Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATTENTION everybody who uses facebook in the PACRs

• 11-11-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

PLEASE READ THIS NOW:

http://computercentre.nuim.ie/policies/code_of_conduct.shtml

Under the Code of Conduct you are not permitted to:
    1. engage in activities which waste resources (people, networks, computers);
    2. engage in activities which are likely to cause a serious disruption or denial of service to other users;

These are the first two rules in the use of university computers code of conduct. They are the first two for a reason. You agreed to abide by these rules when you registered.

These rules refer specifically to "activities" that waste time and deny other students access to resources that they could desperatley need in the next half hour. BEING ON FACEBOOK ON PACR/LIBRARY PCS IS WASTING TIME.

I am taking this to the computer centre, to the SU and I am personally going to say it to every single person who is on facebook in a PACR/the library the next time I have to QUEUE because they are on facebook.

There were Third Year English essays due today and Philosophy essays aswell, and probably more assignments and study needing to be done for today. Yet at 3pm, when my friend and I went to the arts block PACR (Rye Hall and Callan being full), we had to queue for 45minutes whilst people were on facebook in order to submit our essays. When the Computer Assistant walked around, the facebookers (although I call them something much ruder in my head), switched tabs to moodle/webmail and looked as though they were doing work.
    1. While network traffic or information stored on University equipment is not normally monitored, it may be necessary to monitor if there is reason to suspect that this Code of Conduct is being breached, or for purposes of backup or problem-solving. You must therefore be aware that such monitoring may occur.

So yes, they CAN see what you are doing. And I will be reporting people, because this is getting ridiculous. Essays were due, and at one point in the arts block, there were TEN people queueing and 6 people doing the facebook/moodle flicker.

I'm posting this on boards because obviously people lurk here and will hopefully see this and realise that having moodle in the other tab doesn't mean you have the right to take up a whole computer. I know none of the boards.ie heads would do this (:cool:), but obviously some people do.

There is a time and a place for facebook, and by all means, bring your own laptop and sit somewhere else in the arts block and tag everybody/play farmville and cafeworld/comment on everybody's statuses BUT DON'T do it in the PACRs. They are for academic purposes and facebook is NOT an academic purpose.

Apologies for the mega rant but this is really getting ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Bring a laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Why don't they just ban access to Facebook?
    It's a very simple thing to do.

I think there should be a one-strike rule. None of this crap where people get given out to and switch tabs. If you're seen on facebook you should be kicked out straight away. No second chance.

Get caught three times... no more PACR access on your student number.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

While I agree with you in that it's mega frustrating when you want to do some work on a PC and you have to queue while people are on Facebook, it's nothing new. If you're in third year, you've definately experienced it before so why would you leave printing your essay to the last minute at the busiest time for computers in Maynooth?

Also, in future, why not use some of the PACRs on the South Campus? I've never had trouble getting a PC in the Computer Centre or Long Corridor at any time (apart from when there's a lecture in Long Corridor). It's only a five minute walk from the other PACRs and saves you the 45 minute wait on the North Campus.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

mp3guy > allandanyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

While I agree with you in that it's mega frustrating when you want to do some work on a PC and you have to queue while people are on Facebook, it's nothing new. If you're in third year, you've definately experienced it before so why would you leave printing your essay to the last minute at the busiest time for computers in Maynooth?

It wasn't me printing the essay, it was one of my scatterbrained friends, but the point I'm making here is that while in third year, I have obviously come up against this before, this year has seen an unprecedented rise in the amount of people using facebook everyday, and the computer centre has yet to block it from the University computers. If I want to download notes or look up stuff on the internet related to my academic studies, I shouldn't have to queue whilst I wait for someone to finish up their wee session on facebook.
    Also, in future, why not use some of the PACRs on the South Campus? I've never had trouble getting a PC in the Computer Centre or Long Corridor at any time (apart from when there's a lecture in Long Corridor). It's only a five minute walk from the other PACRs and saves you the 45 minute wait on the North Campus.

Because I do most of my work on the North Campus, it's where my locker is and I do most of my in-between lectures study there. I'm not trekking over to the South Campus just to use a computer because 4 arseholes in the Arts Block/Rye couldn't give a crap about anyone else except who they're talking to on Facebook.

