Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer tripping RCD

Options
  • 11-11-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

As per title, I have a Whirlpool AFB823/3 integrated freezer and it's tripping the RCD when it's plugged in. It started as an intermittent problem about 6 months ago, occurring about every couple of weeks, lasting for only a few seconds and gradually got worse until it got to the current state of constant tripping. I couldn't track down the appliance causing the fault until it got as bad as it did. I don't see any obviously frayed wires but there's not much visible without doing some serious dismantling.
    Does the pattern described point anyone to what the fault could be? I suppose the compressor motor is the only real electrical component in the mix, unless it's the neon indicator lights but that seems unlikely.
    Given that these things are about €430 new, it may be worth getting fixed...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

pull out the freezer and in around the compressor they may be a water tray and is probably full which could be causing the problem. was the case with our fridge at one stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Check for local wiring probs anyhow just in case(It's not unknown).
    How exactly did you confirm it's the freezer giving trouble
    New regs don't require RCD protection for these,but that's not to say a faulty freezer should be taken off the rcd

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Is the freezer in need of defrosting?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

The RCD trips as soon as the freezer is switched on at the socket switch. Never when it's switched off or plugged out. I'd say it's fairly definitive that it's the freezer and not the socket or wiring (though I was fully expecting the dodgy extension wiring to be at fault).
    After I confirmed the freezer as the cause (a few weeks ago) I moved of all the food and defrosted it, took off the door and brought it outside to empty out all the water everything. No sign of any water or ice stuck anywhere externally visible.
    I didn't get a chance to plug it in again last night as dishwasher and washing machine (my early suspects in the chase!) were running and clock alarms were set for morning. I'll try it again this evening but even if it doesn't trip immediately, the fault is still there and will probably come back.

Given that the cooling pipes seem to be welded to the compressor, is it possible to replace the compressor on its own or does the whole lot have to come out?

Actually, now that I think of it, the freezer had developed a problem last year where the door alarm would go off even if the door was closed. The "fix" was to keep the quick freeze button on all the time.

Any opinions on where to go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Freezer now doesn't trip breaker immediately but I haven't left it in for long.
    Any experienced advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement