Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playback of HD footage on laptop

Options
  • 11-11-2009 7:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, weird one but i thought i woukd get a good answer in here.

i have a sanyo xacti cg10 mini HD camcorder.

when i record in the 2MP mode it records no problem and plays back on my laptop through the SD card no problems.

but when i record in 10MP HD mode, the file size is noticieably and understandably bigger but when i transfer it to my laptop from the SD card, the footage is skipping as such. sound is ok, but every second or 2 its as if the movie skips a scene. i thought it might of being because of my SD card, but ive just tried a SDHC card and its the same.

would it have anything to do with playing the video on my laptop that would not be HD ready as in how a HD TV would be???

so in other words, i have to record in 2MP mode just incase i want to watch it somewhere where theres no HD screen to watch it on??

in my video menu i have the following options :
    1. HD-SHQ 1280x720fps SHQ
    2. TV-HR 640x480 60fps HR
    3. TV-SHQ 640x480 30fps SHQ

thanks for listening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm not 100% sure about this but it might be something to do with your graphics card? Is it a HD card?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure about this but it might be something to do with your graphics card? Is it a HD card?

very possible its not, as its a dell laptop from about 5 years ago.

so what would be the best format to record on from the below?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you got a HD tv? You could hook the camera up to the tv and watch it through that.

If not the 2nd one is 60fps so should be a bit smoother.

Someone else might have better advice or even how to watch them on your laptop.

Wheety wrote: »
    Have you got a HD tv? You could hook the camera up to the tv and watch it through that.

If not the 2nd one is 60fps so should be a bit smoother.

Someone else might have better advice or even how to watch them on your laptop.

cheers, yeah have a HD TV, so i suppose the way to do it is if i plan on watching something in HD, record it and watch it through the TV.

if i just want video that i want to be able to pass around or share with others, use the 60fps format.

thanks for the advice Wheety.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

standard sd and sdhc are pretty on par read times, wont make a difference, i'm guessing its either the read times are having hassle keeping up with the volume of data, is the card unbranded cheapo job?

or given the pc is 5 years old its defo gona struggle with hd content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

kceire wrote: »
    ok, weird one but i thought i woukd get a good answer in here.

i have a sanyo xacti cg10 mini HD camcorder.

when i record in the 2MP mode it records no problem and plays back on my laptop through the SD card no problems.

but when i record in 10MP HD mode, the file size is noticieably and understandably bigger but when i transfer it to my laptop from the SD card, the footage is skipping as such. sound is ok, but every second or 2 its as if the movie skips a scene. i thought it might of being because of my SD card, but ive just tried a SDHC card and its the same.

would it have anything to do with playing the video on my laptop that would not be HD ready as in how a HD TV would be???

so in other words, i have to record in 2MP mode just incase i want to watch it somewhere where theres no HD screen to watch it on??

in my video menu i have the following options :

thanks for listening.

This isnt a graphics card or a HD/ non HD issue directly. Its more that the playback of files can be quite CPU intensive. It also comes down to codecs. That camera is recording H.264 mp4 files.
    What are you playing them back with?
    Try VLC player if you arent already. Or update your codecs - try downloading the k-lite codec pack.

standard sd and sdhc are pretty on par read times, wont make a difference, i'm guessing its either the read times are having hassle keeping up with the volume of data, is the card unbranded cheapo job?

or given the pc is 5 years old its defo gona struggle with hd content

thats what i thought tbh too. there both SanDisc cards im using. when i record using the 60fps it plays back perfect, its just the HD content that doesnt play on my non HD laptop which i can understand completely.
    This isnt a graphics card or a HD/ non HD issue directly. Its more that the playback of files can be quite CPU intensive. It also comes down to codecs. That camera is recording H.264 mp4 files.
    What are you playing them back with?
    Try VLC player if you arent already. Or update your codecs - try downloading the k-lite codec pack.

thanks, i was thinking that too. i seem to have everything working now in normal mode, just HD wont playback on my laptop, so i will take some more test footage in HD and play it back through the TV (which is HD) and see what that comes out like.

thanks guys.

thanks artvandulet,

i just downloaded the codes thingy..... and all is fine now. HD footage is playing back and even the lower 2MP footage i recored seems to be a bit more crisp and vibrant!

once again, thank you :D

Advertisement