round of applause! Brilliant!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A bit more info in the message I just received from Skerries CA:

33X Express Services from Skerries via Rush/Lusk and Dublin Port Tunnel to City Centre
    For week commencing Monday 16th November, 33X buses will run every 10 minutes between 6.30am to 7.30am and from 7.30am to 9am buses will run every 15 minutes.
    Return journeys from the city will run between 4pm to 6pm.
    For the week commencing 23rd November 2009 the 33X bus will run at 6.30am, 6.45am, 7.00am, 7.15am and 7.30am.
    Assessment of future needs of Express Buses
    Over the next 2 weeks, Dublin Bus will be assessing the needs of future Express Buses to the city and the numbers of persons continuing to use the bus will determine the extent of continued services.

Nice one Beasty, will people from Skerries still use these buses or get back on the train as it'll only take half the time that the bus will take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭squonk

To be honest dcr22B I was doing a bit of calculation this morning for where I'm working... off Leeson St. Prior to the viaduct collapse, I'd leave the house about 7:20 or 7:25, get the 7:40 train to town, get off at Pearse at 8:20, and be in work for just before 8:40. right now, I'm leaving the house at 6:40, taking the 6:45 to Stepehn's green and am in work just before 8 so there isn't a large difference. In the evening I have to make it over to Custom House Quay which adds to the journey time. I might go back on the train in the evenings but if it's as packed as I think it's going to be with the new timetable, and those extra stops, then the bus does become an attractive alternative, even on the journey home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Railway commission to review viaduct
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1113/breaking5.htm

ir still avoiding responsibilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Can anyone explain whats going on with the 33x from now on? My rail pass is up in jan & i have to order a new one in a couple of weeks.
    If the 33x is staying I will get bus and rail, but obviously not going to get a bus ticket if the 33x isn't staying.

Can someone please make the bridge collapse again?

The train from Balbriggan took over an hour this morning compared to 25 minutes on the bus. I'm seriously considering driving into town (or to a dart station) from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Oobie wrote: »
    Can someone please make the bridge collapse again?

The train from Balbriggan took over an hour this morning compared to 25 minutes on the bus. I'm seriously considering driving into town (or to a dart station) from now on.

An hour ?! Why?

How was it for most others this morning?

LaFleur wrote: »
    An hour ?! Why?

How was it for most others this morning?

I really don't know. It stopped before rush & lusk for ages with no explanation from the driver and then crawled til just past Portmarnock where it stopped again for a while. I'm not looking forward to the journey home this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

From AA Roadwatch :

TRAVEL NEWS* *IRISH RAIL* There are 10min delays both ways on the northern commuter line due to signalling restrictions.

The M1 was pants this morning ... 55 mins from Balbriggan to the Port Tunnel :mad:

Vico1612 wrote: »
    From AA Roadwatch :

TRAVEL NEWS* *IRISH RAIL* There are 10min delays both ways on the northern commuter line due to signalling restrictions.

I'd wrecking their just taking it easy going over the bridge ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Customers should note that, as is normal with all new track infrastructure, there will initially be a speed restriction on trains across the viaduct. This restriction will be at 25mph for a minimum of two weeks, and raised to 50mph for a further minimum of two weeks, following which line speeds will be increased to the normal levels of 90mph. This is standard practice, and these restrictions will not impact on the reliability of services.

Tucked away at the bottom of the press release.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=559

• Advertisement

ragg wrote: »
    Can anyone explain whats going on with the 33x from now on? My rail pass is up in jan & i have to order a new one in a couple of weeks.
    If the 33x is staying I will get bus and rail, but obviously not going to get a bus ticket if the 33x isn't staying.
    As far as I know, they're trialing a rush hour only service on the 33X for two weeks to see what kind of uptake is given and they will decide from then.

Just to let you know that the inspector pointed out to me on Friday morning that drivers will only accept rail tickets for today and tomorrow only so I'll be going back to the train from Wednesday onwards.

Advertisement