Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get cardboard boxes needed for moving house?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anyone know where to get used cardboard boxes for moving house? I can go anywhere between Blackrock and Malahide in Dublin for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

Argos used to sell moving sets with cardboards, tape, labels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Argos sell them, but make sure you get relatively strong ones as the cheaper boxes are really only suitable for carrying lightish items.

You could try Ikea either (I know that's probably a bit far away).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

62464_PE169190_S3.jpgPaper or Plastic68540_PE182704_S3.jpg both 99cent each

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I bought some plastic storage boxes from ikea that i`ll keep for storing stuff in shed or attic but will need a lot more for just a once off move and they work out pricey to buy lots, the Argos ones are smallish and the ones advertised in ikea for 99cent are shoe box size. I`ll try superquinn tomorrow, i got banana boxes from them before and they are quiet a good size and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I don't know where you 'd get free ones, apart from trying your local supermarket and hoping they'll be nice, but you can buy them at self-storage places like U-Store It and the like. Not that cheap, though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wine boxes from off licences. ask them and they should keep some for you the next time they get a delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I found that bookstores are the best place - try Waterstones, for example.

Also keep an eye our in the evening for tied-up stacks of flattened boxes left out for collection.

Buying boxes is a rip-off.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Supermarkets generally wont mind people taking boxes. Though if its loads of them you're after Id find one that has a rear delivery yard you can reverse into and load up. I doubt the manager would want you wasting too much of their staff time dragging loads of boxes from the back into the store for you.

Ive found Aldi/Lidl handy for this respect in the past but Ive only ever asked for 1-2 boxes at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

IKEA do the best boxes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I used to just go into Spar and ask. Buy some brown tape and seal them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 LindaR

IKEA do great ones. also picked up lots from local Tesco.
    Any tips on removal companies south to northern ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

VIKING DIRECT

They also supply bubble wrap, packing tape and dispenser, etc. Used them earlier this year when moving house. Brilliant. You could also try some auto factor garages for boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Freddie59 wrote: »

Thats over €4 a box!
    For that price they better pack themselves :D

I'd have to +1 on the wine boxes from an offy.
    They are both solid and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LindaR

Thanks Freddie59 . Will give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Another alternative would be hire-a-crate ( http://www.hire-a-crate.ie/ ).

You rent crates(boxes) from them and return them when your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Thanks for all the suggestions, i didnt go down the buying boxes route as its expensive. I went to the local big supermarket in the mornings about 8:30 as they were restocking but before all the boxes were crushed, I got loads of banana boxes which are a great size.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Buying boxes is indeed very expensive for just a once off endeavour of moving house or the likes.

I always suggest to customers to go to their local supermarket and ask can they take some off their hands as most will be more than happy to let you have them. If you're near a Dunnes Stores with a bakery, Cuisine De France have decent boxes and you may find it easier to get boxes off the bakery department than any other. This is what a customer told me :)

Here's some tips pasted from my site on packing.
    Use Boxes and Bags!

Boxes make moving so much easier, safer and quicker. The van can be loaded much quicker and because boxes can be stacked easily, there will be no space wasted. It's best to have all boxes the same size and the best size is about 20 inches / 50 cm square as these can be lifted by one person alone and anything bigger usually risks the bottom falling through if the contents are too heavy. It is ideal for all loose items to be in boxes. Soft items such as duvets, clothes and towels are best packed in large bags such as refuse sacks. These can be squeezed into any gaps thus reducing movement in transit. For an example of just how much you can fit into a full van load when you have packed well, click here.

Pack in advance

Start collecting your boxes a few weeks in advance, try asking at supermarkets and local shops, who will normally have plenty of unwanted boxes. Start packing at least a week before you are due to move, leaving only the essential items for the last minute rush.

Label your boxes

Label your boxes clearly and if possible make a list of the items in each box and keep it to hand.

Seal all boxes

Please close and seal all of your boxes, boxes left open with items protruding can be dangerous, awkward to carry and difficult to stack in the van.

Don't over fill your boxes

Please do not over fill your boxes, remember that they have to be carried by you and your driver, if they are too heavy this will cause problems and the box may even break under the weight.

Don't under fill your boxes

Please do not under fill your boxes either, this may cause the boxes to collapse if heavy items are put on top. Try to distribute your items evenly throughout your boxes.

Bagging items

If possible try to use suitcases, rucksacks and other items of luggage to pack clothes etc, these are preferable to black plastic bags which are often over filled and tear easily. If you do have to use sacks try to use top quality bags or even garden refuse bags which are very thick.

You wouldn't believe how much easier following the above simple steps makes a house move. It speeds it up big time. An important part of moving somebodies belongings is to make sure nothing moves in the back of the van and when everything is in Tesco "bag for life" bags and loose ornaments and little stereos on their own, it takes a lot more time to find a safe spot for everything.

Once you've unpacked everything you can just recycle the boxes too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jacob07

Buy your boxes from Space Self Storage M50 South Dublin. Also have Bubble wrap, packing tape etc.
    www.spacestorage.ie

Advertisement