Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I expect at my PRTB adjudication?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello all,

I am a few weeks away from my first PRTB adjudication. I took a case against a tenant who wrecked my property. I provided photographic evidence and documented as much as I could. I find myself nervous particularly as I hear that the PRTB can be very pro-tenant.

What can I expect on the day? Should I wear a suit to make myself look more conservative (or would that make me look like the "wealth" landowner versus the poor tenant?). What documentation should I bring on the day, or should I have everything sent in in advance? What happens if the tenant doesn't show up on the day?

Any other tips on how to prepare, or what to say on the day?

thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Had one this time last year. very informal chat with adjudicator. Bring copies of evrything you have though... even if they have them already.

In our case, tenant didnt show but adjudication still goes ahead. we were awarded what we sought (probably helped by the fact that the tenant wasnt there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vaquero

Hi David,

thanks for the reply! That sounds positive. I'd be very confident of my case, but have heard they can be very pro-tenant. I'd be surprised if the tenant shows, but she was incredibly good at selling herself (she certainly fooled me when I first interviewed her for the house), so if she does show, I'd be worried.

Good to hear you were awarded what you sought - can I ask you how they enforced the actual payment? I know my ex-tenant is going to claim she's penniless.

Also I know it sounds a bit silly, but did you dress up on the day? How was the adjudicator dressed? Is it like a court?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Dress wise - the adjudicator was in a suit. 2 of us went..... i wore trousers and jumper and she was smart casual... black trousers and a top of some sort.

The PRTB office is divided in rooms - you wait in a waiting area and then the adjudicator calls you both in. It is just a small office eith a round table and from what I understand tenant sits on one side and you on another. (There was an empty chair for the no-show tenant)

Adjudicator reads through the file and discusses it. You do not get a descision on the day - the adjudicator just makes a recommendation to the board after viewing the file and talking to you both (takes about 8 - 10 weeks :mad:). The PRTB writes to you then with their descision. Our tenant just got a bill which took her about 6 months to pay. I really do not know what happens when they dont pay.

TBH, we found them fair.... have had 2 cases (this one we won and the other we lost - we lost as we were not there owing to an urgent family crisis and PRTB could not adjourn it as it was too late) So if your tenant doesnt show there is a very good chance you will win - they dont like no-shows.

Just make sure that the adjudicator is clear on the facts.... you will kind of get a feeling of his recommendation while talking to him.

Takes about 10 minutes in total. But dont be nervous - it really is very informal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 vaquero

David,
    thanks so much! That's very helpful to read your words. I hadn't realised there would be such a gap before a verdict. Good to hear justice is done in this country though.

thanks again and all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Shelka

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info already on Boards about the PRTB adjudication process – it’s been a big help already!

I have an adjudication for a deposit dispute coming up next month and I am just wondering what to submit before it happens. I am going to submit all the pertinent emails and receipts from myself and my former landlord but I have another ‘statement’ document written outlining why I chose to bring the case to the PRTB which I’m not sure whether to submit or just bring on the day. It goes in to detail on the various items on a large bill that my landlord gave me, and reasons I am refuting responsibility for these items.

I know that both parties get to see what is submitted before they turn up. On the one hand, I’m worried taht if I don’t submit my entire statement that I won’t have an opportunity to say all I need to on the day (or worries I’ll forget a point because I am nervous!).

On the other hand, although my former landlords know my reasons for bringing them to the PRTB, I don’t necessarily want them to review my statement beforehand. I don’t mean to be secretive or hold anything bac (I feel I have a strong case and evidence to get my deposit back) but I’m afraid of the lengths that my former landlords will go to to keep the money and so I don’t exactly want to help them devise comebacks or twist the meaning of my points.
    From what I understand, the adjudicator asks each party a series of questions, but is there any time given before then for a statement to be made? If so, for how long? Also, are you given the opportunity to refute things that they other party say?

Any thoughts?

Thanks a mil everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement