Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATTENTION everybody who uses facebook in the PACRs

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

Can't see them going on a banning spree, especially when youtube has very obvious educational aspects, whereas facebook has none. I can understand having to wait for a PC while someone is listening to a piece of music for a music class or watching a documentary for History, that's cool. Facebook has no educational aspect to it whatsoever, and it's in complete violation to the Computer Centre's code of conduct because it wastes not only the users time but the queueing people's time aswell as wasting a resource (the computer) which not everybody has access to at home- which means all my giving out is completley justified. :D
    I use facebook a lot with other students and we share resources which are helpful for assignments so to say it has no educational benefit is not correct, its people using it for non educational things that's the violation, just as youtube can be used as an educational tool it can also be used to waste time and resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I use facebook a lot with other students and we share resources which are helpful for assignments so to say it has no educational benefit is not correct, its people using it for non educational things that's the violation, just as youtube can be used as an educational tool it can also be used to waste time and resources.

Yeah yeah, you're fooling noone boyo :rolleyes:

When I wanted a commodore 64 as a kid, I wanted it just to play games but like every other little kid I knew I pleaded with my mam to get it for me...'becuz it's edukashinul Ma'

As I said, been there, done that, I know BS when I smell it :pac:

Same thing with these kids in the PACRs. When I was an undergrad in NUIM I probably would have been too shy to say anything but not these days. If I was there now, I'd be making a huge scene and really embarrassing these timewasting little sh*ts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ok, a summary:

1. FB (we mostly agree) has no educational value and is worthy of banning in itself.
    2. However, there's a bad precedent for banning it - could lead to boards.ie, youtube, etc.
    3. FB isn't the problem itself, it's the people using it. Ban FB and they'll start bumming around on something else.

So the question is: do we think that banning FB will make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goonyougoodthin

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, you're fooling noone boyo :rolleyes:

When I wanted a commodore 64 as a kid, I wanted it just to play games but like every other little kid I knew I pleaded with my mam to get it for me...'becuz it's edukashinul Ma'

As I said, been there, done that, I know BS when I smell it :pac:

Same thing with these kids in the PACRs. When I was an undergrad in NUIM I probably would have been too shy to say anything but not these days. If I was there now, I'd be making a huge scene and really embarrassing these timewasting little sh*ts :)
    Actually boyo I don't play any games on facebook, I never access it in the pacr's either unless its work related, its handy to use in the CS labs or when using my own laptop, and if you had read my post I said its the people using it for non educational things that's the violation, if you need a pc and someone's planting crops tell them to get off or report it.

*Resists urge for back-seat modding*

Ah, that's better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 terribletim

Facebook is sh1te, t'is true... Question: Are third year english and philosophy essays less of a waste of time?

Question: is bringing up the university's code of conduct possibly the gayest thing that one can do?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

All I can say is, should've done computer science ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Facebook is sh1te, t'is true... Question: Are third year english and philosophy essays less of a waste of time?

I presume you don't mean that in an "Arts-subjects-are-a-waste-of-time" way. :rolleyes:
    Question: is bringing up the university's code of conduct possibly the gayest thing that one can do?

Well clearly the students using facebook in the PACRs and Library PCs don't have manners or the common courtesy to allow people who clearly need to do academic work onto the computer they are using to chat to their friends on. So when manners and common courtesy fail, then yes, I do think it's important to remind students that they are breaking the code of conduct and therefore their computing priveledges in NUIM could be withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Girl beside me today was on farmville, very annoying! All those colours distracting me from my important Weberian shiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'd be making a huge scene and really embarrassing these timewasting little sh*ts :)

Oh them horrible people that use facebook in the pacr.
    Having to use the pod pc's would be way more embarrassing than being asked to give up your pc for someone who wants to print somethin.(someone might think you're on bebo)

I see it as a bit like an oldish man getting onto a train and your sitting in the designated "i'm too old/fat to stand" seats. There's gonna be that awkward moment when you look at them assessing if they really need the seat or not, how old/pregnant or disabled they are. You know what i mean

They'll look at you with a kind of, "i've got too much dignity to ask" look. Then you have to make the decision, whether to laugh at them as they nearly fall down as the train gets jerky with their knees in motion.
    They get more agitated looking at you with increased desperation, they might even crack and ask you for a seat or if they don't someone else is bound to offer theirs instead.
    Or you can just ask them if they'd like the seat make a positive move to help them and your conscious.

This happened to me the other day, in the pacr. Guy was on farmville, i was pretty annoyed as i had just got charged for scanning some pages onto a usb stick and i wanted to check if they had all scanned b4 leaving. There were no pc's free, I waited for abou 5 minutes lookin at a guy on facebook.
    Then someone else came behind me and after around 30seconds of waiting asked him (politely) if he could use it as he needed to print some stuff out. The guy said, "sure no probs".

Another example this time about going to the SU about facebook and why i think it's a bad idea to do that.
    I lived with some girls last year and OMG they were terrible... I know this can be a problem right across the board but my god did they bitch.
    They had a problem cause one my housemates never cleaned up after himself, from the first week till the last they just went on about it behind his back. They never confronted him about it and eventually went to the Landlord declaring him an unholy mess.

In a way this is what going to the SU about the Facebook problem is, give the people a chance to redeem themselves before you condemned them.