@mp3guy: I would bring my own laptop if I could, but I still can't connect to the internet on campus and haven't got a chance to get to a wireless clinic so PACR is the only option for me during the day like other students who don't bring in/have laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

It wasn't me printing the essay, it was one of my scatterbrained friends, but the point I'm making here is that while in third year, I have obviously come up against this before, this year has seen an unprecedented rise in the amount of people using facebook everyday, and the computer centre has yet to block it from the University computers. If I want to download notes or look up stuff on the internet related to my academic studies, I shouldn't have to queue whilst I wait for someone to finish up their wee session on facebook.
    Fair enough. I was of the impression it was you who was printing it.
    I think the simple reason in the increase of these cases is because of the huge increase in students this year. I've noticed the car parks are full at around 10am this year and the library is busy already which usually never happens until before exams.
    Because I do most of my work on the North Campus, it's where my locker is and I do most of my in-between lectures study there. I'm not trekking over to the South Campus just to use a computer because 4 arseholes in the Arts Block/Rye couldn't give a crap about anyone else except who they're talking to on Facebook.
    It's hardly a trek to the Computer Centre on the South Campus is it? It's like 3 minutes from the footbridge. Although if you need to print stuff I see your point. Long Corridor is a bit further. I'm lucky in that I'm on the South campus mostly nowadays.
    But I'd applaud you for reporting people on Facebook in PACRs. I remember back when Bebo was still big and the Callan computers stretched the length of the building, it wasn't uncommon to have 2 in 3 of them on Bebo. Twas infuriating when you needed to do some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

But, but, but, but.... they have to harvest their crops on FarmVille!!!111

Fully agree with you, why do they bother coming to College at all tbh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Simple resolution to the problem.

Ask them to get off the computer as you need to use it for something important.
    If they don't oblige get the supervisor to kick them off it or you can just ask someone who isn't so ignorant.

If you just do this then people can use facebook if they choose to and you can print your essay. Rather than someone complaining to the heads and Facebook getting banned.
    People ask others to let them on computers all the time, it's no huge bother to anyone concerned either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wanted: Members for potential vigilante group to remove assholes doing **** all while there's a queue in the library.

@Mp3guy: lots of people don't have 370+ quid to fork out for a laptop.

Now, I'm guilty myself of playing around on FB on the library PCs, but I'd always stop and leave as soon as a single person arrived to queue. These folk are just assholes.

I'll bring it up with the SU to ban facebook in the library.

banquo wrote: »

Now, I'm guilty myself of playing around on FB on the library PCs, but I'd always stop and leave as soon as a single person arrived to queue. These folk are just assholes.

Aye that's grand, I mean if you were in the Arts block at 9oc of a Wednesday evening (which I usually am) and there's only 4 or 5 other people there, well then obviously it's grand, same with the library. I would go on boards the odd time if I was staying late, just for a little break from study or whatever. But this business of having 10 people queueing and 6 or 7 people on facebook KNOWING that there's a queue is ridiculous. How about they go queue in Callan or at the pod instead.
    I'll bring it up with the SU to ban facebook in the library.

And the arts block, please. Signs in the PACR do s.f.a. Seriously one day ye will walk in and there will be bits of brain all over the computers from my head having exploded because of arseholes with no respect for people who actually want to get a first/generally do well in college and not the blue ribbon in fricking farmville.

• Advertisement

It's crazy hard to get anything done. SU would (I think, I don't fully know) have to wait for the next library meeting, then they're to go ask someone to do it, and then that person has to find time, etc etc. It's exactly what you'd expect from a heaving beaurocracy.

I've emailed Brian Murphy, I'll be dropping in tomorrow probably to see if there's anything I can do to get it done faster - or at least before the Christmas madness starts. It's pretty mental alright.

The worst part is that facebook is so wonderfully useful for a lot of college-related stuff, it's a pity that the privilege gets abused this way and it becomes no longer teneble.

EDIT: What if it was just in the library?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Didn't they ban Bebo back in the day, can they not do the same to facebook?

I'm glad I can use the computer labs... muhahaha!

But what's the point having it just blocked in the library? I presume it's something controlled by the computer centre (although I could be wrong here) so why can't they just block facebook in the PACRs and the Library and allow access to it at the Arts pod and in Callan, basically, as Holsten said, do exactly what they did with bebo? The PACRs are for academic purposes and facebook (in the manner in which most people are using it in the PACRs - farmville, chat, commenting on stuff, tagging photos, general arsing about) is not an academic purpose.

It's true that you can do a lot of stuff on FB that has nothing to do with academic work. But the same could be true of the entire internet. Music students can get important music from youtube shared, etc. It has a lot of uses.

