Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Smithfield Market Ice Rink

Options
  • 11-11-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I've lived in Smithfield Market for a good few years and to be honest the sight of the rink being put up again makes me so pee'd off. Last year the music from 10am to 10.15pm was unbearable. I complained to the Council and they said that no one else was complaining. Is that the case, does anyone else have a problem with this? Are we going to have to deal with the latest pop song being BLASTED at us as we try to rest after a hard days work? Don't get me wrong, I think it brings welcome business to the area but there is absolutely no reason why the organisers have to play music at that level 7 days a week. Its probably going to go on until the end of January 2010 or maybe even Feb' 2010. Am I the only one living here that is sick to the teeth of this?? Any suggestions how to sort it out. A bit premature I know but when I saw it going up I had visions of the hell of last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I have lived in Smithfield Market for just a year and a half so I have only had to endure the ice rink last year.
    I hate it, doesn't belong in a residential area. Attracts huge amounts of undesirables to the area.
    It's an eye sore, and in my opinion the noise is worse at night time, all through the night the generators run to keep the ice from melting.
    The council won't do anything about it because they are getting a cut of it, or rent for using the square.
    As with the Horse fair once a month and this, they both belong in Phoenix park, not Smithfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 annab1212

Thanks a million for the reply, I was thinking that I can't be the only person who is driven insane by this. I'm gona look into the legalities of it, there are EU regulations/directions about noise in residential areas and I don't intend on spending 2 months being disturbed in my home (where I pay premium rent). I think because the apartments were section 23 tax break buy's that there probably aren't too many owner occupiers, there is no residents association and therefore no weight behind the complaints. Maybe its about time that changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I doubt that you were the only person to complain - I would suggest that you put a notice in your apartment complex lobby - or drop a note into other postboxes - asking that anyone who wishes to complain to contact X person in X department (wherever in the Dublin City Council Offices)

Anyways - best of luck with it - but doubt it will get anywhere.

suppose best way to do it would be complaints to department about noise pollution - I'm not living in Smithfield but have been around the area in previous years - the music is annoyingly high and could be a breach of regulations.

The notice in the lobby is a good idea, maybe when people know who to complain to (DCC, Environmental Protection Agency, Organisers, Management Co.) they might just do that. I have heard of people/companies taking legal action for disturbances such as this, all I want is peace and quiet when I come home in the evening :o

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tonylee

I live on the other side of the square and even there you can hear the noise of the generator going 24/7. I totally agree that it has no place in a residential square. I appreciate that Smithfield needs the biz, but not at such a cost to the people who have to live here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Smithfield used to be an absolute kip full of dodgy people, things like this ice rink have helped bring around the new era it has experienced so people living there should stfu.

Rb wrote: »
    Smithfield used to be an absolute kip full of dodgy people, things like this ice rink have helped bring around the new era it has experienced so people living there should stfu.

Do you live there?
    An ice rink didn't rejuvenate the area, developers did.

I agree with Universe777, the developers who built and people who bought the apartments etc. have rejuvinated the area. I have SERIOUSLY considered moving because of the rink and the nosie, its 2/3 months disturbance. Imagine your neghbour blasting music all day every day for that length of time. Even that wouldn't be as loud as what we have to endure. Tenants don't want to live in that environment and the lack of tenants will obviously negatively affect the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Do you live there?
    An ice rink didn't rejuvenate the area, developers did.
    Did I say that the ice rink was the sole reason the area is what it is today?

No, I didn't. Read the post properly before commenting on it or refrain from doing so.

I'll put it this way, if there were enough people complaining about it, it wouldn't be there any more, so obviously there isn't that many bothered enough by it to make them do something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's a big public area being used for bit fun by many city dwellers during a few rather gloomy months. It's perfectly served transport wise for easy access and it's size lends itself well to the bit of a fun fair that's held there.

You don't have to live there to have an opinion on it. The square didn't come with the apartments, it stayed in the hands of the city. Therefore we can all have an valid opinion.

It's fun, it's noisey, it's christmassy and it's in the city...deadly.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    It's a big public area being used for bit fun by many city dwellers during a few rather gloomy months. It's perfectly served transport wise for easy access and it's size lends itself well to the bit of a fun fair that's held there.

