Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icelandic horses in Ireland

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi

I am thinking of moving to Ireland and we can't decide whether to make the move or not. I have 2 icelandic horses and I can't find any information on clubs or breeders to be able to ask if there is a community of people who love this breed. I have a great club where I am and it would be a shame to move and not have that any more. Does anyone know of anyone with an icelandic horse in the Naas area as this is where we were thinking of moving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I havent heard of any icelandic clubs but I'm sure there are people around who have them. Theres got to be.

They're gorgeous horses btw. I had the privilege of riding one in Iceland a few months ago and it was so safe and nifty and responsive and surefooted and fun! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There used to be a guy who bred them outside of Cahir, Co Tipperary, I visited the place once. Amazing little horses.

think this is it
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~mitchnet/icelandic/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just remember jj209 that if you ever decide to return to Iceland you won't be able to bring your horses with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jj209

Thanks so much that is great to have that. Actually I imported him to France already via Belgium so he has already travelled a lot poor thing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

jj209 wrote: »
    Thanks so much that is great to have that. Actually I imported him to France already via Belgium so he has already travelled a lot poor thing!
    any pictures?

• Advertisement

Yeh this is taken in France, it is so vast compared to where we'll need to move to, I drive 4 miles to the livery yard and don't see a house!

I'm not sure if photos work like this so here goes http://picasaweb.google.com/judycritchley/Hannibal?feat=directlink

I don't know why they aren't popular in Ireland everyone I know here has one, both children and adults can ride them so it is ideal really, he is only about 13hands but they can carry a grown man without trouble as they are very short backed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

He's lovely - looks to have great personality and presence, too!

Maybe Icelandic ponies aren't as popular here due to the fact that the Connemara pony is a native breed and fulfills the same role as the Icelandic pony?

Yes when I called livery yards they said that to me I can't wait to meet some Connemaras but with the prices over there I am not sure we can afford the move, I don't know how anyone can afford 140 euros per week for a box and noone has the stabling I need near South Dublin. They need to be in a herd and not in a box so it is proving tricky. They'll have to go in a box if there is no choice but they actually should be in something they call 'stablage' here which is metal bars making a loose stable that they can see out of. They live in that in the winter in groups of about 5 in a pen. It's common in France but obviously not over there and they are so short they don't see out of the traditional horse stables we have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Danish

Hi Judy,

Let me/us know how you get on. I have been looking for Icelandic horses here in Ireland as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 workaholic2

Hi ,

I know of a livery yard that stables the horses in a barn during winter. They might have room for you there. Its in North County Dublin, I dont know if that's too far for you, but its not too expensive, and they do grass livery for the rest of the year and have stables if you need them. PM me if you want details :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

To the best of my knowledge there are no Icelandics in Ireland. As someone above mentioned, it's probably because there are so many Connemaras in Ireland, which do fulfill the same niche as the Icelandics. Probably better, seeing as most people in Ireland either want to jump, or do dressage, and the Icelandics aren't really suitable for either of those things. And for those who want to do neither and just want to hack down the road, there is a great choice of really smooth riding connemaras and cobs to choose from. Even though they aren't gaited, many of them are so smooth sitting the trot is easier than rising!

Is it the dublin area you need to move to? Most other parts of the country, particularly the West of Ireland, are much more reasonable pricewise than anywhere near Dublin. In the Galway city area, there are a number of places to choose from where livery for a pony is 65 a week, they feed and turn out a couple hours a day, and provide a bale or two of shavings a week(you buy your own if you want more), you clean the stall. Full livery is 75 to 100 a week(they clean the stall). Grass livery(horse outside all the time) can usually be found for 20 to 50 a week, with the 50 a week generally including either the horse coming in during very bad weather, or hay being provided out in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hello77

Well there is at least 1 icelandic pony in Ireland, and his owner seems to know a bit about them...
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/985054
    I'm sure there are more!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alkro

I know, this is a year later, but I am also looking for Icelandic horses in Ireland.
    This summer I visited the place in Tipperary and unfortunately not one single Icelandic horse was to be seen. I called the number on the webpage and the woman who answered the phone acted really weird, telling me "ohhh Ann is going to call you back bye" and I know from conversations I had with her a few years back, that SHE was Ann I had on the phone. So sorry to say but this option does not exist any more. Anybody has any idea of people who own Icelandic ponies in Ireland???

All the best
    Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

A friend of mine owns an Icelandic mare which she bought from Ann, the woman in Tipperary who used to breed them (but no longer does).
    I have ridden that mare a few times (at under 14 h, she must be the smallest horse I have ever ridden). Yes, they are great little horses, getting them to tolt (not sure of the spelling, but that the 4 beat gait they all have) is great fun and a lot more comfortable than even the smoothest trot, but, as they are not suitable for show jumping or hunting, no one is interested in them in Ireland. However, as a family hacking horse, they are perfect. They also make great driving horses.

chevalfou wrote: »
    A friend of mine owns an Icelandic mare which she bought from Ann, the woman in Tipperary who used to breed them (but no longer does).
    I have ridden that mare a few times (at under 14 h, she must be the smallest horse I have ever ridden). Yes, they are great little horses, getting them to tolt (not sure of the spelling, but that the 4 beat gait they all have) is great fun and a lot more comfortable than even the smoothest trot, but, as they are not suitable for show jumping or hunting, no one is interested in them in Ireland. However, as a family hacking horse, they are perfect. They also make great driving horses.

Hi chevalfou,
    Could you please be so kind and get me in contact with your friend. She can reach me on <snip>I would love to talk with her.
    All the best.
    Alex

Please PM Alex if you can help

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paninoris

There is another one live temporary in co wicklow :)
    And I'm looking also to bring him closer Shankill And grass livery and a bit of a roof over his head plus any companion like another horse or few or even goats...
    Anyone know places & prices less than €50 pw?

paninoris wrote: »
    And I'm looking also to bring him closer Shankill And grass livery and a bit of a roof over his head plus any companion like another horse or few or even goats...

Do you have an Icelandic pony? If yes please PM me your phone number I like to talk to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Try Hawthorn lodge in Enniskerry.
    paninoris wrote: »

marley123 wrote: »
    Try Hawthorn lodge in Enniskerry.
    Thanks a mill, i tried call to the few in the area but always is around €400 pm
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's the average price of livery in the greater Dublin area, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Ok but islander dont need a Roof over his head :)
    What about grass livery? How much it may cost? Any idea? :)

already found a lovely place for him, if anybody have a icelanders please pm me :)

Advertisement