Also, everyone has an account and I think everyone should be allowed to check it when there's nobody around. So maybe there's some algorithm that could be put in place that meant that if <80% of all comps in use then FB gets blocked, otherwise allow.

The queues are worst of all in the library. Really abominable.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

In my secondary school, Bebo was the first site to get blocked... Then youtube... Then facebook... Then Google Images... Then NotDoppler... Then a lot of email servers were banned...

Basically, if you ban Facebook, then you have to ban a hell of a lot of sites because if people can't use it, then they'll use something else. Most of the time, the only reason they are there is to waste time before a lecture so they'll do it- Facebook or no Facebook.

I have to agree though that FB is a great resource for college related stuff (not just Farmville!) but it is really unfair to use it when others need it.

The only way to keep people happy would be to have some kind of priority check done as you walk through the door... Which is impossible and will never happen.

If they ban FB, boards will probably be next!

I don't think banning is the right solution, where does it stop?
    Just be more assertive when you need a pc, ask them if you can use it as you've got something important to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Effluo wrote: »
    I don't think banning is the right solution, where does it stop?
    Just be more assertive when you need a pc, ask them if you can use it as you've got something important to do!

Effluo's got a serious point...

Remember GCS's system of banning? One of the lads used to challenge Enda to see if he could find all of the proxy sites before they were banned. In the end Enda told him that he wasn't mad- just impressed

You've both got a very good point - that it's some naughty people, not facebook, that are the problem.

Back to the vigilante group idea! Oh please?

You've both got a very good point - that it's some naughty people, not facebook, that are the problem.

Back to the vigilante group idea! Oh please?

Ok, I agree with that. In fact, my first very grumpy post in this thread was directed at the people who qualify arsing about on facebook as academic activity which it's not. So yes, 'tis the people that are the problem. But what can be done about that? People don't give a crap about other people's academic needs, same goes for people who act the muppet in the library. Don't make me post Aretha Franklin again.

Shall we discuss it over drinks? All of us? Tomorrow night?

• Advertisement

Shall we discuss it over drinks? All of us? Tomorrow night?

Robert, I will not devote my Friday night to ranting about facebook. I devote enough time to that on here. Anyway I'm going to Dublin tomorrow night. But next week perhaps.

Yay!

ps: ''Rob''

/st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Im not a big fan of facebook but if your going to ban facebook, should you not ban everything else that isn't academic related?

If FB does get banned, it'd be because it's very possible to spend hours on it. Though I guess you could say the same for YouTube, etc. The problem would be the middleground sites (eg, youtube) that can be used either for academic stuff or for wasting time.

Maybe we should just stick to booting these people off the PCs instead...

Yay!

ps: ''Rob''

/st

I don't like nicknames/shortened versions of names, although there are exceptions. I just don't. Especially nicknames. (Glares at Nationalist, yes I remember that conversation!)

As an aside, call me "Rach" and you die. That is all.

Back OT, can you give me 5 examples of how facebook has its educational aspects Rob? (;)) Not being smart, but I'm looking at my groups here and only have a few things that could be construed as being educational, and that's if I stretch the truth a tiny bit.

Oh no, my mistake! I'm all for banning FB, I Just don't want the powers that be going on a banning spree...

/wraps arms around laptop to protect boards.ie

Oh no, my mistake! I'm all for banning FB, I Just don't want the powers that be going on a banning spree...

/wraps arms around laptop to protect boards.ie

Can't see them going on a banning spree, especially when youtube has very obvious educational aspects, whereas facebook has none. I can understand having to wait for a PC while someone is listening to a piece of music for a music class or watching a documentary for History, that's cool. Facebook has no educational aspect to it whatsoever, and it's in complete violation to the Computer Centre's code of conduct because it wastes not only the users time but the queueing people's time aswell as wasting a resource (the computer) which not everybody has access to at home- which means all my giving out is completley justified. :D

Well the Su contact us through facebook, how else are we to know what's going on?

Effluo wrote: »
    Well the Su contact us through facebook, how else are we to know what's going on?

Check your facebook when you go home/on your own laptop/in Callan/in the Arts block pod or find out info the old fashioned way and read the posters!

I love facebook, don't get me wrong but I absolutely HATE people using it in PACRs designated for academic purposes.

• Advertisement

Well the Su contact us through facebook

They don't really, they just share something on their profile and hope, haphazardly, everybody sees it. But I see what you mean.

The su deserve their own little spot on nuim.ie. And get proper access to the all studentsey email list. Or, librarians could just learn to recognise FB when they see it and be like 'OI!'

Advertisement