Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont stop believing

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

hello anybody who is reading.im 27 years old and am aiming to run a marathon in under 4 hours at some stage next year.i love running but i am a very slow runner.i did the dublin marathon in 4.56 three years ago and gave up for two years.this year i did the half connemarathon in 2.16 or so but then i stopped again.this time its for real.im going to train properly and log my runs.i went for a 20 min run lastnight and i nearly died.ive given up smoking around three months ago and i have rediscovered the joys of food again and im about two stone heavier than when i did the half in connemara.i have only ever trained by goin out and running.ive never done speedwork or hill runs and ive never timed my miles or taken too much care about distances.so here it goes.hopefully by some stage next year ill have the bravery to try another marathon again and do it under 4h:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with your training.
    90% of training is all getting in the right frame of mind.
    Once you commit yourself to however many runs a week you plan to do and stick to that,you have a great chance of reaching your goal.

If your starting from scratch,why not try the couch to 5k program to get you going.

Might seem to easy for you,if it is just skip the first few weeks.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck with the log and the training. There's plenty out there in the same boat so give it a lash.

Have you any outline of a plan over the next few weeks in terms of frequency/duration of runs? I find its easier if you have a plan to work to as I could drift off course without one. Of course the plan can change to take account of life but at least you'd have a rough idea of what you were doing and how you were going to improve.

If you planning on hitting the half in Connemara again you'd have plenty of time to build up nicely to it. Do you have any rough targets for 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

went on the cross trainer last night for 25 minutes at at hard level i think and i found it tough goin.have indoor soccer now for an hour but its guiness all the way tomorrow evening for a going away party.saw an add today for a 10k run on sunday in kilcolgan so im going to give it a craic and see how it goes.thanks for the encouraging posts.i feel really motivated to get fit at the moment mostly because due to the big belly syndrome.i defo have big plans for 2010.apart from running a marathon i am due to get married in october which is very exciting. i am aiming for a marathon before october so if anyone has any recommendations they would be greatly appreciated:cool:

25 minutes on the cross trainer.have a cold.it il have to do

• Advertisement

there is no such thing as bad weather just soft people.man its cold out tonight.struggled to get goin this eveningafter a hard weekend.going to go for 4 slow 2.5 milers this week and hopefully a 4.5 miler on sunday.plan is to go below 2hrs in the ballybunio half marathon in april.my best hal time is 2hrs iand 9 minutes in connemarathon half 3 years ago.its something to aim for.so lets hope the flooding and the ice dissappears

"if your not making mistakes then you are not doin anything.im positive a doer makes mistakes" all future posts i make will come with a philosophical or famous quote just to make it a bit more interesting.ive playing a lot of astroturf soccer and doing very little running lately.does any one believe that this will make me fitter.i hope so.im trying to become a box to box player so ive started sprinting a lot in the first 15 minutes and then i blow hard for the rest of the game.this weekend im going to go for a 5 miler.fingers and toes are crossed.no times just distance

"without self discipline success is impossible"

played astroturf 3 times last week.did four and a half miles tuesday and felt ok.very slow pace though.astroturf last night.indoor soccer tonight.hoping to go for a three miler on friday evening and a 6 miler on saturday.not going to time myself till january.just trying to get back into it.its been tough.just need to get out the door.all going to plan il have 15 miles done running by weednesday.that would be a lot of progress for me.doubt il be doing much running at xmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

useurename wrote: »
    "without self discipline success is impossible"

Couldnt have wrote that better myself. Do you want that 3rd cream bun ?? I will and i will start my diet tomorrow. My famous last words.
    Weight is a killer. I know i can run faster if a stone lighter. But i aint disciplined.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

2 miles monday.4miles tuesday.im not enjoying the location of my runs at the moment.there is a one mile stretch of semi footpath semi lighted road along a main road.the lights from the cars are blinding the weather is freezing and its very boring.cant wait for some longer evenings.i really dont like going to work in the dark and getting home in the dark.what can u do.wont be running agaiin til tuesday.

cant run on ice.wont be running til after xmas.christmas is for eating and drinking.happy days.

no running in ages just loads of food and drink.was planning to train for the dingle marathon next september but it looks too hard.way too many hills for my liking.so the plan is to do a marathon inaugust 2010.i plan to get a lot of running in january.once i get out the door im fine.its just getting to the door that is the problem.im oing to join the 1000 mile challenge and start logging my miles properly.i am going to start eating better quality food and live a much healthier life full of fruit and veg and not fast food and treats.having read many logs i think im going to have put a lot more structure in to my training.i plan to do some hill running and fartlek? i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a running book that explains the training for a marathon.anyway i plan to do a half marathon in march and a 20 mile run by may.cant wait to get going.just 2 more days of gluttony and away we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

Best of luck useurename....It'll be awesome crossing the finish line and looking back at this log.

