Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playback of HD footage on laptop

• 11-11-2009 6:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, weird one but i thought i woukd get a good answer in here.

i have a sanyo xacti cg10 mini HD camcorder.

when i record in the 2MP mode it records no problem and plays back on my laptop through the SD card no problems.

but when i record in 10MP HD mode, the file size is noticieably and understandably bigger but when i transfer it to my laptop from the SD card, the footage is skipping as such. sound is ok, but every second or 2 its as if the movie skips a scene. i thought it might of being because of my SD card, but ive just tried a SDHC card and its the same.

would it have anything to do with playing the video on my laptop that would not be HD ready as in how a HD TV would be???

so in other words, i have to record in 2MP mode just incase i want to watch it somewhere where theres no HD screen to watch it on??

in my video menu i have the following options :
    1. HD-SHQ 1280x720fps SHQ
    2. TV-HR 640x480 60fps HR
    3. TV-SHQ 640x480 30fps SHQ

thanks for listening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Had exactly the same problem when I bought a HD camcorder, the video was freezing and skipping etc.. when I transferred the files to my laptop.

It's the laptop thats the problem, mine wasn't powerful enough to play the high definition files (H.264). I tried them on a friends laptop that had a quad core processor and there was no problem.

So if you want to edit your video files on a laptop you will probably need to upgrade.

I didn't need to edit so I just copied the files to a portable hard drive and bought a WDTV player which plays the files in glorious high definition on my tv.

Here's a link to a thread that ran in bargain alerts on the wdtv player, may not be what you're looking for but it worked for me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606232&highlight=wdtv

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CLADA wrote: »
    Had exactly the same problem when I bought a HD camcorder, the video was freezing and skipping etc.. when I transferred the files to my laptop.

It's the laptop thats the problem, mine wasn't powerful enough to play the high definition files (H.264). I tried them on a friends laptop that had a quad core processor and there was no problem.

So if you want to edit your video files on a laptop you will probably need to upgrade.

I didn't need to edit so I just copied the files to a portable hard drive and bought a WDTV player which plays the files in glorious high definition on my tv.

Here's a link to a thread that ran in bargain alerts on the wdtv player, may not be what you're looking for but it worked for me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055606232&highlight=wdtv

i got it sorted by updating the codecs on my laptop.
    thanks.

Advertisement