Just ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

give the people a chance to redeem themselves before you condemned them.
    There are rules that they are constantly ignoring. Person in the office comes out to generally announce no non-academic use, and they switch tabs to pretend they're doing something useful. Tough... I'm happy to rat them out as often and as loudly as I can and get them off the computer that way rather than asking politely. Screw them. It's a complete lack of consideration for others. They've had their chance and refuse to follow the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

It's not used for educational purposes. Anything educational such as sharing material or communicating can be done much more efficiently by other means. So I can't see why it would be used for educational purposes.

The only people who can claim that is a research group I'm aware of that study social networking sites and have written a couple of papers on facebook. So fair enough if I saw one of them on facebook, I wouldn't bother them.

Anyway, it's fine so long as there's no que but you have to be some dickhead to sit there wasting time while there's a que of people who need your computer.

Facebook is a bit of a scapegoat in fairness, I see more people, watching c omedy sketches and music videos. in fact at any one time I'd guess that 30% of computers are actually being productivly used for learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

pisslips wrote: »
    It's not used for educational purposes. Anything educational such as sharing material or communicating can be done much more efficiently by other means. So I can't see why it would be used for educational purposes.

The only people who can claim that is a research group I'm aware of that study social networking sites and have written a couple of papers on facebook. So fair enough if I saw one of them on facebook, I wouldn't bother them.

Anyway, it's fine so long as there's no que but you have to be some dickhead to sit there wasting time while there's a que of people who need your computer.

Facebook is a bit of a scapegoat in fairness, I see more people, watching c omedy sketches and music videos. in fact at any one time I'd guess that 30% of computers are actually being productivly used for learning.

Yet again though you can say the same for boards.ie...? Youtube etc etc again...

Yet again though you can say the same for boards.ie...? Youtube etc etc again...

But realistically, when there's a queue of people waiting to use a computer, you cannot deny that the usual cause for the queue is about 4 or 5 inconsiderate arseholes on facebook.

People on youtube could actually be watching something beneficial to their course, and any boardsie in their right mind wouldn't be that inconsiderate to leave people waiting :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Of course, all arts subjects pale under the bursting raw sexual energy of the rock hard sciences

Wouldn't want to catch the ghey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

PLEASE READ THIS NOW:

http://computercentre.nuim.ie/policies/code_of_conduct.shtml

These are the first two rules in the use of university computers code of conduct. They are the first two for a reason. You agreed to abide by these rules when you registered.

These rules refer specifically to "activities" that waste time and deny other students access to resources that they could desperatley need in the next half hour. BEING ON FACEBOOK ON PACR/LIBRARY PCS IS WASTING TIME.

I am taking this to the computer centre, to the SU and I am personally going to say it to every single person who is on facebook in a PACR/the library the next time I have to QUEUE because they are on facebook.

There were Third Year English essays due today and Philosophy essays aswell, and probably more assignments and study needing to be done for today. Yet at 3pm, when my friend and I went to the arts block PACR (Rye Hall and Callan being full), we had to queue for 45minutes whilst people were on facebook in order to submit our essays. When the Computer Assistant walked around, the facebookers (although I call them something much ruder in my head), switched tabs to moodle/webmail and looked as though they were doing work.

So yes, they CAN see what you are doing. And I will be reporting people, because this is getting ridiculous. Essays were due, and at one point in the arts block, there were TEN people queueing and 6 people doing the facebook/moodle flicker.

I'm posting this on boards because obviously people lurk here and will hopefully see this and realise that having moodle in the other tab doesn't mean you have the right to take up a whole computer. I know none of the boards.ie heads would do this (:cool:), but obviously some people do.

There is a time and a place for facebook, and by all means, bring your own laptop and sit somewhere else in the arts block and tag everybody/play farmville and cafeworld/comment on everybody's statuses BUT DON'T do it in the PACRs. They are for academic purposes and facebook is NOT an academic purpose.

Apologies for the mega rant but this is really getting ridiculous.

we had the same problem with bebo in 06 when i was in sligo IT. we had our own lab from 6:00pm - 10:00pm every evening with special media software installed for our course, they were really fast pcs at the time. We had to get lecturers down to kick people out of the lab because t one stage up to 75% of the pcs were taken up with people on bebo. The next week bebo was blocked :D im shocked it was never blocked in NUIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The next week bebo was blocked :D im shocked it was never blocked in NUIM

It was, until word got around about hidemyass.com

There was a quiet period between the decline of bebo/emergence of facebook, but this round seems to be worse than bebo was when I was an undergrad. Anytime I pass through callan or the library, it seems to be 70-80% facebook/farm game.

A lot of this could be solved by the students though, get nasty with the next arsehole who flicks the tab over to moodle

efla wrote: »

A lot of this could be solved by the students though, get nasty with the next arsehole who flicks the tab over to moodle

That's my plan!

Although slight breakthrough today when the CA on duty actually went around and said to people on facebook to get off the computer, people needed the comps for academic purposes. I didn't even say anything but obviously people are just getting sick of waiting for arseholes to comment on their statuses ten times and are just reporting them!

Woohoo!

I remember last year when a load of essays were due on the one day.. they had to kick a load of people off, anyone with even a tab open containing youtube/facebook/bebo ended up computerless :D

In library now.

Red rum.

• Advertisement

I be queuing again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fella working there made an announcement earlier today asking those not using the computers for academic purposes to fck off finish up within two minutes. Spot on. Heading over there now myself to do a few assignments.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why does no one use the long corridor room? There's stacks of free PCs and you can facebook all you want on them.

Cos the long corridor makes me dizzy :(

For me it's the may-or-may-not be openness.

Advertisement