"From small seeds do great oaks grow"

didn't even try to go running because of the weather at the moment.its a lazy excuse.did 32 minutes on the cross trainer which is a new record for me and i felt great after it.looks like im goin to have to stick to it for the next week looking at the weather although i might go out for a couple of 2 milers just to get my name up on the thousand mile challenge.

2 ten minute miles on the ice.delighted to get going.

useurename wrote: »
    there is no such thing as bad weather just soft people.

I've been keeping this in mind over the past few weeks and it has actually helped get me out the door even though I have to wear 4 layers! Thanks.

Check out the Hal Higdon website for training plans if you don't already have one. Keep up the good work.

two miles tonight.delighted to get out the door.i must check out a training plan like you say red b.think il go for 2 mile run most evenings until this weather drys up.the 1000 mile challenge is going to be a great motivation for me if only i culd use it properly.another motivational quote"no one succeeds without effort,those who succeed owe their success to perseverance"

two miles slow and easy

went on the weighing scales for the first time in years and it was a wake up call.15 stone and one ounce.scary suff.i was 12 stone in college that was the last time i weighed myself 7 years ago.so il be keeping my weight up here aswell.this week has been great running wise for me.3 two mile runs on mon tues wednes indoor soccer for one and a half hours thursday.i ran a lovely slow 5 mile run this morning in the winter wonderland.every thing was white and unreal to look at and ther was no ice.so 11 miles in six days.all good considering i was fair pissed last night.if i can do 15 miles a week for january il be delighted.then il start doing a training plan.for now im just happy to be on the road again...

• Advertisement

2 miles slow last night.4 miles tonight.delighted.did the first 2 miles nice and easy and the third mile i ran like i was being chased by the cops and went back into easy mode for the last mile.i think this is a tempo run.i hope it is.did the four miles in 34 minutes which is unreal for me.have been eatin healthy for the last while bar a couple of delicia pizzas which are just too tasty and easy.ive cut out all snacks and sweets and white bread has turned brown.going to weigh myself on friday morn and hope to have lost a couple of ounces.

4 miles in 40 minutes tonight.found a circuit in my locality.4 and a half laps equals 1 mile.it will come in useful.

i did 2 miles in 18 minutes and im chuffed.it was lashing and windy and my legs were sore from soccer last night.thought it would be over 10 minutes a mile but it was 9 minutes.5th day in a row doing exercise and it feels great.8 days running this year.12 miles this week.11 miles last week.i know your not supposed to increase your mileage by too much a week but i feel im starting off a low base.so i plan to be doing 20 miles a week by february and increase it up from there

6 miles today including 4 *350m fast runs in the middle with about a minute break after each of them.intervals i think these are.really enjoyed the run today.brings me up to 17 miles for the week.weight is down to 14st 10 which is the added bonus of eating less sweets and easy food and 6 days of exercise this week.have yet to pick out any races id commit to yet but im deinetly going to do a mile,half marathon and a full marathon this year.next up im going to try hill running next weekend.nice easy runs allnext week.

4 miles this evening in 41 minutes.it was a lovely run in the wind and rain.very refreshing.very slow but how bad.

4 mile run tonight in 36 minutes.it felt like a proper run compared to last nights jog.went at 10 and it was really nice.did a few sprints in the middle.enjoyed it.

3 miles on thursday night.nothing but guiness on friday and a relaxing day yesterday.6 miles this evening very slow.really enjoyed the run though.65 minutes.17 miles for the week.im now weghing 14st7 so i treated myself to a cream egg and some of my daughters jellies.looking forward to better running week next week

Way to go on the building up of the mileage. Keep up the good work and maybe sign up for a 10k race in the next month or so to have a short term term goal as well as a long term one. Keep enjoying yourself is the main thing :).

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Great Stuff Username,

Wish you all the best with your training. I am in a simular situation as your self. Started running last September and loveing it.
    I am running my first race on Sunday 31st , a 10 Miler in Dungarvan:eek:
    and i have booked in for a 10k and a half marathon also. So at the moment i am up to about 20 miles per week(slow miles).
    Ill drop in from time to time to see how you are doing. Keep up the good work.
    All the best Steoc

• Advertisement

cheers red b i will probably enter a race soon if i can find my credit card.i would like to do a 5k,10k and a half marathon this year and maybe a full marathon next year.i'm afraid to commit to a marathon for some reason.went for 4 miles tonight at 10 and it was really nice.felt like getting sick towards the end but i had my dinner at 7 so that was understandable.trying to get to 24 miles this week and 20 miles next week like yourself steoc.best of luck in dungarvan.off to amsterdam next thursday for a few days so ill have to do a good few miles early next week because i will not be bringing my runners to amsterdam:cool:

Advertisement