You don't have to live there to have an opinion on it. The square didn't come with the apartments, it stayed in the hands of the city. Therefore we can all have an valid opinion.

It's fun, it's noisey, it's christmassy and it's in the city...deadly.

All well and good, but until you live there and have to endure the noise for months??
    "Christmassy" goes on until the middle of January!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

No, I didn't. Read the post properly before commenting on it or refrain from doing so.

I'll put it this way, if there were enough people complaining about it, it wouldn't be there any more, so obviously there isn't that many bothered enough by it to make them do something.

maybe the people want to complain but the dont know who to complain to - or if they find the right department .... they might simply be ignored.

I dont live in Smithfield - but had a girlfriend living there - the noise is annoying and the people hanging around are just as noisey....and both equally annoying.

I will also point out that the rink has been there a number of years and before a lot of the apartments were completed (if my memory is correct) - so buyers knew what they were getting (so to speak).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PCPhoto wrote: »

I will also point out that the rink has been there a number of years and before a lot of the apartments were completed (if my memory is correct) - so buyers knew what they were getting (so to speak).

About right PC, I think it moved up there about 4 year ago. However the site was ear marked for re-generation with the idea that it could host a number of such like events. A few concert attempts were disasterous so they dis-continued them. But it wasn't just for concerts it was for this type of thing and the plans wre there for all to see. Enough poncey nambypamby gentrification for those buying in the city looking for the quiet of the country...those flats are plonked right on a square that was set aside for exactly these purposes. No use crying about it now.

Saying that 10pm every night does sound a little over the top. 9 pm on Mon, Tue and Wed should be late enough for those days I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Smithfield's still full of dodgy people. And it's more full of dodgy people when the ice rink is on. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Have you tired to raise with the Resident's committee who in turn can contact other residents of the Management Company to make a more structured complaint.

Obviously too late for 2009 but perhaps an action should be taken throughout 2010 rather than awaiting November before starting the complaint cycle again.

perhaps there is shielding which can be placed around the speakers to prevent the sound escaping all directions etc (I am not a technician) and solutions along these lines should be sought - there is no way they are gonna pull it, too good for tourism.

Also, has anyone involve the Environmental Health Dept (or through resident's committee a private company) to make a sound level check etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I wonder what the old native residents think?

Sundew wrote: »
    I wonder what the old native residents think?

There are "old" residents opposite Fresh and up to 2007 the rink was erected up there and I'd imagine that's why it's now down towards the Luas.

It is good for business and the area but there is no reason that the rink needs a DJ when DCC ran the rink they didn't have one I think it was a stereo or something and while you could hear it you could also hear your TV in your living room. Last year, different organisers and no respect for residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

I lived in Smithfield market for a number of years. I moved in when the first apartments were being let and later that year came the first smithfield ice rink. That year and for a couple of years afterwards I loved the ice rink. It was fun, christmassy and brought a lovely atmosphere to an area that was (and still is) full of retail outlets that have no shops in them yet! But that all changed when it went from being an outdoor rink to a covered one.
    Strangely enough when they covered the rink, it got louder and louder. Last year was a complete joke! There were points when it felt like there was a disco in my living room and I couldnt even hear my own television without turning up the volume to a really high level! One Sunday morning at 8am, I was woken up by some idiot playing Kings of Leon, but not content with that, they were playing with the volume control, turning it up really loud and then down again. This continued for an hour!! Myself along with some other residents emailed the council and the people running the rink. Each time we were fobbed off with replies of "we are sorry, we will try to ensure the noise levels go down" blah blah blah. Of course nothing changed. I had no problem with that ice rink being there, as I said it brought great atmosphere to the area. But I cannot understand why it has to be so much louder than it was when it was outdoors. I know it might not annoy everybody, but its unfair on people who work long hours and want a bit of peace when they get home in the evenings and a bit of a sleep on their weekends rather than a disco in their bedroom!
    If they could start off having a great ice rink with noise levels that didnt make life hell for residents, then surely theres no excuse for how loud it seems to be in recent years. Who knows it could be better this year but I highly doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Another uninformed comment from somebody who should just stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lazarusheart

I’m with you on this one. I have worked in the market for 3 three years and know what to expect. But now Im also living directly above the upcoming ice rink. The festivals during the summer were loud enough but I didn't mind them as I can appreciate a free public cultural event and they only last a day or two.

