Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

how hard is it to get an A1 in irish??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thóg 5.8% duine an A1 i Gaeilge (Árdleibheal) an bhlian seo caite.

Everyone, you may feel free to spot the countless mistakes I've probably made in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ró-deacair a chur in iúl le focail, mo chara.

Well put it this way, if you don't understand that off the bat, then you need to either do alot of work or give up.
    :D

It seems very very difficult to achieve an A1, the exam itself is predicitable enough but you will not get an A1 unless you are either FLUENT in the language as in you can speak it without stutter nor stammer and can read and write without pause just as in english OR if you learn off essays phrase by phrase which is what the majority do.

It explains why nobody knows the language well enough to hold a conversation. Its all rote learning to get points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 qwerty123456

jumpguy wrote: »

Everyone, you may feel free to spot the countless mistakes I've probably made in that sentence.

think you might have the wrong verb there
    tóg = take

Should be: "faigheann 5.8% den daoine A1 i Gaeilge (Árdleibhéal), an bhlian seo chaite" I think...

ach níl an uimhir seo 5.8% as na daoine a déanamh árdleibhéal ach 5.8% as an iomlán a déanann an árdteist. is dóigh liom anyway...

hope that makes sense..:confused:

tóg = take

Should be: "faigheann 5.8% den daoine A1 i Gaeilge (Árdleibhéal), an bhlian seo chaite" I think...

ach níl an uimhir seo 5.8% as na daoine a déanamh árdleibhéal ach 5.8% as an iomlán a déanann an árdteist. is dóigh liom anyway...

Ahh, ich sehe, vielen Dank. Mein Irisch ist nicht so gut. Mein Deutsch is besser, und ich lerne Deutsch fur vier Jahren. Ich lerne Irisch fur zwolf Jahren! There's no umlaut on my keyboard. :(

Ahh, go raibh maith agat. Ní mo Gaeilge go maith. Tá mo Gearmáinis go maith, agus *don't know verb to learn* mé Gearmáinis go ceithre mbliana. *don't know verb to learn* Gaeilge go dó deag mbliana (I know that's wrong).

Ahh, life.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, it would seem to be very difficult. A tiny 5.8% got an A1 in the 2009 examination at HL. A very meagre .7% got an A1 at OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

you'd get higher marks for not showing up for the exam !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

tóg = take

its "fuair 5.8% do na daoine a thóg Gaeilge A1 sna scrudaithe"

ye lot studied it for 11 years..............what gives.........can ye say it in french, or as we can see there german ? what does give actually

spartan1 wrote: »
    its "fuair 5.8% do na daoine a thóg Gaeilge A1 sna scrudaithe"

ye lot studied it for 11 years..............what gives.........can ye say it in french, or as we can see there german ? what does give actually
    Well, when I started learning it at 4, I was busy with learning basic English and literacy tbh. I didn't even know the concept of a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Fuair 5.8% de na daoine A1 i nGaeilge (Árdleibhéal) an bhliain seo caite

Pedantic pat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

Well, when I started learning it at 4, I was busy with learning basic English and literacy tbh. I didn't even know the concept of a foreign language.

erm, its not a foreign language

spartan1 wrote: »
    erm, its not a foreign language
    Sorry, meant as in not-my-first-language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

If you do really well in the Oral and the Aural then you're on your way to getting a good grade. If you don't have a good oral, well there's not much you can do. Especially if you're aiming for the A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

It's difficult but if you look at the percentages for other subjects you'll see they're not exactly a walk in the park either. An aside from this is that I can never predict my A1s...they can be rather random, in either of the subjects I teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

If your memory is like that of..... a computer then you're sorted!

If not, then you're in the same boat as every other person who has learned it for 13 years and still can't throw a sentence together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

to put it in context...im at a gaelcholaiste..speakin irish is no strain whatso ever..i do it day in day out..understanding inst a problem either obviously...basically my question is...how perfect does grammar have to be? as in tuisil ginideach and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

why in HL there is 5.80% getting A1s and in ORD .70% got A1s ?
    isn't higher harder .............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

ayumi wrote: »
    why in HL there is 5.80% getting A1s and in ORD .70% got A1s ?
    isn't higher harder .............................

No real reason, I'd guess that a lot of people who would be able to get A1's in ORD would try higher since they points for the lower grades are almost on par with the good ones in ORD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

My teacher says that the most important thing is oral, aural and aiste. If you're good at those 3 you shouldn't really have a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sabiansoldier

rinne mé é agus is amadán ceart mé...:) tá sé riachtannach gó dteatnaíonn an teanga leat...mura dtaitníonn,,,bhuel,,, tá tú i gcruachás mar ní bheidh tú in ann staidear ceart a dhéanamh. déan iarriacht a bheith ag caint agus ag scríobh na teanga (fiú má bhfuil tú ag cur am amú ar boards.ie i lár na hoiche) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

It's not hard at all if you know the grammar inside out and have a few impressive words to throw into things. I got a 100% on paper 1 this year, and the only correction marks were beside things that were gramatically correct. Grammar counts for everything.. well, almost. 80% of the aiste is for cruinneas and stór focail, and the other 20% is for ideas. It's not a case of having essays learned off at all (I literally revised one essay fourty minutes before the exam), but about grammar and being able to string a sentence together without mistakes. As far as poetry and prose goes, just revise whatever's in the book you're using and know the idea behind it inside out. Questions for the drama (I dunno about you but we did an Triail) are usually very predictive, so in that case alone, it's probably a good idea to learn off one or two, but know how to twist it to suit the question. Learn all of the Stair na Teanga too - absolute headwreck this year with the selection.. it was the same as the year before. I probably would've gotten 100% on both written papers if it wasn't for me being lazy with Stair.

Good luck (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mscannell

I'm not sure it will make a difference to whether you get an A1 in Irish but a good website to help you with your leaving cert is www.irishwordaday.ie . The one thing from the site that might help you improve your grade is the Irish Phrase or irish Sayings tab which is updated each week with a new Irish phrase that you could use in your leaving cert essay to impress the examiners. I've subscribed to the site and it sends an email Monday to Friday with a useful Irish word and the word in a sentence. It could also help with your Irish Oral exam as it has the phonetics beside the word and the sentence along with an mp3 file with someone pronouncing the word. Anyway hope it helps you improving your overall grade. Oh yeah and it's all free...Cheers!

http://www.irishwordaday.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

to put it in context...im at a gaelcholaiste..speakin irish is no strain whatso ever..i do it day in day out..understanding inst a problem either obviously...basically my question is...how perfect does grammar have to be? as in tuisil ginideach and all?

If you want an A1, you should definitely know the tuisil ginideach. You'll need it for the listening - for example, this year, one of the answers was 'the price of travel', so it would've been praghas taistil instead of taisteal. Little marks like that are what add up to an A1.

Advertisement