But the Smithfield ice rink is not a free public event it's a money spinner for Mark Bowes from the ice rink production and I'm sure the city council is making a nice share from it too.

The rink will open from the 20th of November until the 10th of January. That’s almost two months!

Again it's nothing against the Ice Rink and I agree the area is in need of business but not under the expense of the well being of the residants.

The funny thing is I just can’t imagine the city council would have approved of having a concert everyday for two months smacked into the middle of a full blown residential area (not even a free event) blasting music 7 days a week from 11am till 11pm and even later during the weekend. Not to mention during the Christmas holidays (e.g. Stephen’s day) so why did they approve of this when there is Europe's largest public park just 5min from here with both Luas access and parking???

I also think that is profiteering from this could still make their money my just relocating. There are plenty of other areas such as public parks all over the city. Phoenix Park is just one of the many. Wouldn't that make more sense? Luas access, walking ground,parking, the zoo...

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »

I can assure you that wasn't brought up in the sales pitch. Events yes but not 2 month long 7 days a week from the early wee hours to 11pm... And with the property value having gone down it's not exactly the time to move out either. Nope we are stuck here until the rise of property...in other words a very long long time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

The thing that gets me is that I don't think that the loud pop music is essential to the whole ice-skating experience.

Would there be much of a change in the number of people going skating if there was no music played? I really doubt it.

Seems totally unnecessary if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I live near Smithfield, and the noise from the rink is a disgrace. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to listen to that techno crap blaring all day living in the square.

Maybe you should try raising it with some of your local councillors who might get on to the right people in the council to ensure noise is kept to a minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

annab1212 wrote: »
    The notice in the lobby is a good idea, maybe when people know who to complain to (DCC, Environmental Protection Agency, Organisers, Management Co.) they might just do that. I have heard of people/companies taking legal action for disturbances such as this, all I want is peace and quiet when I come home in the evening :o

Thanks

Hello OP,

With you on this!
    I live on the far side of the square and am dreading the noise, it's ridiculous. The ice rink was much nicer and Christmassier and had a much better atmosphere when it was outdoors. Anyway... Any chance you could post up (or PM me) any relevant contact details you might have for the EPA/DCC etc? I'll be writing to them too if this year is as bad as last!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

The thing that gets me is that I don't think that the loud pop music is essential to the whole ice-skating experience.

Would there be much of a change in the number of people going skating if there was no music played? I really doubt it.

I think this is a key point, and I hope people will include it in their letters of complaint. No-one is suggesting a fall in revenue. It's simply a question of not alienating the residents.

Nobody has ever left a skating rink because the music wasn't loud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Seems totally unnecessary if you ask me.

Perfectly logical point from you. But this is Ireland, so just be thankful they're not playing loud music and forcing people to drink ****e beer before they can get on the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

When you say "if there were enough people complaining" how many do you suppose is enough? Every local I've spoken to about it hates the rink. Rubbish ends up everywhere, the noise, annoying crowds, irate Gardaí. The council must have gotten more than just a few complaints. I'd say it's more likely that the council ignores them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Maybe give Joe Duffy a call and see if Liveline would like to do a piece on it. Perhaps instead of the "comedy" smug-a-thon they have on Fridays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

When you say "if there were enough people complaining" how many do you suppose is enough? Every local I've spoken to about it hates the rink. Rubbish ends up everywhere, the noise, annoying crowds, irate Gardaí. The council must have gotten more than just a few complaints. I'd say it's more likely that the council ignores them.

A lot easier for the council to ignore 10 people complaining individually as opposed to a 10 person delegation from the Smithfield Residents' Association Against Noise Pollution (SRAANOP)

Perhaps enlist some local councillors (maybe even TDs) with the promise of remembering them come next election time ?

If I lived in Smithfield I'd definately be organising some sort of campaign against this. Might involve a bit of work but would think it would be worth it.

• Advertisement

bugler wrote: »
    Perfectly logical point from you. But this is Ireland, so just be thankful they're not playing loud music and forcing people to drink ****e beer before they can get on the ice.

Hahaa BEER ON ICE!:D

Advertisement